Your computer --- a survey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What dive computer do you use?
Vytec, and Nitek He.
Is it an air-intergrated model? Transmitter or hose?
Vytec is AI (transmitter-linked), Nitek He is not.
Would you recommend it? Why/why not?
Would recommend the Vytec. Easy to read U/W, the AI feature is nice - not essential, but convenient. Would recommend the He. It is a good, functional, durable computer.
If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Why?
Don't know of a specific other computer that I would prefer to replace either.
What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one?
Vytec - LDS recommended Vytec, based on what I said I was looking for - reliable manufacturer (Suunto), nitrox capable, and possible future interest in AI. He - at the time it was one of the more readily available, affordable, multi-gas, helium-enabled, computers.
The one biggest drawback of the computer you use?
Suunto Dive Manager software leaves a lot to be desired. He is harder to read U/W, is no longer produced, and the download connection for He is too expensive. (I know, you asked for ONE - consider this to be a 'value added' response). For both, I wish they had an accessible stopwatch function that included seconds, rather than just a time function with minutes.
The best feature of the model you use?
Vytec - multi-gas functionality; He - multi-gas functionality, including trimix. AND, despite the fact that it is no longer manufactured, the He actually exists, and is not in interminable 'beta testing, and will be available by XXX'.

At the end of this thread, someone should collate all of the replies - be nice to get some unscientific field data that is not skewed by someone with a vested interest.

I will try to chart the responses over the weekend, and post it by Sunday night.

1. Cressi Archimedes II
2. No AI, no transmitter
3. Can recommend, has been very good first computer, I have not needed more features at this point. Nitrox capable, gage mode available, PC cable available, battery can be changed by diver.
4. Suunto Vyper, so I can get a bungee boot and use buddy’s interface :D
5. Price, local availability
6. Tobin does not make a boot for this one :D
7. Very easy to use and see (clear screen with large numbers and big buttons), activates automatically in water. Read manual once and pretty much did not need to go back.

What dive computer do you use? Oceanic Atom 2.0

Is it an air-intergrated model? Transmitter or hose? Hoseless (transmitter), wrist mount, air integrated

Would you recommend it? yes Why/why not? NO HOSE!!! All the data you need are right there. Nitrox, three gas switching, not too hard to learn basic functions. Did I mention Hoseless !?!?

If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been?
Suunto D9

Why? looks a little cooler with stainless band, and has compass built-in as well as AI with transmitter.

What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one? Wanted Hoseless, so got deal on old Atom 1 from LDS, for 40% off, then factory upgrade to Atom 2 for only 150 bucks.

Small size, display

Small size, display - which means you can wear it as the ultimate wristwatch topside that scientifically outperforms the best Rolex without it looking too big and clunky like most wrist comps. That way you can be the ultimate geek and show your dive log to those asking "what kind of watch is that?"
:dork2:
Lots of fun dive converstions were started with this thing on my wrist - wetsuit or three-piece suit.

atom2.0.jpg

What dive computer do you use?
UWATEC Smart-Tec

Is it an air-intergrated model? Transmitter or hose?
Yes, up to 3 Xmtrs

Would you recommend it? Why/why not?
Yes, if you plan to use EANx for deco or multiple gases during your dive. It really is a flexible computer in terms of options you can set/use during your dive. If you want a simple "turn it on and dive" computer, this probably wouldn't be the best for you.

If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Why?
One of several good Trimix-capable computers.

What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one?
I liked the range of options (in menu-turn on this and turn off that) offered at the time this was sold.

1. No ability to see time of day during dive
2. It gets annoying when you dive it with SPGs on the tanks, but use the multi-gas algorythm (alarms and alerts).
3. Those silly wet contacts to go through the menu system.

The display works well for me in terms of content and layout.

What dive computer do you use? Oceanic Atom & VT3

Is it an air-intergrated model? Transmitter or hose? Hoseless/wireless (transmitter), wrist mount, air integrated

Would you recommend it? yes Why/why not? NO HOSE!!! All the data you need are right there. Nitrox, three gas switching, Ease of use, reliable, Buddy monitoring on VT3 ( can be done with Atom also through gas switching)
If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Atom 2.0 for the Atom (I may yet take the upgrade option)

Why? For the Buddy monitoring feature.

What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one? Quality and price of each.

Size VT3 is large and the Atom is small

Size VT3 is large and is easy to see underwater and during nite dives. The Atom is small and has all the feature of a nice digital watch.

1. Oceanic VT3
2. AI, Transmitter
3. Absolutely, nice size screen, big numbers, easy to read, and easy to operate
4. I got exactly what I wanted.
5. Gas switching (haven't used it yet), buddy check, and ease of use.
6. Drawback? What's that?
7. Ease of use

1. Oceanic VT3
2. AI w/ transmitter
3. Definitely, no hose, easy to read, reliable
4. maybe the Atom so I could wear it all the time as a watch but decided against that due to size of display when underwater
5. HOSELESS!!! that's #1, then easy to read and use.
6. Can appear to be daunting to learn but it's really cake.
7. did I mention it's hoseless? W/ my Zeagle Octo-Z inflater/octo I've got exactly two hoses on me, 2nd stage and inflater octo. How sweet is that!

Am I the only diver using a Dacor Darwin? :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom