Zeagle 50d conversion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The tech 50D was a rebranded Apeks DST and TX50 2nd stage. The DST conversion kit will work. 4 of my 7 DSTs were sold as Zeagle regs.

The tech 50D was a rebranded Apeks DST and TX50 2nd stage. The DST conversion kit will work. 4 of my 7 DSTs were sold as Zeagle regs.
I bought the 5th port conversion from apeks. when I first looked at it, I thought it would not work because of the size difference. Now that I look at the conversion kit directions, it looks like it would work, but I need a thrust washer. Do you have any idea where I could get the thrust washer? thanks Jeff

I bought the 5th port conversion from apeks. when I first looked at it, I thought it would not work because of the size difference. Now that I look at the conversion kit directions, it looks like it would work, but I need a thrust washer. Do you have any idea where I could get the thrust washer? thanks Jeff
Hi I got it. After pulling the reg apart I found the thrust washer and it looks like it will work. I'm going to take it up to the dive shop and see if they can get it together for me. Thanks

I've converted three of mine. As you said the washer is already in the reg. Any reason you can't install it yourself?

I've converted three of mine. As you said the washer is already in the reg. Any reason you can't install it yourself?
It looks pretty simple. The kit comes with all the o rings. I think I will just do it myself. I already had the reg gone through at the shop, so everything else is ok. I'll let you know how it goes. thanks again Jeff

Do you have the service manual for it? In the manual, it clearly states that the diaphragm end must be rebuilt before the 5th port HP section. You can't just replace the 5th port HP section. The entire reg needs to be rebuilt. I found the service manual here : Zeagle Regulator Service Manual
Pg 13 has the admonition to do this or you risk damaging the HP seat.

s
Do you have the service manual for it? In the manual, it clearly states that the diaphragm end must be rebuilt before the 5th port HP section. You can't just replace the 5th port HP section. The entire reg needs to be rebuilt. I found the service manual here : Zeagle Regulator Service Manual
Pg 13 has the admonition to do this or you risk damaging the HP seat.
So I pulled the turret end apart. took the new 5th port stem and tried to screw it in just to check. The threads seem different. they look the same but it will not start. I don't think it will work. The regs have just been rebuilt, so everything is new. Not sure what to do at this point.

s

So I pulled the turret end apart. took the new 5th port stem and tried to screw it in just to check. The threads seem different. they look the same but it will not start. I don't think it will work. The regs have just been rebuilt, so everything is new. Not sure what to do at this point.
You can't just install the 5th port. It's probably hitting on the lifter stem because the reg was tuned at the time of rebuild. It has to be installed at the time of rebuild.
What is likely to happen the way you did it is that the HP seat has now been compromised and is likely to fail prematurely.
And now that you've taken it apart, you can't put the old parts back in for the same reason. There is most likely going to be a new groove in the HP and it and the old one overlap, you'll get a leak. That will lead to the IP going nuts and possibly ruining the diaphragm.
What you need to do at this point is take the reg to a tech that has the manual and they need to put a new service kit in along with the 5th port. You can't re-use any of the old parts.
There is also a chance that the threads are different depending on the age of the reg. Huish took over Zeagle and there may have been some design changes or OEM changes that would require your tech to use Zeagle parts. I can't speak to that as I'm not a factory-certed Zeagle or Apeks tech. Though I have worked on both.
But the port issue you are running into would be found on most diaphragm regs where the correct rebuild procedures were not followed.
Until this year when I retired, I taught reg service for HOG and Deep Six and have written around 10 service manuals. For both of those as well as Dacor (Mares) and Dive Gear Express.

You can't just install the 5th port. It's probably hitting on the lifter stem because the reg was tuned at the time of rebuild. It has to be installed at the time of rebuild.
What is likely to happen the way you did it is that the HP seat has now been compromised and is likely to fail prematurely.
And now that you've taken it apart, you can't put the old parts back in for the same reason. There is most likely going to be a new groove in the HP and it and the old one overlap, you'll get a leak. That will lead to the IP going nuts and possibly ruining the diaphragm.
What you need to do at this point is take the reg to a tech that has the manual and they need to put a new service kit in along with the 5th port. You can't re-use any of the old parts.
There is also a chance that the threads are different depending on the age of the reg. Huish took over Zeagle and there may have been some design changes or OEM changes that would require your tech to use Zeagle parts. I can't speak to that as I'm not a factory-certed Zeagle or Apeks tech. Though I have worked on both.
But the port issue you are running into would be found on most diaphragm regs where the correct rebuild procedures were not followed.
Until this year when I retired, I taught reg service for HOG and Deep Six and have written around 10 service manuals. For both of those as well as Dacor (Mares) and Dive Gear Express.
It's going to the shop today.I didn't put much pressure on it. I hope I didn't mess anything up. I'll let you know. thanks for the info. I will make sure the tech goes through the whole reg again. Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom