Xt1 creep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin Blaylock

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Today I was overhauling an xt 1 first stage, and could not stop the cracking pressure from creeping up. I have taken the regulator apart, and reassembled using the manual and dive rite replacement parts. When it came time to check the cracking pressure, the first stage would slowly get up to 140, then it would keep creeping up. Does anyone have any ideas as to the cause?

Photos would help, but it can be just a few things. Damaged orifice, damaged valve or damaged o-ring on valve stem.
Edited to add: not sure what manual says and if you already did it, try cycling the regulator about 50 times. Sometimes valve seat needs time to set.

Photos would help, but it can be just a few things. Damaged orifice, damaged valve or damaged o-ring on valve stem.
Edited to add: not sure what manual says and if you already did it, try cycling the regulator about 50 times. Sometimes valve seat needs time to set.
Changed the orifice, and the o rings on the valve were fine. This was a 1st stagefound in a drawer in the shop i work at. Owner said if i can get it working i can have it. Ill try to update some photos or video tomorrow. As of now my next step is to take it all apart again and make sure i didnt miss something like an oring.

Also what do you mean by cycling it about 50 times?
Once you have it built, attach to a second stage and breathe it or hit the purge button 50 times or so when it's pressurized. I don't have the DR manual here but I also generally start out cycling the reg 50-60 times at 500 PSI, move up to 1500 and repeat, then at 2500-300. That's also a balanced diaphragm. Did you inspect the balance chamber for scratches or nicks? Is the metal diaphragm surface on the reg body and clamp free of scratches or nicks? Did you lube the balance chamber o-ring sufficiently?
How much reg rebuild experience do you have?
When did you take a reg rebuilding course?
Did you replace all the internal o-rings with new ones from the kit? You cannot reuse o-rings, the seat, or the diaphragm. Do that and it's pretty much guaranteed to fail.
Also pay attention to the duro of the o-rings. Anything coming into contact with the supply pressure should be 85-90 duro.
LP o-rings are 70.

Once you have it built, attach to a second stage and breathe it or hit the purge button 50 times or so when it's pressurized. I don't have the DR manual here but I also generally start out cycling the reg 50-60 times at 500 PSI, move up to 1500 and repeat, then at 2500-300. That's also a balanced diaphragm. Did you inspect the balance chamber for scratches or nicks? Is the metal diaphragm surface on the reg body and clamp free of scratches or nicks? Did you lube the balance chamber o-ring sufficiently?
How much reg rebuild experience do you have?
When did you take a reg rebuilding course?
Did you replace all the internal o-rings with new ones from the kit? You cannot reuse o-rings, the seat, or the diaphragm. Do that and it's pretty much guaranteed to fail.
Also pay attention to the duro of the o-rings. Anything coming into contact with the supply pressure should be 85-90 duro.
LP o-rings are 70.
I will take a look at the chambers next time im in the shop. But i was certified in february, and this is the first first stage that i have rebuilt. I am being watched over by the owner of the shop (20 years experience) and the other reg tech (both of which were recertified the same time i was). I used the rebuild kit as per the manual when doing the work. Everything was replaced that came with the kit.

Nothing like a cranky regulator to
Make you really understand what's going on inside:wink: it helps to visualize what route the air is going,
Sounds like you might have to inspect it alot closer, especially where the orings slide, look for specks of dirt,

Keep it up,
I am self taught in a lot of different things, but it takes persistence, it maybe cheaper to buy a new one, for the time you sink into this one, but you will sure get an education,

Nothing like a cranky regulator to
Make you really understand what's going on inside:wink: it helps to visualize what route the air is going,
Sounds like you might have to inspect it alot closer, especially where the orings slide, look for specks of dirt,

Keep it up,
I am self taught in a lot of different things, but it takes persistence, it maybe cheaper to buy a new one, for the time you sink into this one, but you will sure get an education,
Thank you, and thank you for your advice. Im just starting at this, but will keep at it (under direct supervision from those more experienced than i. If i cant get the reg working properly, its no big loss. I offered to rebuild it for the experience, getting a working dive rite first stage was just a bonus.

So after fighting with this first stage for a while, my shop owner finally broke down and called dive rite. Turns out it was the o-ring around the orifice that was the culprit. It was changed out and viola the first stage locks up like it should

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom