yet another LeisurePro thread (Atomic)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used LP many times in the past, I do however, check with my LDS on pricing before I purchase and even bring in LP's prices to see if my LDS will match or come close. If they do a good job I will buy locally, if not I buy from LP. I did have to exchange some things in the past and would say the customer service is very good. I have not had any service work to speak of, but with the good experiences I have had, I doubt they are going to fall behind in this category. My LDS knows me well, and knows that I will buy from him if the price is reasonable, and all other stuff I " have to have this moment" My LDS does a lot of teaching, and service...so the Sales he does do is a bonus, and most beginners buy the basics from him before class. I'd say that my LDS purchase is about 50% of my total purchases, the rest going mostly to Online Shops(45%), or the Travel shops I stop in at (5%).

As someone who currently dives with gear from both Atomic and Suunto (distributed by AquaLung) and in the past gear from UWATEC/ScubaPro I would like to take a few minutes here to well, call a spade a spade. (I single out these mfgs specifically because they are all well known to have restrictions on the MSP of their products as well as prohibiting mail-order and internet sales).

I have bought all of my current Atomic and Suunto gear from authorized dealers. Sometimes paying full price sometimes at a discount, typically the latter. Soon after buying a computer, one dealer lost their dealership. I do not know the details but a fair assumption would be because they did not abide by the MSP agreement. My UWATEC computers were bought second hand but were basically as new.

I have had excellent response to problems and concerns from all three of the mfgs even to the point that UWATEC replaced several computers even though I was not the original owner. In fact, they never even asked abut ownership. Once the owner of Atomic call me back to make things got resolved.

I have bought these products because I could get them at what I thought was a fair price. I have bought lots of other gear as well from other mfgs with out the MSP restrictions also for what I thought was a fair price.

Enough of the background ... on to the meat.

So while LP sells gray market products the mfgs profess not supply it to them. They have to get it some how. And that some how could well be from an authorized dive shop selling their stock. However, I noticed that within weeks of the new Atomic Frameless masks being available that LP had them available and claimed to have them in stock. (I bought mine locally because I need Rx lenses so I can not verify the "in stock" accuracy). This does not sound like old stale gear to me but more like "getting the lastest and greatest version".

As for the comment of LP getting stock from "someone who is desperate, going out of business" may well be true. However, it seems to me that it would behove the mfgs to learn why they are desparate or going out of business. Perhaps it is because they signed agreements to a particular sales model that does not seem to be working and they need to sell inventory so they can pay their bills.

The other item is that regulators and dive computers have serial numbers. The mfgs certainly know how to track these numbers. I think that if I owned a local shop that signed up their agreements I would want to know that the mfgs are very agressively making sure that their product is not being sold on the gray market.

For instance, any of these mfgs could buy a few computers and regs from LP and track the serial numbers back to the shop that got them first. If the mfgs are as strict as they say it seems to me that shop would no longer be a dealer. I have yet to hear of something of this nature happening. The scuba industry has enough "leaks" in it that if it was that the word would be out and I bet LP stock would dry up pretty quickly.

As for the service issues. Some shops are better than others when it comes to both sales and service. And just like a car folks can learn to service things themselves. Yes, it requires the right tools and the right knowledge but it is out there just like the product is out there. For many of us who own mutliple regs getting service adds up. Between the Mrs. and I we have 7 regs and 7 cylinders. I currently do my own visuals, O2 cleaning, and rebuild the valves and have a great working relationship my hydro shop as I do with three of my local dive shops. I will probably have some of my regs serviced by one of them but service others myself.

In closing, I would be very careful about how one portrays the advantanges and disadvantages of gray market products especially as a mfg. As far I can tell only the first half of your first sentence in your post - "LP is not an authorized dealer" appears to be true the rest, in my opion is specious. The folks on the scubaboard are a pretty savy bunch (e.g. Reefhound's posting) and I think they can cut through the BS rather rapidily. As such, if you are going to make assertions they need to be backed up - especially as an mfger. Cutting and running will leave no credibility.

BTW Darcy you seem to watching the scubaboard - any plans for Atomic to have a official presence in the mfgs corner? Seems to me that a golden opportunity is waiting.

darcyatomic:
Official word from Atomic - LP is not an authorized dealer, your warranty will be void. LP can not get our service parts, if you have any problem that occurs are you okay with another manufactures parts in your expensive regulator? They have not taken our service clinics or are authorized to repair equipment. Eventually you will need it serviced and you're going to need your authorized dealer then so establish that relationship now when you're making that important purchase on high end gear. Don't think LP is going to take as good of care of you or the product as your LDS will...

LP buys equipment on the gray market usually from someone who is desperate, going out of business and more than likely has been sitting on product for what could be years. We have had upgrades to our equipment and there is no guarentee you are getting the lastest and greatest version. I would also plan sending any regulators you buy there for a full service before use - again you have no idea how long it sat on someones shelf. think about it.... you're spending a lot of money - make sure it's the real deal, and you have a full manufactures warrnty. Would you buy your Mercedes from an unauthorized dealer?
Darcy Benward
Atomic Aquatics

darcyatomic:
I would also plan sending any regulators you buy there for a full service before use - again you have no idea how long it sat on someones shelf.

Darcy, you need to calm down and re-read what you wrote. Your emotional rant did Atomic a very serious disservice. As a representative of Atomic, you have a duty to present a professional attitude and an informed point of view. Proper grammar is your friend.

As the owner of 2 B2 regulators, I have to wonder what you were thinking.

You're telling us that Atomic regulators aren't reliable enough for a diver who will only make a few dives each year? Because that's exactly what you said in the above sentence. Do you really think that storage conditions on an LDS' shelf are worse than jammed in a dive bag in the back of a closet?

Several people have made some excellent points in this thread. As a representative of Atomic, you should address them. Ignoring them because they offer a differing point of view is very unprofessional.

ScubaToys: Life support stuff
LeisurePro: Plastic and rubber stuff

SJSSPECK explains the differences well, there is none in performance between the 2 models.
I notice LP has the older generation T1X on sale for considerably more than the T2, I question they know what they are selling you and know they are NOT an authorized Atomic dealer.
Nothing wrong with trying to save a buck. Go find the best deal you can from a local authorized dealer you trust.

Good luck!

Just for clarity I am posting this message from another thread http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=191024 as a matter of full disclosure. It would appear that acwaman is the national sales mgr for Atomic Aquatics.

First, welcome to the board. Thanks for joining in. A polite suggestion you might want to change your id so that people know you work Atomic Aquatics or perhaps add this to your signature. Having mfgers on the board is great. I know I appreciate it.

acwaman:
Please contact me at:

acwaman@aol.com

Would like to help resolve your issues.

Seamus Callaghan
Atomic Aquatics
National Sales Manager

darcyatomic:
Official word from Atomic - LP is not an authorized dealer, your warranty will be void. think about it.... you're spending a lot of money - make sure it's the real deal, and you have a full manufactures warrnty. Would you buy your Mercedes from an unauthorized dealer?
Darcy Benward
Atomic Aquatics
My wife bought a used Mercedes from non-Mercedes dealer and the warranty still applied.

ReefHound:
Given the relative volume of sales, I'd be more worried about the currentness of the model from the LDS.

Not with my LDS. Seems that every time I stop by the shop, they have a new shipment of regs from Atomic.

First, I think we need to come to the understanding that business has changed. The internet is here to stay, so it's best the mfgr's embrace it. After my inital certification (and sticker shock of basic fins/snorkel/mask/booties/other crap LDS made us buy then ignored) I bought used. Then new from the net. And I will continue to do so. You can call me greedy, because I don't throw away money. But housing in my area has doubled in price, salaries are stagnant, and everyone has their hand out reaching for my wallet weather it be the gas station, the city and state gov'ts, energy companies or whomever. So my goals are always to get the good stuff at a low cost. I don't mind being a model back if it's good. I think of it as shorting greed (A stock thing). The store is greedy because they want the biggest markup possible, I'm greedy because I want the best deal. Why am I specifically the bad guy? Because I'm not careless with the fruits earned with time taken from my life?

I'm okay with rewarding good service to a degree, but I generally find that my own research on the internet and general interest in how things work leads me to equal or better knowledge over most of the people I'm supposed to pay a premium to.

And well, I think my friend saved about $40-50,000 by buying a 3 year old Benz from outside of the area (I think MSRP was $120K). The local dealership is happy to take his money for service, and after saving $50K the warranty isn't such a big deal since with many things that are built well, we all know the breakdowns generally come after the warranty runs out. Probably not the case with Benzes, but that is for another discussion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom