Yet another Saanich Inlet vis report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shawn95:
I have seen 2 six gills there above 120 ft. I took the fish down with me on Wednesday to increase the chances of seeing them. No luck, just sat in the tub for 25 minutes and got bored. Lotsa fish and crabs showed up pretty quick. I think the secret is to put down the bait first then go down maybe 15-20 min later. Have you guys even heard of this working?

BTW My buddy forgot to bring the rubbermaid container up with us, going back to hopefully get it.
Hey Shawn,
6 gills usually reside in the depths below 1000' then come up for a summer vacation which biologists are unsure of the reason. They are not seen to feed or mate in our shallow depths but one theory is elimination of urine which they do by osmosis.
They tried chumming at Hornby a few years ago and I think the sightings have been spottier since them. Probably more to do with all the activity in the water than the food but I believe we should not mess with that which we don't understand.

What is your buddies name? We found a mask with a name on it.

Pretty sure I know who the buddy was... my guess... the original "Sally"?! :wink: hee hee

I have to ask... how do you forget to bring up the container... when it was an integral part of the kit you needed for the task?! Hee hee... so much for take only pictures... leave only bubbles :)

just giving you a hard time...
have a great weekend

NavyDoll

wedivebc:
Hey Shawn,
6 gills usually reside in the depths below 1000' then come up for a summer vacation which biologists are unsure of the reason. They are not seen to feed or mate in our shallow depths but one theory is elimination of urine which they do by osmosis.
They tried chumming at Hornby a few years ago and I think the sightings have been spottier since them. Probably more to do with all the activity in the water than the food but I believe we should not mess with that which we don't understand.

What is your buddies name? We found a mask with a name on it.

let me guess it is black DR mask with the name paul in i think its red on it. would love to have it back its my favorite one i own. give me a call 250-391-4634. and if you know of any way to better our chances of a six gill sighting pls share. it's my quest for the summer.

Paul

Paul F:
let me guess it is black DR mask with the name paul in i think its red on it. would love to have it back its my favorite one i own. give me a call 250-391-4634. and if you know of any way to better our chances of a six gill sighting pls share. it's my quest for the summer.

Paul
I didn't find the mask my buddy Stu did. I will pass on your phone# 'cause that's the one we found. I have never seen a 6 gill at Willis I did see either a blue or salmon shark last year there in about 100ft. I know there were a couple of sightings at Henderson last year and I have seen them at China Creek.

thanks for passinf the number on and we might just have to go and hang out at henderson a bit more. some nice formations there to the left. but thanks again

wedivebc:
I didn't find the mask my buddy Stu did. I will pass on your phone# 'cause that's the one we found. I have never seen a 6 gill at Willis I did see either a blue or salmon shark last year there in about 100ft. I know there were a couple of sightings at Henderson last year and I have seen them at China Creek.
Speaking of China Creek, I was thinking of going back on Tuesday. To make it worth the drive, I'll spend the night and do a couple more dives on the way back in the Nanoose area. Hope the vis will be O.K. This time last year it was terrible.

I have seen 2 there this year above 120 ft. (And 2 last year at MacKenzie) Jonathan from Rockfish has had a bit of success chumming but it was eaten before they could get video of it. Seattle Aquarium regularly does it in about 40 ft just below thier dock. It is possible just not commom. Thanks for finding the mask though.

Chillywaters and I were there today around 2pm. Just as we were getting ready to enter, a diver coming out said he saw a Six Gill around 100fsw along the wall. We went to look for it but didn't see it. My guess is because Chilly had his camera with him. :icorolley

Vis was ~10-15 feet at depth and about 20 feet at the surface.

I might be heading out again tomarrow. Anyone want to join me?

SeanQ:
I'm a fan of colour so I'll probably be doing Enterprise Channel. If the vis isn't great in the Inlet, you're stuck looking at bare rock. Don't fall for the "sixgill" hoax. It's just a marketing trick to promote the local diving industry. At Hornby Island they actually have latex and fiberglass "sharks" with a diver and scooter inside that parade around in front of the tourist divers. Most of them are too excited to hear the whirring of the motor. Of course they are supposed to be seen in deeper water so the narcosis makes them seem more real. As for the sixgills in Saanich Inlet, Brentwood Bay (Dive) Resort has a full-time animatronics expert on staff, but maybe he's just there to fix the pop machines.

SeanQ:
Chillywaters and I were there today around 2pm. Just as we were getting ready to enter, a diver coming out said he saw a Six Gill around 100fsw along the wall. We went to look for it but didn't see it. My guess is because Chilly had his camera with him. :icorolley

Vis was ~10-15 feet at depth and about 20 feet at the surface.

Here are the pics: http://www.cs.uvic.ca/~sshelfor/photos/diving-2005-08-06/

I am curious how much a strobe enhances photos? As mentioned, I don't use my flash due to inconsistent lighting, overexposure in macro, and backscatter. The LDSs should rent them.

I saw my first golden dirona (I love nudis). Man, she's funny looking.

The jellyfish seemed massive, as far as I remember. 4 feet across?? It was a LONG way away, and it still filled the photo.

Too bad about the lack of a 6-gill. I'm a little suspicious of the guy before us though. I sure hope he was trained for solo diving. I don't even remember seeing a pony bottle! 100fsw solo without a pony is asking for trouble. Hmmmm... hopefully I missed it.

- ChillyWaters

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom