Yellow fin shark ?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I looked both up in my Fishes of the Carribean and Adjacent Waters 3rd edition(ReefNet Inc.). They are different genus and species but are the same family - Echeneidae (remoras). I guess thats why they get called either sharksucker or remora.

I think one of the physical differences between the sharksucker and the remora is that the remora has its sucker (which is separate from its mouth) on the top of its head. From the photo here, it looks like the sharksucker is holding on with its mouth, located at the bottom of its head. Don't know if it has a separate sucker other than its mouth. Any marine biologists care to chime in?

hmmm, took a closer look at the photo and seems that the sharksucker is riding upside down on top of the trevally, so it could very well have its sucker on the top of its head.

Thats definately the case, the remoras(or sharksuckers) in our area have the suckers located on the tops of thier heads. I've had one try to attach to my neck once, scared the bajesus outa me...

I believe he was stuck on by the top of his head. He was swimming free and upright at the beginning of the dive and I "shoooed" him away from me.

Lemme clear this up for y'all.
In the Gulf, a sharksucker has the common name "remora." If you're a visitor and use the term "sharksucker" folks'll look at you strange... and then say "oh, you mean a ree more uh."
Both have dorsal suction plates.
Now, any questions?
Rick (glad I could help) :)

Rick Murchison:
..."oh, you mean a ree more uh."
I like the local "fownetik pronownseeashun". :D
Thanks for clearing this up :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom