Yellowstone Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BUMP!

Still interested. I've narrowed it down to at least two dives, one at the Spires in Bridge Bay in Yellowstone Lake, and another in the bubble fields at either Mary Bay or nearby Steamboat Point. A possible third option is the vents at West Thumb, but I'm still researching about how to do that safely (any help?).

Time-wise, I don't want to fight Yellowstone traffic in the summer, so I'm looking at late September, after Labor Day but before the snow starts falling. Visibility is supposed to be better then too.

I need to find a detailed map of where the spires are in Bridge Bay. @shurite7 are you still on the forum? If you or someone who's been there could put an X on the attached map that would be most helpful! Maximum depth? Can a scooter be used? TIA for any help.

Here's a good bathymetry map from this web site:

bridge_bay.png

And a general map of Yellowstone Lake from USGS:

lakemap.jpg

Reactions: g2

g2:
Very nice! Got a map showing the locations of the dive sites?
There are no maps that I know about. Most people that do know where they are won't tell others how to find them. Benjamin and Nikki tried to get people to share the location, but none would. So they went and searched for them and have found about half of them. It's a 450 yard surface swim straight out from Bikini Beach dr near the Bridge Bay Campground.

Well hey, here's a better map of the spire field from Morgan et al., 2003, with rough coordinates:
Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 13-13-29 p1717D.pdf.png

Base of the spires is in about 15m (50 ft) of water:
spire_bathymetry.png

So they're roughly 0.22 nmi (400 m / 440 yds) on a heading of 70 degrees, more or less, from about the middle part of Bikini Beach Drive. I'd head ENE to a depth of 45', then follow the 50' contour north.
There are no maps that I know about. Most people that do know where they are won't tell others how to find them.
Gatekeeping. If it was private property or there were cultural artifacts I could understand, but the features are geologic and this is a national park, for the enjoyment of everyone. The NPS is and should be the arbiter. It's especially silly since it was discovered by scientists (Dave Lovalvo, 1997) and has since been fully described in several research papers.

Who's game to go? I have time in late September, 21st-23rd. The scooter, drysuit, and tanks are ready!

g2:
Well hey, here's a better map of the spire field from Morgan et al., 2003, with rough coordinates:
View attachment 835577

Base of the spires is in about 15m (50 ft) of water:
View attachment 835578
So they're roughly 0.22 nmi (400 m / 440 yds) on a heading of 70 degrees, more or less, from about the middle part of Bikini Beach Drive. I'd head ENE to a depth of 45', then follow the 50' contour north.

Gatekeeping. If it was private property or there were cultural artifacts I could understand, but the features are geologic and this is a national park, for the enjoyment of everyone. The NPS is and should be the arbiter. It's especially silly since it was discovered by scientists (Dave Lovalvo, 1997) and has since been fully described in several research papers.

Who's game to go? I have time in late September, 21st-23rd. The scooter, drysuit, and tanks are ready!
Maps by Benjamin Hadfield and pic while getting ready to dive the spires.
Yellowstone lake spires Map (2).JPG
Yellowstone lake spires Map.JPG
FB_IMG_1597431554149.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom