Your scary OW experiences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been an avid diver for almost 6 years. I'm rescue diver certified and am making my way towards dive master. To prepare myself better, i decided to take open water class over at a local college and refresh my mind of all those little things that i might have forgotten.

The instructor did very well in classroom sections. However, during the 8 pool sessions, he never came inside the pool with his gear to see how we were doing underwater. We were all instructors of our own. I mainly did a lot of leading and playing the role as an instructor, but do complain that the instructor stayed out of the water supervising the students above surface, kicking back, drinking 40, and chilling with the life guard.

My first two OW qual dives had less than 2' vis. The instructor had to hold on to our BC when we did drills to stop us drifting away in the current. I left the water almost ready to give up. The next dive had less than 1 ft vis and was black at 25', that dive was called off as the current was way to strong. My next three dives where in 6' vis water and I actually really enjoyed them. I think it is all relative, if you find somewhere with just 15' vis you may find you enjoy it, or even going back in the 5', now you know what it is like, might be okay.

FWIW I found my first 100 vis dive somewhat disturbing, after having no idea what else was sharing the water with me :wink:

You guys have some great advice and stories. I don't think it's feasible for me to travel to tropical destinations a few times a year, so next year I will probably try and get back to low viz hell again in the spring just to keep my skills up. For the meantime, I'm probably transferring my OW part of my cert. to Turks& Caicos, where I'll be in Dec. Wish me luck!

Tingkka, sounds like the instructor at community college was more interested in socializing than teaching-stay away, stay very far away from the 40s during class!

The only really scary thing about scuba is the psychopaths you see posting on scuba boards. They rant and rave. Zero people skills. It makes you hope they are taking their prescribed medications, and that you do not ever run into people like this at any scuba sites.

Dove the "Distress Express" in the Solomon Islands and got sucked into (what on the surface was a large whirlpool) a violent, spinning current. Went from 15' to 90' in a few seconds and then bounced back to about 20'. I kicked as hard as I could and couln't make it to the rocks (to hang on). My buddy didn't get pulled in and saw what happened. She was able to swim at an angle and pull me toward the rocks. We did a safety stop and then went hand-over-hand up to the surface and pulled ourselves away from the whirlpool and signalled the boat to pick us up.

You couldn't see the whirlpool from the entry point and no one knew it was there until we hit it.

When I was inside it I was tumbled like a rag doll in a Maytag. Tried spreading out, kicking like the dickens...another reason why in extreme situations a buddy could be the ticket to the rest of your life.

Anyone else encounter a whirlpool in the ocean? What was your experience?

My momma has always said "if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all" ...

...so I think i'll just keep my damn mouth shut.

Hey all,

I dive about 95% in the Pacific (southern california) and it is known to be some of the most torential recreational diving around.. Temperatures around 66 degrees, surges, current, thermoclines, and sometimes less than adaquate visibility.. But I honestly have to say that its also some of the best around for cooler water diving.

I am happy with the fact that I learned on something like this.. Mainly because when I go to tropical diving, its like swimming in the pool, only with fish =)

I know a few people who refuse to dive in california water, because they don't want to suit up with gloves, a hood, and a 7mm wetsuit.. More power to them.. However, what most people don't realize is that there are some pretty fantastic things to see in almost every environment. I don't know much about the lakes, but out here, we have incredible kelp forests, lots of marine mammals, and pretty impressive wrecks to check out. all in all, its cold, but I wouldn't give it up..

Besides, what better way to spend my tax refund! ;-)

Just my .02 cents

Paul

LilmanHSU:
I know a few people who refuse to dive in california water, because they don't want to suit up with gloves, a hood, and a 7mm wetsuit.. More power to them.. However, what most people don't realize is that there are some pretty fantastic things to see in almost every environment. I don't know much about the lakes, but out here, we have incredible kelp forests, lots of marine mammals, and pretty impressive wrecks to check out. all in all, its cold, but I wouldn't give it up..

I hear that, Paul. I certified in Monterey - which has made more than a couple fellow divers shake their heads... (me included, at the time! It was absolutely exhausting). Now Monterey is like a good workout, and I haven't gotten cold since - and the kelp forests, etc., wow....

t

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I might just add a little tidbit, for fun....

Scary moment #1:
during certification, rapidly running out of air, due to cold (54 F), over-exertion & fatigue, hands and feet completely numb and useless, trying to fight the surf surge and get back on the beach; battered in the surf, unable to remove fins, running on less than 100 psi, and still not out of the water... it took some doing, but I did make it. Didn't have the energy to panic, I guess, I just kept on trying....

Scary moment #2:
in a lava tube, about 60-65ft down, I bump my mask in an attempt to do a minor clearing and flood it; my eyes are super-sensitive, and the salt gets in, washes the sunscreen in too, and I have to force myself to remember not to panic-breathe through the nose though I'm already choking through my reg; it takes about 2-3 minutes to finally open my eyes more than a millisecond, purge the water from the mask and reg, stop coughing and calm my breathing; a minor event, but a real lesson in control for me.

Not exactly a single scary moment, but:
My personal road to being "a diver" was prefaced with lots, and lots, and lots, and lots of shark documentaries and movies. I just love 'em.
Diving Monterey has its clear days and not so clear - like 1-5ft vis. There are times when you look up from the neat little anenome on the bottom and see nothing but a big bluish-greenish glow all around, nothing else; my buddy could be right in front of me but without clear movement of a high-contrast color I see nothing.... So, not in the water but long after I've left the water, I start thinking about them; the big ones too. Uncommon and unlikely, but absolutely not impossible to meet one in those spots. It doesn't manifest as anxiousness or fear when I'm in the water, or even entering the water - only after I'm out. (I guess it's about being completely "in" the moment, one of the things I love about diving...?)

I don't know if I could handle diving the kelp forests in NorCal, I'd be freaked out of my mind worrying about a Great White popping out from behind one of those lovely green stalks. *shiver*

Back
Top Bottom