Wanted WTB - Titanium Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(assuming slots are appropriately burred).
Hollis SS backplate, laser cut, edges not radiused - $175
Halcyon SS backplate, edges fully radiused - $254, same site.
Helium Ti backplate, edges fully radiused - $239, same site.
So, you'd rather pay $79 for appropriately finished slots in stainless than $64 for the same feature in Ti. Sounds more like the anti-Ti contingent are the ones engaged in profligate signaling.

So I guess the real question is, what functional advantage does SS have over Ti, since it can, in many cases, be the more expensive option?

The price of Ti backplates falls solidly in the middle of steel and Al backplate pricing, and when you throw carbon fiber in the mix, it falls in the lower half of the range. Those who bash Ti backplates as ostentation don't seem to have shopped around much.

Newsflash: the Soviet Union, home to most of the world's Ti mines, fell about 3 decades ago, and capitalism took over, and soon after, half a dozen tool catalogs were selling Ti crowbars for $39. Rare earth elements are the new hot minerals. At Christmas I bought a bunch of Ti folding knives for everybody on my gift list at scuba.com for $15 each.

So, you'd rather pay $79 for appropriately finished slots in stainless than $64 for the same feature in Ti. Sounds more like the anti-Ti contingent are the ones engaged in profligate signaling.

So I guess the real question is, what functional advantage does SS have over Ti, since it can, in many cases, be the more expensive option?

The price of Ti backplates falls solidly in the middle of steel and Al backplate pricing, and when you throw carbon fiber in the mix, it falls in the lower half of the range. Those who bash Ti backplates as ostentation don't seem to have shopped around much.

Newsflash: the Soviet Union, home to most of the world's Ti mines, fell about 3 decades ago, and capitalism took over, and soon after, half a dozen tool catalogs were selling Ti crowbars for $39. Rare earth elements are the new hot minerals. At Christmas I bought a bunch of Ti folding knives for everybody on my gift list at scuba.com for $15 each.

Deburred edges. Is there a Ti plate in your catalog of Ti tools?

I don’t think you’re articulating your argument very constructively, if there is one. Do you have an example of a failed steel or aluminum plate?

I use a steel plate because it distributes weight more evenly than a lighter aluminum/carbon fiber/titanium plate for the diving I do.

I have an old OMS plate made from TI. Many, (many,) years ago, OMS was considering adding a Ti plate to their line up and they had a few made. I was lucky enough to get an unfinished one and hand finish it like a samurai sword. It's way cool looking.

But it was doomed as a retail product. The weight falls between steel and aluminum so it has no advantage of either and the huge retail price would have made it a non starter (per the market at that time.)

But I have to admit, it's very cool and I use it.

I don't tech dive very much anymore so I have considered selling it from time to time. Something this cool should be out diving all over the world and a wad of actual cash in my hand would also be cool. But it has so much sentimental value that the price I would have to ask would not be realistic.

As I get older and I start to thin my scuba inventory maybe my price will start to drop.

I 💌 Titanium.
When Bryan of VDH starts selling Titanium backplates I'm in.

Deburred edges. Is there a Ti plate in your catalog of Ti tools?

I don’t think you’re articulating your argument very constructively, if there is one. Do you have an example of a failed steel or aluminum plate
That depends on your definition of failure. I've seen composite plates where bolts heads pulled through holes. I've seen someone have to sand rust off a stainless plate. The rust was in the slots and had the potential to abrade webbing.

My argument is that those knocking Ti plates are operating from faulty pricing information. Titanium doesn't command the premium it once did.

I use a steel plate because it distributes weight more evenly than a lighter aluminum/carbon fiber/titanium plate for the diving I do.
That's a reason particular to an individual.
The need for extra weighting and/or a particular distribution varies.

But it was doomed as a retail product. The weight falls between steel and aluminum so it has no advantage of either and the huge retail price would have made it a non starter (per the market at that time.)
That's the thing about markets - they're dynamic. Had OMS decided to produce them in quantity, that alone would have altered the market.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom