Zen Interfering with Suunto Vytec!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've been diving a Vytec (guage mode with transmitter for pressure reading) for years and generally used it alongside/next to an X1. For the past few months I've been using a Zen and noticed my Vytec started unsynching early in the dive. I finally sent the thing back to Suunto who charged me $60 or so to tell me it was working fine (not to mention the $55 in batteries I spent).

Anyway, yesterday, I went for another dive (had just gotten the Vytec back from Suunto) and it synched right up -- got into the water -- worked great -- UNTIL I was underwater for about a minute and then "FAIL" started flashing again! Damn. Oh well, had my backup SPG (actually my beloved Cobra) so Dive On. The Zen worked just fine.

OK -- I got out of the water, Zen timed out as designed and, hmmm, Vytec is now synched again. What?

So today I hooked up the reg, synched the Vytec -- got solid reading -- then put the Zen into "Dive Sim" mode and put it next to Vytec (I had been putting the Zen on my right arm first, then the Vytec) -- lost synch -- took the Zen away -- synched -- Zen back next to Vytec -- lost synch -- and repeated several times. Then I put the Zen on the other side of the Vytec (if looking down on the Vytec face, would be the left side), no loss of synch -- move it to right side -- lost synch!

Don't know what or why but I thought I'd post this.

Anyone have any idea as to what is going on?

BTW, only when in Dive mode does this seem to happen.

I've been diving a Vytec (guage mode with transmitter for pressure reading) for years and generally used it alongside/next to an X1. For the past few months I've been using a Zen and noticed my Vytec started unsynching early in the dive. I finally sent the thing back to Suunto who charged me $60 or so to tell me it was working fine (not to mention the $55 in batteries I spent).

Anyway, yesterday, I went for another dive (had just gotten the Vytec back from Suunto) and it synched right up -- got into the water -- worked great -- UNTIL I was underwater for about a minute and then "FAIL" started flashing again! Damn. Oh well, had my backup SPG (actually my beloved Cobra) so Dive On. The Zen worked just fine.

OK -- I got out of the water, Zen timed out as designed and, hmmm, Vytec is now synched again. What?

So today I hooked up the reg, synched the Vytec -- got solid reading -- then put the Zen into "Dive Sim" mode and put it next to Vytec (I had been putting the Zen on my right arm first, then the Vytec) -- lost synch -- took the Zen away -- synched -- Zen back next to Vytec -- lost synch -- and repeated several times. Then I put the Zen on the other side of the Vytec (if looking down on the Vytec face, would be the left side), no loss of synch -- move it to right side -- lost synch!

Don't know what or why but I thought I'd post this.

Anyone have any idea as to what is going on?

BTW, only when in Dive mode does this seem to happen.

While we can't be exactly certain what is causing this, I can say that VR technologies uses the same OLED as the Xen (in their VR-X OLED computer), and when they added RF air integration (using licensed oceanic transmitters), the OLED created some interference so they had to modify the oceanic transmitter to get around the problem. This is one reason why the Lynx uses ultrasonic technology for air integration, since ultrasound is unaffected by any electromagnetic interference. The Xen is CE certified, which means its electromagnetic emissions are controlled and within legal limits for consumer devices.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

Thanks Eric. As I wrote, it is a simple fix. Last night was the first dive since playing with this and I put the Xen on my left wrist with the Vytec on the right -- not a single issue.

I have a VyperAir that has syncing issues, but since I carry a brass spg, I just don't bother with it.

After reading this thread, I am starting to think the sync issues started about the time I got my Xen, I'll have to test this out on my next dive :)

thanks for posting

nimoh -- it is actually pretty easy to test -- hook up your reg, get the Vyper synched then crank up the Xen and put it into dive simulation mode and then put it next to the Vyper -- one side and then the other and look to see if the synch changes.

Vytec - left arm
Xen - right arm
Cobra - left hip

By my reckoning, this leaves a right hip and 2 ankles free for additional gadgets. What's on your wish list for those places? :blinking:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom