you all are so supportive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubiedoo

Reaction score
so glad i came on this board!

i'm starting to feel a little relieved. The floating i can definetely do!! and the swimming, if time is not a factor at all and they let you take breathes in between laps, i'll be fine.

thx for everything :)

I agree with you scubiedoo, I've also found a lot of support on this board with the posts I've made and questions... everyone here is great and I too am glad I found this place...:bounce:

Best of luck with your upcoming class...

scubiedoo once bubbled...
so glad i came on this board!

i'm starting to feel a little relieved. The floating i can definetely do!! and the swimming, if time is not a factor at all and they let you take breathes in between laps, i'll be fine.

thx for everything :)
:bounce: :bounce:

on the swimming requirements as far as I know. We even let you take as many breaths as you want during each lap:) Most of though do require that once you start swimming you must keep going non stop.

Swim slowly or as one of my very floaty students said,"just keep moving in that direction while you float"

I know it varies from one instructor to another. As for myself, my only rule is that you can not touch the bottom once you start your swim and you can not hang on the side or end of the pool -- you can float, tread water or whatever you need to do to finish just as long as you actually swim the distance without using an outside aid (like the bottom or edge of the pool or a float).

well if i could i would fly down there to get lessons from you! lol! :)

i can't wait to see what's they're going to say at the dive shop!

and thx for the goodluck signs.. i'm starting to get comfortable with the idea of swimming.

but wait question, you said that your instructor said that you can take as many breaths? meaning you do one lap take a slight slight pause to catch your breath and continue?

I'm sure you're going to do just fine. I think you'll be suprised how short it actually is. You'll look back and wonder why you were so worried.

Just relax, find your comfort zone and go for it! Slow and steady wins the race here. No points for speed...just finishing.

I am glad you are finding the board so supportive. I am too! The veterans here are very patient and understanding of us newbie!! I feel comfortable asking even stupid questions.

Laurel
:froggy:

no stops allowed---not even slight, slight ones. Once you start swimming you must keep going. The key is exactly as FLArmybrat says," slow and steady wins the race here."

Most agencies don't have specific stroke requirements. So use and many different swimming strokes as you know how to do. Especially the strkes that have your mouth out of the water most or all of the time and yet keep your body horizontal in the water.

I especially like the sidestroke if I have to cover a long distance.

Did you use the side stroke on your 800 yd. swim for NAUI ???

Come on now...

learn-scuba once bubbled...
I know it varies from one instructor to another. As for myself, my only rule is that you can not touch the bottom once you start your swim and you can not hang on the side or end of the pool -- you can float, tread water or whatever you need to do to finish just as long as you actually swim the distance without using an outside aid (like the bottom or edge of the pool or a float).

Aww..I had to do my surface swim in water that was about 73 degress on the surface (with colder spots here and there) in the winter with just a bikini. *shakes fist at instructor* A heated pool would of been so nice :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom