Xcd2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hardhat

Reaction score
Has any-one had any experience diving Bare's Xcd2 Drysuit? Front entry or shoulder entry. Likes or dislikes are what I would like to hear and why people like or dislike the suit. Also has any-one tried out Weezle Diving's undersuit (woolies) and what the thoughts on them are and why? Thanks for any feed back any-one can provide.

I've had an XCD2 front entry for nearly a year. It is my first drysuit, so I don't have much to compare it to. But I really like it. I am able to move around it quite easily, just as well as in my 7mm wetsuit. I went with the neoprene socks and trek boots - I had the vulcanized rubber boots originally and hated them. The end of the zipper (where it seals when you zip it up) started a slow leak last month so I've had to send it back for a repair. Otherwise, no complaints.

I have both the drysuit in question, as well as weezle undergarments. I have been pleased with both. I previously dove with a DUI CF200 and the suits are quite comparable in my opinion. My only complaint is that the valves are far superior in the DUI suit. Other than that, have been pleased. I purchased DUI rockboots because the Bare boots are WAY too big to fit a fin into. The DUI boots are much more reasonable.

Adam

I've had my XCD2Pro - back zip - for about a month now and I absolutely love it! Thanks Warren for being one of those who helped convince me to get it instead of the Nex-Gen. The ease of entry/exit, comfort and ease of use are major pluses. The suit is comfortable and really helps reduce the pre-dive stress associated with pulling on a wet suit. Recommendation: get suspenders installed in your suit and as Warren suggests - go with the soft feet/Trek Boot combo.
Neil

Thanks for the answers to my questions guys. I have the XCD2 Front entry, with soft boots and tech boots on order as well as the weezle undersuit. I was just curious to see what others thought of the suits. The DUI suit up here with underware comes out to around $5,000 Canadian, once it makes it across the boarder with exchange and duty. The bare and weezle suits end up costing my around $1,700 Canadian. Big difference isn't it. If any-one else has any replies to my queries about the suit I would really appreciate them. Thanks again, Tom

I had an XCD2 Tech Dry and after a few months I got rid of it and ordered a DUI CF200. GREAT suit! There is definately a reason why they are so popular and it 'aint just the name. Not to knock someone elses opinion but to compare The DUI CF200 to The XCD2 Tech Dry is like comparing apples and oranges. The CF200 material is much thinner than the XCD2 and WAY more stretchy and mobile. The XCD2 is VERY thick, knda like a regular neo suit. Crushed neoprene and Hyper Compressed neoprene are NOT the same. Read this:

http://www.dui-online.com/newsite/tech_crushed_neo.html

Also, DUI offers the true patented telescoping torso. The "torso reciol system" on the BARE was DEFINATELY not the same. The DUI version (the original version) is dramatic and it really makes it easy to get into. I felt so restricted and uncomfortable in the XCD2 and now in The DUI...it's just much better in all ways. Yes the DUI was bucks but I'll have it for many years and I couldn't be happier.

I should also mention that I custom ordered the BARE and THREE times they got it wrong and to be honest they never really got it right. Man, I hated that suit.

I love their hoods though...but not as much as the DUI hood.

I've had a front-entry XCD2 for a while now. Bought it to replace a Viking that was getting a little on the tired side. I've used it under the ice and in the lake, haven't had the chance to try it in the ocean yet. (Too dang far away.) Overall, I like the suit. Solid, well made. I agree with bigz that suspenders are a good idea. I went with the hard soles because there's a conspiracy in the rock-boot industry (Don't make them to fit my feet.) Disagree with AdamHorseman, my Mares Quattro's work just fine.

My one beef I mentioned in another post a while back. In my opininon Bare's sizing charts are a little screwed up. I'm 5'10", I bought a suit sized for 6'1", and the sleeves were waaaay too short. Bare's response was that "my arms are too long(?)" and charged me a fair amount of coin to have them modified. No warm fuzzy feeling there.

Hardhat,

Bought an XCD2 awhile back, began using it this last month in the Saint Lawrence River. Nothing to really compare it to, it's my first drysuit. I agree that it's a bit heavy and it takes a bit to dry since it's not a tri-lam, but you know what? It's really comfortable, it fits me well (custom made, a bit over a grand, call DiveTank, www.divetank.com for a deal, talk to the owner Rick, a licensed dealer/full warranty and Bare customizing done cheap). A few suggestions from my recent albiet junior experiences:
1. Get drysuit gloves. My 7mm arctic gloves are still chilly. Lots of folks make quality dry-gloves that last. Replacement gloves (the glove itself, minus the rings etc.) only cost about $8-10. Where? Try www.baconsdozen.co.uk for replacement SHOWA 660 PVC gloves. They come without the cotton liner, but are a great replacement.
2. Do as bigZ indicates...get them with the suspenders. XCD2 is heavier than most, so if you elect to wear it around your waist inbetween dives (I wouldn't suggest it, may damage the zipper) or to keep it from hanging too much weight on your shoulders topside, have them installed before delivery. Hopefully you've done this. If not, Bare offers an aftermarket installation kit.

I'm not an expert, nor very experienced, but I will say that my attached boots (not compression resistant latex sock) fit well and go into my fins easily, that my suit is easy to get in and out of, and that my Bare dry-gloves and hood provide a warm and comfortable day of diving in some pretty cold water up here.

Cheers,

John

No experience with that dry suit, but I own a set of Weezle Extreme underwear.

They are worth every penny you pay for them, I dive in a trilam, and I do it year round out here.... thanks to the weezles I stay nice and warm. I once flooded so badly that I had water sloshing around my ankles, but the underwear kept me warm in 38 F water. I've had them down as low as 30 F....

The way they wick moisture away from the skin is great, often I won't even know I had a trickle of water come in until I get my dry suit off, and the outside of the weezles is wet. I find that they do need a fair bit of air lofted in them to get the most warmth, but not a unreasonable amount.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom