Xs Scuba 120?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pepperbelly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My LDS has a slightly used XS Scuba Worthington steel tank for sale. It's stamped 3442 psi, so from reading here I think it's an HP120.
I recently started diving again after a long layoff from the sport. I began in the late 60s with dad. We had what are considered LP 72s the. AL 80s were the newest thing and we thought they were really cool in the '70s- more air.
I stopped diving in the '80s and recently started again. I took a refresher course and started accumulating gear. BCDs and computers were something we had never imagined then.
I bought an AL80 last year, and have discovered the buoyancy issues with them and have since wished I had read more about current tanks.
A LDS han an XS Scuba Worthington HP 120 tank on consignment for $300. I am thinking about buying it, especially since I am getting a Nitrox certification.
Is there a downside to this tank?
I have read several articles about HP vs LP but the issue isn't clear either way.
Is this a decent price?
Would I be better off with a different tank, like an HP 100?

I have close to 20 of them between HP100's and HP130's. I really like them because I can strap any of them on and dive them without changing my weighting. So far as I'm concerned the only down side is it seems hard to get really full fills at dive shops. I fill my own and get good fills but I have my shutoff pressure set high enough to give me the full 3442+ after cool down, about 3900#. Of course an underfilled HP120 still has a lot of air in it.

Reactions: Jax
We get 90 minute dives in Cozumel on HP120's. No buoyancy issues when low. Better weighting too. Price seems a little high, but, if it's fresh hydro and vis, it's a great tank. Steel flash rusts so plan on a tumble at vis time. I have 2 steels tanks and 7 aluminum, the steels are great with thicker wetsuits.
Jay

My LDS has a slightly used XS Scuba Worthington steel tank for sale. It's stamped 3442 psi, so from reading here I think it's an HP120.

If you want to split hairs a 3443 tank is not High Pressure, 3500 is. That's why 3500 psi tanks have 7/8 neck threads. However having said that 3442 psi tanks are routinely referred to as High Pressure as compared to 2400 or 2400+ tanks.

Scuba tanks and their working pressures and actual capacities are very convoluted.

Welcome back to diving.

Tobin

The only thing I can think of it the length of HP120. It is very long. If the length fit your need, get them. In fact, buy 2 of them if they have it in stock

Is there a downside to this tank? I have read several articles about HP vs LP but the issue isn't clear either way. Is this a decent price? Would I be better off with a different tank, like an HP 100?
I would echo the comment about length. It is a longer cylinder which may not be optimal for divers under 6' in height. I am 5' 10", I have two of them and they are good for me, although I admit I slightly prefer my HP100s simply because they are shorter, But, I very much like the weight, and trim characteristics, of my HP120 cylinders.

The HP vs LP question usually revolves around whether dive ops can give you a full HP fill. For years I said it was a non-issue, and never had a problem. I now work in a shop that simply can't fill beyond about 3300 psi (old, tired compressor). So, the argument for LP cylinders makes a bit more sense. But, I still prefer my HP cylinders.

As for price - by my standards, for a used HP120, it is a bit high. However, since these cylinders (hot dip galvanized) are no longer being made, the price is probably quite good. There are more than a few divers who do not care for the currently available HP steel options (painted Faber cylinders), so the relative scarcity is pushing prices up.

You may (or may not) be better off with a different cylinder - that really isn't something that people on SB can readily tell from afar. But, if you are of average height (>5'10") or above, I think you would probably enjoy the cylinder.

Last edited:
If fills are a problem at rated pressure, but you can still deal with the length, keep in mind, that 120 at 3000 psi is 104 cubic feet, so you still have a nice bit of air with a "short fill".

Luckily enough for me, we never have fill issues where I fill my tanks.

Reactions: Jax
Great tanks. I own several and service quite a large number that come through our Shop. A couple of considerations. That is a PREMIUM price, considering you can purchase a Faber HP 120 for $355 from Leisurepro. As mentioned by Jay, it should have several years left on the hydro, as well as have a fresh visual inspection. You mentioned wanting to use the tank for Nitrox. If the cylinder and valve is not already cleaned for oxygen service - that will be an additional expense to make both ready for a LDS to fill it. That could cost you an additional $50 or more, depending upon the Shop and the condition of the cylinder & valve. Final consideration, the XS Scuba steel cylinders were all manufactured by Worthington. They no longer are in the scuba cylinder business. Your tank is probably stamped with the code DOT-SP 14157. That DOT Special Permit grants permission for the cylinders to be tested, inspected, and filled. There is considerable speculation in the hydrostatic testing & inspection business that at some point in time the permit will not be renewed. Currently, the permit is in its 5th revision and will expire on 12/31/2018. If the permit expires without the DOT revising the permit, we'll all own great steel wind chimes.

With all this to consider, I would think a fair price for a used cylinder of this type would be around $200/each. Otherwise, your best decision would be to purchase a new Faber steel cylinder and valve.

Nitrox does NOT necessary require O2 clean. We have been through this many time. It is fill scheme dependent. OP should check with the shops

I bought an AL80 last year, and have discovered the buoyancy issues with them and have since wished I had read more about current tanks.
Nothing wrong with an AL80.
A LDS han an XS Scuba Worthington HP 120 tank on consignment for $300. I am thinking about buying it, especially since I am getting a Nitrox certification.
Is there a downside to this tank?
It is a long tank. Ask to use it in the pool
I have read several articles about HP vs LP but the issue isn't clear either way.
Depending on your shop, they may not give you a complete (3442psi) fill after cool-down.
Is this a decent price?
Does it have a recent Hydro date? If not, talk them down. If you can.
Would I be better off with a different tank, like an HP 100?
Depends on your gas usage and weight distribution.

I love my 130cf for a single tank.

Back
Top Bottom