Yoga for Scuba Divers Workshop in Toronto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingyogini

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Yoga for Scuba Divers Workshop

Practice on land to build strength, increase your air efficiency, and become a better diver

November 10th, 1:15 - 4:00 pm
The Union Yoga Center, 242 Carlton St. Toronto

Yoga for Scuba Divers teaches you poses, breathing exercises, visualization techniques, and yoga lifestyle principles that combine to make you a better diver. By practicing the yoga poses in this workshop you can: improve your balance and stability, build core strength to protect your back when carrying tanks and weights,
build abdominal control to fine-tune your buoyancy, strengthen your legs for those fun walks down to the water in full gear, and develop powerful muscles that improve your finning. The breathing exercises will teach you to breathe steadily during physical exertion, which will keep you calm and rational under water. The
visualization techniques will help you prepare mentally for dive challenges. All of the poses you learn are practiced on land, not in the water. Beginners to yoga are welcome - this is a great way to learn.

About the instructors: Kimberlee Jensen Stedl and Todd Stedl are the authors of Yoga for Scuba Divers. Todd Stedl is a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor and holds a doctorate in chemistry. Kimberlee Jensen Stedl is a member of the American Council on Exercise Continuing Education Faculty, and is a Registered Yoga Teacher
with the Yoga Alliance. Together they have been diving and practicing yoga since they met in 2002.

Saturday, November 10th 1:00 - 4:15 pm
The Union Yoga Center 242 Carlton Street Toronto

Early-bird cost: $35
Regular cost: $45
Early-bird deadline is October 20th

Registration forms and more information available at: 8th Element Yoga - Yoga for Scuba Divers

Do you have anything booked for Ottawa?

No, we don't right now, but if there was a dive club or a dive shop that had enough interest, we could maybe add that onto our agenda.

We're scheduled to be in Toronto from the 9th - 12th, Trenton (with friends) from the 13 - 14th and then on a train to NYC on the 15th. But some of that is flexible if there's say 15 people who all want to take the workshop (I'm just thinking about the cost of additional trains and a hotel stay in Ottawa).

We have commitments on the 9th, 10th and 12th in Toronto.

We could theoretically do that Sunday, the 11th, and do an afternoon workshop and then head back, or potentially do a but with the train fares (at $301 it looks like) we would have to have enough people to make the additional city worth our while. So, do let me know!

If you're interested in coming to Toronto, however, I'm also teaching a bicyclists workshop on the same day, and there's a fundraiser yoga party that night. I've never been to Toronto, but it looks like fun and the studio we are visiting is wonderful.

Cheers, Kimberlee

This is a cool idea. I recently began Yoga practice without any particular thought of its applicability to diving but right from the first class the emphasis on conscious breathing made the connection apparent. Even as a yoga novice I've already seen measurable reductions in air consumption and would recommend this to anyone.

This is a cool idea. I recently began Yoga practice without any particular thought of its applicability to diving but right from the first class the emphasis on conscious breathing made the connection apparent. Even as a yoga novice I've already seen measurable reductions in air consumption and would recommend this to anyone.

Thanks for the endorsement. My husband was a yoga skeptic at first but was surprised at how much he improved his air consumption and control. To this day he swears the sun salutations are the best things for his lower back (which has given him trouble over the years).

Canard, will you be able to make this workshop?

Back
Top Bottom