Your Thoughts On Twin Lakes Scuba Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

z28pwr

Reaction score
Has anybody been to the Twin Lakes Scuba Park, how would you rate it ?

How's the visibility, what's the water temperature how are the installations?

Thanks.

If you are there to go sight see-ing, you will probably be dissapointed. i like to go with groups, and it is great for training dives. there are fish, turtles, ducks, grass, etc to look for. vis can be anywhere from zip-25ft or so. it is very silty on the bottom, so dont be a bottom kicker. all in all, i love the people, i like the facility (air fill station on hand), and i LOVE the bar-b-que grills. i would atleast make one trip and decide for yourself. oh yeah, the temp is about 60 right now. it will warm up to about 80 in the summer. give me a buzz if you want to go sometime.

Justin pretty much nailed it. We love it because it's in our back yard :wink:. I wouldn't say it was worth driving from San Antonio to see but if you're going to be in the area, bring your gear and join us.

There are 3 suspended training platforms on the west end of the lake as well as a couple of boats to visit. This area also gets pretty silted out, lowering the vis to a mere 2-3 feet. However the east end, on the other side of an old roadbed, has a little better vis most of the time. There's an old scool bus and a couple of boats on that end. There is still a port o'can and a changing room but I've heard there is a more formal restroom and bath house in the plans.

Justin, I'll tell Beast you enjoy his BBQ grills!

Dee,
Don't forget to tell Beast how much everyone appreciates the Tank Racks.
Awesome!

Thanks Guys.

Justin, I saw your pics from Twin Lakes and it doesn't look that great of a dive :( . Where would you guys recommend I go diving close to San Antonio for good visibility? I can't go to Aquarena Springs since I haven't taken the Scientific Diver course.

We go to Canyon or Lake Travis and sometimes the Comal. We use to dive Amistad but haven't been in about 7 years, now there is a lake with pretty good viz. Last time we dove it, it was full but with the drought and the mexican farmers using the river for irrigating their fields has drained it. Last time I ask about it I was told it was 50 ft down. Anybody else had any updates? I would like to dive that lake again, but I don't want to try and navigate all those boulders to get down to the water.

Travis seems to be the dive site of choice for most texans south of Dallas. 3 nice dive areas, lots of stuff to see, pretty parks, blah blah. Almost everyone prefers Travis to Canyon Lake. And Lake Whitney, well that's apparently a real %^&hole.

Amistad is nice, so long as you stay near the aquatic beds (they bind the sediment). These tend to be in the canyon forks... there's a nice patch directly across the lake from the boat ramp. Obviously you need a boat to reach it. The bass were so big, I thought they were SEA BASS. Giant carp too. Everything's bigger in this lake. Even picked up some freshwater sponges on sunken tree trunks around 60 feet down.
There's a dive shop in the area that you can call about current dive conditions. I think they also sell outboards. Best time to dive there would be late summer, maybe early spring. Late spring/early summer is bad 'cuz the plankton are blooming like gangbusters.

z28pwr:
Thanks Guys.

Justin, I saw your pics from Twin Lakes and it doesn't look that great of a dive :( . Where would you guys recommend I go diving close to San Antonio for good visibility? I can't go to Aquarena Springs since I haven't taken the Scientific Diver course.

z28 - welcome to Texas! On most inland dives in this state, if I can even see my dive buddy it's a good dive. There's NO chance to get ocean clear water around here, but if you're a serious diver, you'll love it anyway! Try some of the natural spring dives - Balmoreah in far west Texas for example. We like diving Travis, but the best visibility is pretty deep - past 60 feet which is pitch black and pretty chilly.

rkr3000:
There's NO chance to get ocean clear water around here, but if you're a serious diver, you'll love it anyway!

Actually, there is a chance....but only if you complete the Scientific Diving Course at Aquarena Springs. The water in Spring Lake, while shallow, is every bit as clear as the water I've been in around Cozumel.

Back
Top Bottom