Yet another BC quandary, DUI - Ranger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mario, I think that must have been over two years ago, no? I was just in the shop today and discussing the BC with my original OW instructor. He has been diving this BC here for about two years. I didn't ask, but I would imagine that he probably has well over 200 dives on it by now.

As we discussed the model on the rack, he mentioned several little items which had been changed from "his bc". He didn't mention velcro, but I didn't see any velcro except on the pockets. I could be wrong, but I don't think velcro is still used in the same way as when you first looked at the BC.

In any event, the fact that these guys dive and instruct with these is pretty good testimony in my book. In our Atomic discussion today, it was mentioned that one of the reasons they use Atomic in the student rigs is that they figured they were low maintenance and damn near indestructable.

However, they found that the soft covering on the second stage, when pressed against something in a dive bag, in freezing conditions, leads to a cover that is frozen in that position and ends up with a free flowing regulator. It did not warm up in water, and had to be brought into a warm air environment before it's shape came back!

I guess they could have dismantled the reg, and manually pushed the cover back into shape, I don't know.

As I'm sure you know, these are the little "real world" things I like to hear about.

I'm sure the B.C. has gone through some revisions but the system I'm talking about was something that DUI was trying to patent. DUI_B.C. I'm certainly not as familiar with the B.C. as your instructor, so I would recommend that you follow his suggestions.

As for the regulator, I've never been diving in those conditions and to tell you the truth, won't really go out of my way to either. I would contact Rainreg from the boards and get his input. I'm sure the US Navy has a thing or two to contribute here.

Thanks for the tip. After 20 years in the Coast Guard, I've learned that the Navy always has something to say, right, wrong or otherwise. :D

All kidding aside, I'm sure he has great insight. I read the brief resume and am envious. I had nothing to do with diving in the Coast Guard.

Thanks again, this board is a wonderful resource.

I've been reading this and I just have to put my .02 in, (But then you knew this already).

Before going out and buying either BC you might give a thought to a backplate and harness, doubles will shift on your back with a soft pack BC, where a backplate they won't. It's the closest thing to having a tank surgically attached to your back.

Plus you won't have to carry as much weight, the plates weigh anywhere from 2 to ll lbs. and that is weight off of your waist.

Also, I'm not a big fan of tanks straps on doubles as you can "pinch" the tanks and cause undo stress on the doubles manifold.

Plus there's not too much to worry about warranty as the rig is quite simple and easy to maintain.

Why do we need pockets anyway? Haven't used mine. Reels clip on waist, light clips on shoulder strap, Dive Notes strap on the wirst. What else is there, spare change. If you find that you need a pocket, you can get an accessory pocket from either Zeagle, OMS, Halcyon or Diverite and strap them on the waist.

Just my .02

Don

I agree! BTW, there are NO pockets on the wing version of this BC, other than the weight pockets, which you can also choose to ditch if you want.

However I will primarily be diving single with this rig. I wanted the ability to utilize it with doubles when I want to. My understanding, and I have no idea how well this works yet, is that a hard backplate will mate very well with this rig.

In fact, I asked DUI about running doubles with the BC. Here's a quote from Kathy at DUI.

"Hi. The BCS Wings 58# bladder is offered in either a single or double tank configuration. Yes you can dive doubles with the single tank bladder. The double tank bladder is designed to inflate better around the double tanks. If you dive singles much more often I would purchase the single tank bladder. You can also add a hard back plate very easily. You want to purchase one with the slats at the top for the webbing to go through."

Keep those .02 cents coming! They add up :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom