Your signature line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Jenny

dirty-finned dive goddess
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
How did you decide what, if anything, to put in your signature line? If you quoted somebody, why did you choose it? I got to thinking about this when I saw Big-t-2538's sig about Nascar RIP. I was gonna PM him and ask (I am not a Nascar fan), and that got me thinking about what SBers choose and why. Maybe he will respond here....

For me, my signature line is an extension of what I am feeling at the time. I have changed it at least 4 times since joining. And if avatars were as easy to change, I would have changed mine a couple times by now.

So, for starters, I chose my current sig line to reflect my thoughts of creativity and inspiration. I don't have to be a bigshot with a fancy title to make a change. I can be who I am and still make a difference...hopefully for the better. I need just the willpower to follow my vision (or my dreams) to make it come true. Failure is part of life, and this sig line reminds me that everybody fails at some time, and its ok...learn and move on.

Now your turn!

I think mine is pretty obvious. The line made me laugh my butt off, and it highlights how I feel about a lot of the traditional SB debate.

I've changed my sig line a few times... I like the one that I read from Michael Kane also. Something about a carpenter with tools and skills, or something... I have it somewhere...

I've changed mine a few times. The one I have now, is finally my own.

I think it represents how I feel about myself and others.

If you lie, you're always going to be known as a liar. If you're honest, you're always going to be known as honest.

Cherish what you are known as..because it will follow you through life.

Mine came from a discussion regarding procedure with another diver who was way more advanced than I was. We were debating various points and the "correct" way to do something and both of us had legitimate points regarding the procedure in question.

Then he came up with the profound response of "why dont we just go dive and try it sometime and see?" D'oh, why didnt I think of that?

My second quote is based on my observation that many divers can quote you textbook procedure, but when you actually put them in a real life situation, they go blank and forget everything they "know."

mine was stolen from and ad, talking about david doubilet`s fear. I just change the person, since i really feel that way..
Have been using it as email`s signature for two years, and just put it here in the board too.

Vincere Vel Mori To Conquer or Die
This is the motto of the scottish clan: MacLain
I've always used this sig, and probably always will.

I find the phrase to be true in just about any difficulty faced. Notice: A combat is not always a difficulty, but many choices are. The most we can do, is stay true to ourselves.

BTW, my middle name is: MacLain

My sig line deals with the sensationalism over aircraft accidents. As a pilot, and one that has gone down in a plane crash and survived in 2000, I take offense to the media hype of plane crashes. While a plane crash can kill several hundred people in a single event, thousands die every day in auto accidents. But auto accidents don't make 'good' news. It's the same mentality that causes us to slow and stare at auto accidents on the other side of the highway. As for the donkeys killing more people annually than plane crashes, it's a true statistical fact. It's meant to desensationalize the media event that creates eye candy for the public.

My sig quote is generally a well worded example of something I might wish to say. The current quote I stumbled across in the preface to Abandon Ship! which was about the USS Indianapolis disaster. The tie in had to do with a few scuba accidents that were being discussed at the time; and I've always felt there's far too much emphasis placed on watering down the truth as to not offend the families of any deceased.

Other quotes I've had are also ones that I believe in/relate to. For example, I used to have "No matter what I do, no matter what I say, somebody hates me" which is a line from a song, but is damn appropriate to this site.

On another board I use a quote that I found on a button at a trade show back in August, once again... insanely appropriate for life on a message board: "Don't hold strong opinions about things you don't understand"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom