Zeagle Zena BC Question/Opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FaithC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am going for my OW cert dives in June and I am considering purchasing the Zena BC. I tried one on in my LDS today and loved how it fit. My question is about the zipper. How difficult is it to remove the BC in the water and put back on having to secure the zipper? Any special technique, tips or tricks to make it easy? I will probably be wearing gloves at the time.

The only time I've done this was in the confined pool with a jacket BC that had a big Velcro cummerbund and a clip.

Thanks!
Faith

There are some tricks to the Zena, it's good you asked. Making sure it is adjusted properly on your body will guarantee that your tank will never rotate or move on your body during the dive. Before you buy, make sure you're positioning the straps properly on your body wearing whatever thickness of suit you normally wear. Zeagles are modular in design so you can mix and match the 3 pieces (vest, front panels, and shoulder section) for a near custom fit. Keep in mind that if you cannot get the middle strap to your waist, you need a larger shoulder section, and if you can tighten your shoulder straps ALL the way down while the middle strap is positioned at your waist, you need a smaller shoulder section.

Here's the quick tutorial:

When boat diving: Make sure all of your straps are loose before zipping up the corset. Once zipped, tighten everything down enough to get off the boat. At the start of your descent, go horizontal and loosen all of your straps completely. Grab the sides and yard the entire BC down until the middle straps are below (or at the very bottom of) your ribs or at your natural waist. From the bottom up, start tightening the straps, again making sure the middle strap is at your waist. You should find that you simply need to take the slack out of your shoulder straps. If you've done this correctly, you should have about 1/2 of the slack taken up in your straps and there should be no movement of your Zena or tank no matter what position you are in.

When shore diving: I've found that if you tighten the shoulder straps ALL the way down immediately after putting your tank on your back, walking to the water is much easier. I also tighten them down before exiting the water as well. The process used to adjust the Zena is the same once you're in the water.

I did my rescue class in my Zena and had no problem removing or redonning my BC during the exercises. I simply had to remember to loosen the body straps prior to removal and before I re-donned it. I have over 500 dives on my Zena and it shows little to no wear, and I'm looking forward to another 500 dives in it! :)

If your LDS won't custom build a Zena for you (at no additional cost), consider taking your measurements and calling the guys at Scubatoys. Not only will they build you a perfectly fitting Zena, but they will guarantee that it will fit or they'll make it right!

If your LDS won't custom build a Zena for you (at no additional cost), consider taking your measurements and calling the guys at Scubatoys. Not only will they build you a perfectly fitting Zena, but they will guarantee that it will fit or they'll make it right!

I got my Zena custom fit at Scuba Toys. I have had absolutely zero problems with the zipper and it's super easy to adjust the sides to allow additional room if needed when zipping up. DiveMaven has it right with the info shared on the Zena. A custom-fit Zena is the way to go!

I'll be doing my OW certification dives in a quarry. It will be cold and I will be wearing gloves, it is difficult to get the zipper zipped while in the water performing a removal and re-don? It's really the glove aspect combined with the zipper that Im a little worried about.

using a zipper as a way to don a bcd seems a bit stupid. if the zipper gets stuck ok breaks then youre outa luck. and yes you may have trouble using the zipper with gloves. i would recommend the zeagle lazer which is like the stiletto but cut for a woman. ive had a stiletto for 6 or 7 years, about 2000 dives and its still holding up great.

I decided not to go with the Zeagle Zena because of the zipper for the reasons you mentioned. It just didn't seem like a good idea. I have a hard enough time with zippers on dry land sometimes, let alone under the water.

good choice! i love zeagle but that one does seem a bit dumb. checked out the lazer?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom