Zipper Location on Drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brutus_scuba

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I"m looking at some dry suits, I know there are those who swear by DUI, and those who love the FUSION technology. I'm going to get a chance to dive both before buying, but in cost comparison I'm looking at the DUI TLS350, and the TLSse, and it seems the only difference is front entry vs rear entry (and $680). Are there any other differences in the suit? Other than self-donning what are the advantages of the zipper in the front? Doese it take stress off the zipper? What else is there?

I dive with the DUI and several I dive with use the rear entry. Unless you plan on diving solo it won't matter. The zippers are basically the same and it is a non issue with stress points or wear. Which ever one you go with maintain them with the zipper lubricant and keep the teeth clean and free of sand. The front self donning models do however make it easier for bladder relief on the trips to the porta potty.

The front self donning models do however make it easier for bladder relief on the trips to the porta potty.

That's what p valves are for...

Already said, but not much of a difference other than how you put it on and zipper replacement. I've only ever had front zip suits and I've replaced the zipper on 2 DUI front zips. I've never had to replace a back zip, but I've been told it's much easier and I'd guess it really is, but it wasn't difficult to replace the front zips either. If you're not going to DIY, that won't be an issue except for maybe for your wallet. As for solo diving in the dry suit, there are techniques for self donning rear zips without assistance.

The back zip was installed on most dry suits because it is optimum for the zipper. A front zip is much more convenient if you don't have a strong buddy or you are diving single and you don't have a buddy to help you suit up. Otherwise entry is about as easy either way. With a front zip you can check to see if it close all the way, too.

I won a Diving Concepts Z-Flex with a front Zip and my girlfriend has a OS Systems back zip. In my opinion the back zip is way easier to get in and out of then the front zip.

I appreciate all the feedback. My only question now is am I right to presume that that is the only difference between the TLS350 and the TLSse, because that's 680 dollars. I want to make sure that I'm not missing out on something else. I'm going to have the money to pay for this so I want to do it right, but 700 for front vs. rear isn't worth it but if it's front vs. rear and better seals or something that I'll still go with the 350 ya know?

We were talking DUI with our LDS owner recently... he dives a front-zip, but said if he did it again he'd go back-zip since he's rarely or ever without someone around to zip him up...

The TLS SE has different boots and no"telescoping" torso, so fit may not be as good as it could be. I would call DUI and talk to 1 of their customer service people. They have always been very helpful when I've had a question. FWIW, I wouldn't own a suit with a back zip. I have 2 DUI's and wouldn't buy anything else.

Front zips have the advantage of slightly more flexibility around the shoulders which is one reason why techies like front zip - it's just that little bit easier to reach valves behind your head. Disadvantage is that they are harder to get on and off as the back zip gives you a much bigger entry point that doesn't require you to be double jointed to get into.

I have to caveat the comments that they are the same in terms of stress and wear - this is only true if the front zip is in the proper place on your body - a suit that is too long or too baggy can result in the bottom of the zip coming below your hip as opposed to above it, where it should be. The zip will get flexed and stressed each time you bend which is not good. If you go front zip, make sure that the zip is in the right place for you.

I have front entry drysuit, sure, it feels a bit tedious to put it on, but I can do it all by myself, so back entry is a no go.

Once you try front entry, there's no going back. :)

BTW, somebody once told me that TLSse is not that much of a suit, so perhaps you might want to look into that, not quite the same as TLS350.

Back
Top Bottom