You know you're an old timer when

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you still have the first tank with a J valve you bought new in 1957 and still use it.

When you got YMCA certified for 75 dollars and no open water check out.

When you still dive with a USD Aqua Master two hose regulator you bought in 1965.

Captain

You still have the letter that Lloyd Bridges sent you asking for advice.

LOL

Dr. Bill,

I was certified in '79 (when in High school). Got certified in small shop in Redondo Beach (Sea D Sea) I'm sure you must know of them. Most of masks on display were BLACK. I'll never forget the red, white and blue mask.

My orgininal NASDS C-card has a microfiche scanned image on it with my emergency contact info.. That was high tech then.

I remember using something called an At Pac BC which was all the rage back then. It was a back inflated BC, lead shot weight..

You could tell the NASDS folks cause they were the only ones wearing At Paks. It was very comfortable, but I never cared for it or the other weight integrated BC's that followed.

In fact, technically I'm not really certified. I started diving in 1957 before there were such things as a C cards, or BC's. Finally in 1975, when I couldn't by air without a C card, my dive instructor buddy took pity on me and sent my name in with one of his classes so I could have a card to buy life-support equipment and air. I bet you DIR fans out there are going to have a ball with this one!!!:eek:

Barracuda2

You got me by 5 years. I started sucking air in '62 but didn't get certified til '69 when the school I was teaching at required me to (and I never regretted).

Funny thing is I have no idea where my old gear went. I moved to Illinois briefly in '79 and must have sold or given it away.

Of course we used backpacks (since we could control our buoyancy by proper weighting, etc.). Glad to have the BCD now as it makes my videography much easier (except when it won't fully deflate, time for a BP/wings).

Last weekend at the Park I met a couple who were recently certified. She couldn't have been more than 130 pounds yet was wearing 25 lbs of lead and still couldn't get down. She wanted more weight and I suggested she try going down the rope on the drop down buoys. It worked but she was still quite overweighted. Both of them were. Gives reason for concern when you see things like that.

Dr. Bill

Before the irish diving organisation (padi) existed and Naui was aword for 'neato'. We had to qualify under the french CMAS system and part of that was a 3m entry off of a diving board in full scuba, and a 1.5 m entry with both a back entry and a forward roll entry. Thank God for those wonderful flat thingies on the backs of boats with ladders on them. It's great being able to get 'back on' the boats now and not have to head back to shore under our own flipper power... It's a real pain on those off-shore dives...
:D

Cheers Ears,
The Gasman

You know you're an old geezer when you complain about how all the newly certified people are doing it wrong, and yet you have forgotten how bad your first few dives went many years ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom