Zeagle Scout?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As others have mentioned the Scout is a fine BC. You may grow out of it eventually but it has a relatively low cost of entry making a move down the road a little less painful assuming you move at all. If money isn't a huge issue, moving up to the Stiletto or ScubaToys Zeagle Brigrade might be a nice option but nothing wrong with the Scout especially in the $250 neck of the woods.

I appreciate the responses. I have a friend who is an ex-seal. He said it looked nice, but he wasn't too keen on the plastic parts. When I really look at it, to be realistic, I will probably do around 40-50 dives to begin with per year. Most will still be in the Indiana summer. We are going to South Carolina this summer, so it would go along. I am curious on what your take of my next question is. My dive shop is interested in selling me an Aqualung vest, but the cost is around $400.00. To me, I am kind of frugal, so I want the most bang for my buck. They sell Zeagle, but Aqualung is what he recommends. What is your take?

Maybe you weren't able to notice the difference.

Have you read my sig line?

My opinion that the Scout (with singles) dives as well as a BP&W with singles isn't restricted to people of my limited dive experience, but thanks for noticing. There is a diver on SB who has manned up to having 500 - 999 dives who has the same opinion.

Have you personally tried the Scout? Did you adjust it properly?

I didn't want the additional "clutter" of adding top pockets and I prefer not to use a weight belt.I assume you added these since my Scout only came with 2 rear dump pockets and 2 lower front pockets.
I don't remember if the older model Scout has top pockets or not.I saw Herman's last year but can't remember if it had top pockets or not.Maybe he'll post again and clarify.
Anyway thanks for the tip.

Mine is one of the older stripped down models. It only has the rear weight pockets on the cam bands and bno cumberbun. Come to think of it, mine did came with a 35lb bladder but I swapped it for an 18lb one, my ET has the 24 lb bladder..... when it has one at all. :)

Don't be concerned about the plastic buckels. The junk about breaking them is mainly techie bravado/BPwing BS. The very few that do get broke are done on a boat with some yoyo dropping his tank on them. Sure it can happen but it's rare. The advantage of them greatly outweights the possibility of it breaking.

I'm glad some are enjoying their Scouts, but it is my least favorite Zeagle bc.

It has a 2 year warranty. The rest of Zeagle's line has a lifetime warranty.
The shoulders are sewn in place, so there is no way to fit a tall fat short skinny guy by swapping components.
Without a true weight system at the waist some will be inclined to put weights in the pockets and zip them in place, where they will remain if a diving emergency were to happen.
The BC is designed to be worn with a weight belt. A seemingly odd product from the company who's early motto was "Diving without a weight belt"

If you only want to spend money on a BC one time, don't settle for a starter model.
:popcorn:

A bc is one of the things you really don't need to buy from your shop. This is especially true of Zeagle since they are highly adjustable. I just missed a SB member selling a used Ranger (medium) for $80 shipping included. He has another medium for sale, close to new, at around $330. A medium work for you, (just a bit of concern that the shoulder straps may be an inch short of optimal for you) and the Ranger is a lot more bc than the Scout.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...eight-systems/374939-zeagle-rangers-sale.html

Last edited:
I will buy your newer Zeagle if you can wait for the payment until next Friday? I teach students after school, and have a little bonus coming next week. I would buy it now, but don't have the scratch. Will you work with me on it?

Driftwood, thanks. I think that is the way I am going to go. I have been reading up on the Ranger, and really want that BC. I wore a medium in my training, so I would imagine most mediums work well. I wore the Seaquest Wave Medium for training. It fit really well on me. I noticed the sternum strap rode a little high, but once I was floating on the water, I pulled my kit down, and everything worked well. This is better than what I can say for my dive buddy, who had his tank come undone when we were on the bottom. I only hope the guy will work with me on the BC. I won't be able to buy it until next Friday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom