Zeagle Stiletto Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funkyspelunker:
it wouldn't be much of a review if they were all good, then it would be more like.......marketing.

If you truely BELIEVE this, then you should step back and think about it some more. If you absolutely love a product, and find it functional and well designed in every aspect, then there does NOT need to be anything negative about it.. period.

I can think of many things I've used/done over my lifetime that I can not say one negative thing about. This includes guns, movies, clothing, camera bags, tools, electronics, camera's, and yes even some dive gear.

I seriously don't think there is anything wrong with saying negative things about a product, but it should NOT be a requirement of a review.

As for riding up, and turtling, it sounds like you have some fit and weighting issues. I have not tried on one Weight Integrated Back Inflate BCD that had the weight pockets in a much different location vs. the Zeagles.

BTW, what is UP with MODERATING peoples comments on your reviews?

I think this discussion has shed light on an aspect of these BCs I didn't fully consider before. I like the fact that I got razed so badly for pointing out a few deficiencies. At first I was a little put off, but then I realized that if Scott was getting on my case, then the manufacturer probably actually has its ear to the ground in terms of listening to what the public is saying about its products, even if it was a bit harsh initially.

RonFrank:
If you truely BELIEVE this, then you should step back and think about it some more. If you absolutely love a product, and find it functional and well designed in every aspect, then there does NOT need to be anything negative about it.. period.

I can think of many things I've used/done over my lifetime that I can not say one negative thing about. This includes guns, movies, clothing, camera bags, tools, electronics, camera's, and yes even some dive gear.

I seriously don't think there is anything wrong with saying negative things about a product, but it should NOT be a requirement of a review.

As for riding up, and turtling, it sounds like you have some fit and weighting issues. I have not tried on one Weight Integrated Back Inflate BCD that had the weight pockets in a much different location vs. the Zeagles.

BTW, what is UP with MODERATING peoples comments on your reviews?

Hey buddy, I'm not trying to start any static here. The moderation is to keep out any inappropriate material such as ads for penis enlargement. Your post, though not too favorable of my opinion came through just fine.

You're right that every once in a while there is a perfect thing, but most products have things going for them and things that could be improved. I first heard about the term "turtleback" from my buddy who has a Ranger, after describing what was happening to me. He said its common with Zeagles and that you just get used to it. He is the guy at the LDS who sold me the Stiletto so I took his word for it. He loves his Ranger.

I guess I didn't experience the turtleback or riding-up at all on my Balance, but then again it had its own drawbacks, one of which is its lack of good pockets and too short of a hose for an SS1.

You guys love your Zeagle BCs and I think thats great. But other people, myself included, are entitled to their own opinions, even if we don't yet have 2000+ dives on our BCD yet. Jeeze, I'm entitled to like or not like a BC by just looking at it, now whether or not someone wants to base their decision on that opinion is another story and up to them to decide! :10:

funkyspelunker:
You guys love your Zeagle BCs and I think thats great. But other people, myself included, are entitled to their own opinions, even if we don't yet have 2000+ dives on our BCD yet. Jeeze, I'm entitled to like or not like a BC by just looking at it, now whether or not someone wants to base their decision on that opinion is another story and up to them to decide! :10:

HI Calvin,

I don't think anyone is saying you can't have your own opition...I read your review and tried to add a comment on your site...I couldn't see that it went through and I got an error message...but the gist of that is here:

Interesting reading.

While I appreciated hearing about your experiences, you lost credibility with me as a reviewer based on the following comment: "and most of my gripes are a result of pure design shortcomings, which I will get to."

After reading the 'gripes' and referring to my own experiences with this and other BCs (Zeagle and otherwise, other back-inflate models, including the SQ Balance you also dive), the claim looks a little suspect. The 'gripes' look like a combination of personal preference and possible fit and weighting issues that might be resolved with further use of this BC...I can't see the 'pure design shortcomings' based on what you've said here [there].

Also, I got the impression that your review might have been influenced by other reviews/opinions you had read. Maybe not, (Just MHO)...but the criticism of the ripcord weight system looked to me like another shot at a common target...people love it or hate it, some are just intimidated by it...but, from what I've read, not that many who are commenting have had to USE it to ditch wieght...or tried to rethread it...If you're reporting someone else's opinion, say so, then add your bit.

I think you should keep writing reviews...more opions to inform folks who are considering this. However, I'd encourage you not to extrapolate relatively limited experiences into strong (general) statements about a product or type of product...(It looks like you've got plans to develop your reviews over time...I noticed you've updated the site...good for you)

FWIW, I don't dive a Zeagle BC, but I do have Zeagle regs...Perhaps that makes me one of the 'Zeagle zealots'...but I'm not so sure...I'm just interested in information and experiences with gear...

Calvin, could you comment on how or why your review and selection differs from the scubadiving.com review?

boxcar:
HI Calvin,

While I appreciated hearing about your experiences, you lost credibility with me as a reviewer based on the following comment: "and most of my gripes are a result of pure design shortcomings, which I will get to."

After reading the 'gripes' and referring to my own experiences with this and other BCs (Zeagle and otherwise, other back-inflate models, including the SQ Balance you also dive), the claim looks a little suspect. The 'gripes' look like a combination of personal preference and possible fit and weighting issues that might be resolved with further use of this BC...I can't see the 'pure design shortcomings' based on what you've said here [there].

I think you should keep writing reviews...more opions to inform folks who are considering this. However, I'd encourage you not to extrapolate relatively limited experiences into strong (general) statements about a product or type of product...(It looks like you've got plans to develop your reviews over time...I noticed you've updated the site...good for you)[/I]

I totally appreciate the constructive criticism. I'm relatively new at this and of course I'll get better at presenting my opinion without offending others. To answer your questions, you're right, it may be the way my body shape/wetsuit interacts with the BCD in question. And the only thing I have to compare it to are either jacket style or the Balance. That being said, I've been diving dry in the BC and it doesn't ride up now, probably because the suit is much bulkier and has a few valves and a hose to help anchor it.

The weight ditching system is something I've done a couple of times, never in an emergency. I just think that while it is very good for ditching, it is not so good for general ease of use. My SeaQuest's weight pouches came out easily in times when I wanted to remove them and hand them to someone on the boat, or to change amounts of weight (for instance if a buddy needed to borrow a few lbs to descend). Its just hard, in my opinion, to shove those mesh pockets into the BC pockets, and there are 2 layers of zippers at opposite ends to get through to get a weight out.

Out of respect for your opinion I will update my review to be "more opinion based" and axe the strong language. I don't have it out for Zeagle, its actually becoming quite the opposite!

I'm not offended by any of your comments. If you want me to be totally honest, I echo Rons thoughts that riding up and turtling. When I first read your review, I thought you said that the ripcord had to be pulled in order to remove the weights - which is where my original comment came from.

In the future, I will try to read better while I am on a phone call... :wink:

rpodos:
Calvin, could you comment on how or why your review and selection differs from the scubadiving.com review?

Well, they differ because scubadiving.com is done by a group of testers who are trying to pseudo-scientifically come to a relative ranking by consensus. I know that they are very thorough, and I'm not trying to say that my opinion is anywhere near as useful as thiers. My review is just the thoughts of a guy who has a BCD and a blog. That being said, I have read some reviews on scubadiving.com and then bought products based on that, and then come to a different conclusion on my own. That isn't always the case, but it shouldn't be that unusual. I'm the same way with movies (I always end up liking movies the critics hate, and think half the academy award winners are not worth the mileage on my dvd player).

I really don't know if you are insinuating that they are both either too similar or too different. Please clarify!

Adobo:
For better or worse, I am opinionated and am not afraid to share. Stay tuned.

Adobo,

I don't want to offend you, but don't you think you should actually BE certified, and do some REAL dives before jumping into equipment reviews?

Certainly express you opinion of if a mask leaks, or fins hurt, but I would suggest that you need to get more than 15' deep in a pool, get your buoyancy and weighting right, and do a LOT more diving before you start reviewing BCD's or Regs...

Just a suggestion.

Cheers, and congradulations on you decision to dive, it's an awesome experience!

This is a difficult thread to follow because it keeps changing it's mind.

Stiletto... what a great BC!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom