Your computer --- a survey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What dive computer do you use?
... Suunto Cobra II.

Is it an air-intergrated model? Transmitter or hose?
...Yes, hose.

Would you recommend it? Why/why not?
...Yes/No, If youre willing to spend the money get the standard Cobra. The difference is a digital compass, and it's non-functional. Only works at +/- 5 deg from flat. This is a great comp, but the digital compass is worthless if you really need it during a braille dive in bad conditions. (that would be what my instructor thought of as a good AOW nav dive in NJ.)

If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Why?
...Suunto Vytec, but they're sooo expensive!

What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one?
...It was cheaper, and AI. Not sure if I would care about AI so much after spending more time on this board. An SPG is less error prone, and as you add cylinders you still need SPG's on them...

The one biggest drawback of the computer you use?
... The bulk and the hose connection. Was great for a beginner, but as I begin to advance and change configurations to HOG harness etc. I find that I'm going to need to eventually replace it.

The best feature of the model you use?
...Two gas tracking is huge! I also like that the comp is conservative. Even though I dive on tables and pre-plan my dives, it's nice to know that in a bad situation (that shouldn't ever happen :no...) it can tell you your deco obligations. It's intelligent enough to stay relevant into some beginner tech diving.

- Rob

• What dive computer do you use?
    Suunto Gekko
    Suunto Vyper2
  • Is it an air-integrated model? Transmitter or hose?
    No
    No
  • Would you recommend it? Why/why not?
    Yes, to new divers, vacation divers, and anyone not going "tech". It is easy to use, and it supports nitrox.
    Yes, to all the above (who don't mind spending a bit more), and to those who may end up wanting one gas switch ("rec-tech", if you want to call it that). It is almost as easy to use as the Gekko, and the few upgraded features are potentially nice.
  • If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Why?
    Vyper2, for gauge mode and gas switching, if price is negotiable.
    Gekko, for cheaper price, if gauge mode and gas switching aren't necessary.
  • What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one?
    Inexpensive, but with Nitrox capability and an algorithm I liked.
    Wanted a backup computer, and having gauge mode and gas switching was appealing.
  • The one biggest drawback of the computer you use?
    Um... lack of... free cookies? (It had no gauge mode or gas switching, but that's only at the highest end of recreational diving, anyway. I don't consider the existence of a Mercedes to be a drawback to owning a Hyundai.)
    For recreational divers, price. (Tech divers may want more than two gases or helium, but that's wanting a "tech" computer, which the Vyper2 has never claimed to be.)
  • The best feature of the model you use?
    Excellent display.
    Much higher resolution on the ascent indicator vs. the Gekko.

Mares Airlab.
Air integrated with hose.
I like it - don't see many around though. Air/Nitrox with very detailed dive profile information. Includes dive planning mode and backlighting when needed.
If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Why?
Happy with it - no reason to change.
I was afraid of losing a wrist computer - with this type of investment I wanted it secured to my gear.
Sometimes when I'm tired I find the display could be easier to read. (Aging process - not the equipment's fault but the display could have been larger). Damn red flashing warning signal at 750 PSI - people think I'm about to explode.
Easy switch air to nitrox. Clear countdown of time to deco and multiple depth stops if deco occurs.

Oceanic Pro Plus2 without the compass.

Is it an air-integrated model? Transmitter or hose?
Air integrated.

I would definitely recommend it. The large display and simple to read are a huge plus. The programming is a snap as well.

See above.

The download cable connection.

The large display, air time remaining and safety stop timer come in real handy.

p_computers_proplus21.jpg

a) Suunto Vytec
b) Aladin Tech2g
c) Suunto Mosquito

None is air integrated. I know the Vytec can be if you buy the transmitter. I don't know about the Aladin. The Mosquito cannot be.

a) Yes. Big numbers, gauge mode, easy to change batteries.
b) Yes. Resettable stopwatch, resettable depth averaging.
c) Yes, as a backup, because you can easily wear it as a watch when you aren't diving. Numbers are too small to use it for a primary computer for old eyes.

Oh, I'm drooling over the Liquivision, because of the OLED display.

a) Big numbers. I couldn't read the Mosquito I was using at the time.
b) Resettable stopwatch. Finally, I can keep track of my ascents.
c) Bought for travel, because it was small and could be worn as a watch.

a) No real drawback on the Vytec, except I wanted the stopwatch. I liked the computer a lot.
b) Aladin has small numbers, and is not nearly as easy to read as the Vytec. I have yet to get the resettable depth averaging feature to work so I can recognize what it's doing. It seems to be sensitive to even the smallest amount of moisture, and won't shut the display off or let you into any planning or logging mode if it's still wet.
c) Very small display, and total dive time is the smallest number on the screen.

a) BIG display.
b) Stopwatch
c) Flexibility to wear on land.

What dive computer do you use? AERIS ATMOS 2

Is it an air-intergrated model? Transmitter or hose? NO

Would you recommend it? Why/why not? YES. I like it; personal preference.

If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Why? NO. This has what I wanted and the price was right.

What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one? See above answer.

The one biggest drawback of the computer you use? NONE.

The best feature of the model you use? It works.

JT Divers recently started a thread regarding wrist computers that are air integrated. That got me to thinking that it would be interesting to get the ScubaBoard users thoughts on all the different computers out there (wrist models, hose models, even the new data masks), by taking a survey on which computers they have/use or would like to get. So, if you’re interest, answer a few questions.

Can’t wait to see what the responses are going to be! :blinking:

Aeris ATMOS AI
Air-integrated with hose
Yes, very sturdy, easy to read and easy to use
See previous line
Not hose less
Reliable with user replaceable batteries.

What dive computer do you use? Cressi Archimedes II

Is it an air-intergrated model? Transmitter or hose? No

Would you recommend it? Why/why not? Yes. It's simple to operate, does Nitrox, and easily read.

What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one? LDS owner uses as well. Great value

The one biggest drawback of the computer you use? More conservative than others I dive with

The best feature of the model you use? More conservative which is good for me.

Oceanic Pro Plus2 without the compass.

Air integrated.

I would definitely recommend it. The large display and simple to read are a huge plus. The programming is a snap as well.

See above.

The download cable connection.

The large display, air time remaining and safety stop timer come in real handy.

p_computers_proplus21.jpg

Ditto what Teamcasa said!

Plus great customer support from Oceanic.

suunto cobra for now

Would only recommend to recreational divers

I intend to get a VR3 soon.

I also use the oms bottom timer for redundancy.

when it dies I am switching to a Vytec or nitek duo for bottom timers/recreational dive computers.

Back
Top Bottom