You're doing it WRONG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

now I assume you were probably diving from a boat, but a mask on your forehead in mild-moderate surf during a beach entrance or exit can easily result in a lost mask. The son of a former instructor of mine lost 2 masks in the same place is reletivly low surf because he put them on his forehead.

... who started that 'mask on the forehead ...?
I first heard of it in the mid '70s from a young lad that just got done finishing his PADI course. I laughed so hard I almost swallowed half the lake, thinking the kid's instructor was pulling one of those "Get me a roll of shore line" spoofs.
Who knows, maybe it WAS a joke that took on a life of its own...

SueMermaid once bubbled...
<snip>
So I wear my mask backward on my forehead while I wait for the boat to come around and pick me up.

Hi SueMermaid,

As far as I remember....having your mask just pushed up to your forehead is the sign of panic....wearing it backwards on your forehead was actually mentioned as an alternative.

I do disagree with ScoobieDoo though...I don't think it's uncommon for folks that are panicking to freeze up...so it's very possible that a distressed diver wouldn't be waving their arms around.

Peace,
Cathie

I don't know about a mask on a forehead being a sign of panick but the inappropriate removal or handling equipment is one of the first sign of a STRESSED dover at the surface. The idea is to head off the situation before there is full blown panick. Removing the reg from the mouth when it should be in is a sure sign of stress and one of the most common BTW. Removal of the mask can be the same. When this happens it sometimes ends up on the forehead.

All that said I don't allow students to wear the mask on the forehead. It isn't because it MAY mistaken for a sign of stress but rather because it can be an idiotic and way to lose a mask. I try to save them the trouble.

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
yea, who started that 'mask on the forehead means DISTRESS' BS anyway? That is SO dumb...believe me, you'll KNOW someone who is panicked or in distress! He's waving his arms ike a flight deck controller and bobbing up and down in the water like a cork!

Is that dumb or what?

When I have the mask on backwards (like my baseball cap) does that qualify me to say the words "Boy-eeee?"

Your right they usually reject the reg first and then the mask.

We would prefer to catch the situation before they really panick. To do so requires that you pick up subtle clues to stress or discomfort. If they really panick YOU may have missed something.

I lost a nice mask a few years ago by putting in my forward on a kick out, now I always just put in around my neck.

I had never heard of the mask on the forehead as being a sign of panic, guess I learned something new.

Detroit Diver: you are right!

My mistake. I have jumped to the wrong conclusion. I have reread the posting and appologise for my assumption.

I mistakenly took the rant as a response to criticism (spelling) from DIR proponents, and IT IS NOT.

I have edited my post accordingly.

Mike D

Anytime some DM feels the need to share his half wit opinions, just turn around and ignore him. Most of the things they suggest, they can't even explain the reasoning for.

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
When I have the mask on backwards (like my baseball cap) does that qualify me to say the words "Boy-eeee?"
No. Especially if you're white and older than 21.

Jimmie

Back
Top Bottom