Your computer --- a survey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ahh. Ok. Well, I won't buy something of this "magnitude" from anyone but an authorized dealer! But this thread isn't about that. It's about the computers themselves.

Give Larry at Scubatoys.com a call. They'll match the price and they are an authorized dealer. I wouldn't shop anywhere else now that I've used them.

1: Aeris Atmos Pro
2: Not Air Integrated
3: No longer sold but absolutely recommend
4: Has worked well for me for many years.
5: LDS recommended it ! (I was new in those days!)
6: Only does one gas (my diving has changed somewhat since I bought it ! )
7: Simple,easy to use,not overly conservative.

Currently window shopping Trimix computers.

1. Did use the Suunto vyper - Went to a DiveRite Nitek Duo.
2. Not intergrated
3. Suunto vyper - Sure. DR Nitek Duo - No idea, still need to dive with it.
4. DR Nitek Duo - Gas Switching.
5. Suunto Vyper matched my SK7. :p - Dr Nitek Duo - gas switching.
6. Suunto Vyper - No gas switching. DR Nitek Duo - No idea yet.
7. Suunto Vyper - Ease of use. DR Nitek Duo - Gas switching. :)

1. unwatec smart com w/ quick connect
2. air intergrated
3. i would recomend it
4. works for me
5. i liked the large read out
6. needs a clock function so you know what time you started your dive.

Rented a Suunto Vyper, but bought a Mares M2

Neither is air integrated.

I would recommend the both.

Liked the Vyper but wanted a cheaper computer.

Vacation diver, so I only need a basic computer and liked the AAA batteries as I'll only be using it a few times a year and did not want to leave the batteries in. Cheapest computer I could fine that will download data if I want to.

Buttons are a little hard to push. Have to toggle display to see all the dive info.

1. Sherwood Wisdom
  2. Yes, it is air/nitrox integrated with a hose
  3. Yes, I would recommend it because it has all the bells and whistles, alarms, a great backlight, easy to read display, quick disconnect and compass for around $400 new
  4. Wouldn't have wanted anything else.
  5. The deciding factor was the price for what I got with it
  6. The only draw back is the fact that it's not on my wrist
  7. The "wet" mode - as soon as you hit the water, the computer turns on
wisdom21.2.jpg

I also give a thubs up for the Wisdom. I had a Cobra and liked this better and I don't want a computer on my wrist so it was perfect for me. I'm in the process of taking off the compass though. Never use it.

The reason some of them are marked down so much is they came out with a new model. But I was told it is only a few cosmetic changes and the basic operation was the same. So if you can still find an older model, you can get a heck of a deal. I did from my LDS.

BDSC

matrix.
not intergrated.
would recommend.
very conservative.
can attach to hose, placed in consol or worn on wrist.
the #s could be a little larger.

What dive computer do you use?
Is it an air-intergrated model? Transmitter or hose?
Would you recommend it? Why/why not?
If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Why?
What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one?
The one biggest drawback of the computer you use?
The best feature of the model you use?

1. Aeris XR-1, wrist mount.
2. Not air integrated.
3. I'd recommend it as a very basic, simple, reliable air-only computer for recreational divers who do not use Nitrox (like me). If you think you may ever use Nitrox, look elsewhere. If you just dive rec "air", this works great.
3. Chosen for very low price (on sale at $129 at the time), and extreme ease of use, and had the basic features I wanted with a good display.
4. Cannot switch back & forth from pure Bottom Timer mode to Computer mode, although one of the displays in Computer mode is essentially same as Bottom Timer.
5. Water activation is the best feature. I also like that the XR-1 allows a slightly longer "countdown" than say the Mares M2 between surfacing and re-submerging before it "ends" one dive and starts the next.... i.e., if you get "disoriented" and have to surface to take a navigation bearing on shore or the boat, but end up staying surfaced for a few minutes before descending again, the XR-1 just considers it the same dive and continues calculations based time spent at the various depths, and does not start not a new dive.

What dive computer do you use? Aeris Epic
Is it an air-intergrated model? Transmitter or hose? Wireless
Would you recommend it? Why/why not? Yes, because it Rocks
What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one? The desire to have a wireless integrated puter. That, and I got a deal
The one biggest drawback of the computer you use? Cost
The best feature of the model you use? Size, and wireless.

What dive computer do you use? Sherwood Profile
Is it an air-intergrated model? Transmitter or hose? Not air integrated
Would you recommend it? Why/why not? Yes, because it is bloody good value for money at $200 (which includes an SPG)
If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Why? Toyed with the idea of getting a Sherwood Wisdom 2. Didn't. Glad I didn't.
What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one? Always buy Sherwood products. Seemed to get everything you need for a bargain basement price with the Profile.
The one biggest drawback of the computer you use? Not air integrated, but I think a feature telling you how long you can stay down at the rate you are breathing is a bit overrated for the extra cost.
The best feature of the model you use? Cheap and easy to use/understand.

The one thing that does crack me up about my computer is that my house is at about 1,200 feet, so when I drive home after diving it goes nuts assuming I am flying (feature kicks in at 1,000 feet) and warning me that I am about to die of the bends. Happily I am still alive and enjoying cool island breezes after diving.

Back
Top Bottom