You have the wrong gear for this class!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving Rant

Or you could have a look at this that I have recently discovered practitioner
that seems to know in a cognizant lump, what he is practitioning about......

I guess what really surprises me here is just how wedded the OP is to the DIR config. These are OW classes right? So they're going to be short, simple, shallow dives designed to test a few basic skills without anyone getting hurt. For wreck, cave or deep tech diving, I'd understand and support someone making this kind of stand, but for OW dives? C'mon. For something like that, I could care less what gear I wore. I could do that in a wetsuit, drysuit, BC, BPW, no BC at all, you name it. A diving helmet or a rebreather might make me hesitate, but that's about it.

Hummm... seems the concept of standardization can be a double edged snapped off steak knife. What's good for the goose and all that.

@divermike and the point to your post is? I don't see how it was relevant to what I had said or when and where did i compare myself to jj, ag or bill main; but thank you for your "civility" nevertheless.

@RTee well, I definitely agree all gave their honest opinions, just that some were way off base and I classify those as "shooting". If I was figting at all, I would have argued with the instructor but I didn't. That's why I bring my experience to the board and seek opinions and get a discussion out of it.

Obviously some don't see my frustrations as they were not in my shoes. Most if all think that I am jay being pro hog rig and got upset cos I was told not to do it, but in this case my frustrations stems from the fact that this instructor and I are fairly close, and he knows what I use etc but told me I had the wrong rig after the class. Saying nothing before indicates he has accepted it; that we had countless discussions on DIR to the point he has agreed to have a presentation by a UTD staff indicates he knows what the hog rig is a about. So he asked me to go do a checkout dives with him only to tell me I had the wrong gear by calling it a "tech rig"? Even then I didn't argue with him.

And now I have to deal with people who thinks I am fighting? Great!

I hope people can actually see that it's not about me being over-zealous about my rig or I think I am better than everyone else or I am out to convert the world; I am frustrated by my situation, and bring my frustration public in a forum that's all.

For those of you who cannot understand my frustration, try this:

You only have yellow shirts in your wardrobe. You wear a yellow short everyday. I know you only has yellow shirt. I invite you to a party. Then I tell you that you wore the wrong color because everyone else is wearing blue. And you won't get frustrated with me. Yeah right!

If you feel that strongly about it, then take your DM training elsewhere that allows you to wear your own rig the way you like it.

At first I thought that the instructor had asked for your assistance on the side and then whined about your gears. However, it's a different animal if you were taking a DM class with him. Then I suppose he can dictate gear usage. Though if that were me, I'd tell him and the shop to kiss my ass and go elsewhere even though that elsewhere may be hours away.

For those of you who cannot understand my frustration, try this:

You only have yellow shirts in your wardrobe. You wear a yellow short everyday. I know you only has yellow shirt. I invite you to a party. Then I tell you that you wore the wrong color because everyone else is wearing blue. And you won't get frustrated with me. Yeah right!

And you should get upset with me, considering I am flitting around the party telling all my guest that they are untrained and unsafe and implying you don't know how to throw a party. According to you yellow shirts are the only safe way to mingle at a party and you are letting them know that.

Randy, you are way to hung up on the whole DIR and BP agenda. Either take DM under his guy with his rules and learn what he has to teach you or move on. If you can't dive in good trim and in great buoyancy control in ANY gear, you need to work on your skills anyway. It can be done, I do it all the time. I routinely go from a cheap jacket BC in the pool where I can hold trim in 4 ft of water to a BP in a drysuit and I routinely dive no BC at all, keeping good trim and buoyancy control in them all.
Just curious, how long have you been diving and when did you take your DIR class? Don't see any of that in your profile.

Randy--Im sorry near as I can see you have not completed the example-perhaps if someone does it will help YOUR understanding.
You are invited to a party in a SHIRT SHOP. The shirt shop derives a great part of its income by teaching people how to wear blue shirts and they of course sell blue shirts. This is how the shirt shop stays in buisiness and supports its shirt salesmen and its shirt instructors. The person throwing the party in essence offers you a very good discount on blue shirts. You only have yellow shirts in your wardrobe. You wear a yellow shirt everyday. The shop owner knows you only have a yellow shirt and offers you the full use of any one of his blue shirts whilst you are at the party.
You really have two options. Stay at the party and wear a blue shirt but maybee whilst at the party suggest that blue and yellow stripes might be an option to broaden the shirt shops inventory and sales in the future. ( a really good option)
OR--go to/set up a yellow shirt shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom