Zipper lube and other dumb questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just bought my first drysuit and it arrived in the mail today. I may be asking some elementary questions, but here it goes:

1. Suggestions for lubricant for zipper?

2. I have a hood (not a dry suit hood). I notice drysuit hoods are cut above the neck. My hood extends to the shoulder. So I am guessing it would be a mistake to wear my hood then put my drysuit on....If so, can I get by with the hood I have or do I need a drysuit hood.

I am sure I will have other follow up questions...thanks in advance for the help.

I bought a Harvey's Aqua Capsule...neoprene....any suggestions on other maintence issues or flaws with my suit will also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Did your suit not come with an instruction and care manual and a starter set of talc & zipper wax?

My Bare did and I'd advise that you either locate a copy of the drysuit manual or call the manufacturer to find out what they recommend for care and maintenance. I have latex wrist and neck seals and the maintenance is simple. I hang it up, close all the zippers and spray it down with a hose. Then I let it dry and then put talc on the latex seals and then wax on the zipper while its open. Then I open and close the zipper a couple times to work in the wax. Then back in the storage bag.

Silicone is very bad for seals, especially latex seals as it causes the latex to dry out and breakdown faster.

You can get zipper wax at just about any online scuba store or any LDS should have it. Whether or not it's specifically made for drysuit zippers or is really just normal wax is beyond me. But why chance it in my opinion, buy the wax that says its made for drysuit zippers, it won't be that much more expensive.

As for your hood, I have the same situation. I didn't purchase the drysuit hood as my head usually doesn't get cold enough where I dive, so I just use my 7mm wetsuit hood. You won't be able to tuck it in but your neck exposure should be pretty minimal.

Take good care of it and it should last you a long time.

Happy and safe diving!

please don't flame me...but i bought it off ebay.....I know that is not the best method, but since it is my first one I wanted to find out what I liked and didn't like.
Before you use the suit, consider doing a pressure test. Plug the arms with water bottles. Plug the neck seal with a 6" PVC slip cap secured with zip ties. Then pressurize the suit until it is really good and firm. Squirt soapy water on every part of the suit, but especially the seams. Any leaks will begin bubbling like crazy. This will let you know where any problem spots needing repair are. The key to a good pressure test is to really pump the suit up full and tight.

please don't flame me...but i bought it off ebay.....I know that is not the best method, but since it is my first one I wanted to find out what I liked and didn't like.

I will post the link if they let me...it seems ok...I'm taking it to the springs in FLA next weekend with my instructor since I am upgrading...

Thanks for all the help and pointers. As a relatively new diver......I love this site !

XXXL JUMBO DRYSUIT BY HARVEY'S GREAT CONDITION USED - eBay (item 190371059522 end time Feb-12-10 16:24:19 PST)
Ok, sorry I missed this post as it was done about a minute before my actual post, while I was typing it.

You could still contact the manufacturer and see what they recommend or maybe you can download a user manual from their website. Either way it can't hurt to try.

I use the lube stick every time I use the suit. Keep any latex seals well talced and clean. Dry suit hoods don't have the bib so you can tuck them under the flap over the neck seal, if the suit has one. I've seen the bibbed hoods used before with the bib floating up in the divers face for the whole dive. Was good for comic relief, had to be a pain for the diver.

I use the lube stick every time I use the suit. Keep any latex seals well talced and clean. Dry suit hoods don't have the bib so you can tuck them under the flap over the neck seal, if the suit has one. I've seen the bibbed hoods used before with the bib floating up in the divers face for the whole dive. Was good for comic relief, had to be a pain for the diver.

I just bought my first drysuit and it arrived in the mail today. I may be asking some elementary questions, but here it goes:

2. I have a hood (not a dry suit hood). I notice drysuit hoods are cut above the neck. My hood extends to the shoulder. So I am guessing it would be a mistake to wear my hood then put my drysuit on....If so, can I get by with the hood I have or do I need a drysuit hood.

I am sure I will have other follow up questions...thanks in advance for the help.

I bought a Harvey's Aqua Capsule...neoprene....any suggestions on other maintence issues or flaws with my suit will also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dont put your hood under your neck seal it WILL leak as someone stated earlier. I use zip stick from DUI on my zipper and it seems to work well. I was told not to use silicon spray on my zipper because it will build up and be difficult to remove. Not sure if that is true but I didnt want to find out.

Your drysuit touches your body at the seals. Anything that's between your body and the seals will make it leak. That includes hair, including body hair. If you make channels with your body by turning your neck, then you will get a leak. Turn your chest to turn your head. Your hood goes over the neck seal.

Drysuit zipper wax can be bought at your LDS for $10 for a lifetime supply (one stick). DO NOT put it on the inside of the zipper or you're going to leak. Close the zipper, put it on the outside of the teeth and open / close the zipper a few times. My zipper's rear entry and I can close the zipper on my own.

Silicone spray will mess up your suit. Don't use it. It can make future repairs problematic.

If you have neoprene seals, remember that they get folded back on themselves for maximum leak protection. For the wrists, bend the edge of the cuff inwards so they fold in by about an inch. The neck is up to you -- mine folds back by a good six inches.

Here are some zipper care recommendations from the biggest maker of drysuit zippers, including BDM and YKK:

page7

Basically, they recommend wax for the outer teeth, liquid lube for the inner teeth.

Put the hood on after putting on the drysuit. Since it's not made for a drysuit, the excess neck of your hood will probably curl up, but the hood will work fine (in moderate temps, of course). You'll eventually want to get a hood that fits the suit better.

You'll enjoy being warm! :)

Dave C

You don't have a drysuit hood or an owner's manual. You should have both.

Why not call up Harvey's and order both? Heck, they may not even charge you for the manual.

I finally stopped using the zipper lubricant that came with the suit (McNett's Zip Lube) and switched to GULFWAX PARAFFIN WAX. The Zip Lube was expensiove, and didn't work well/last very long. The Gulfwax is great. Although some have described noticing a wax buildup on their zipper when using it, I have not. It is very inexpensive, and works very well, and I need to apply it only every 10-15 dives, at most.

Back
Top Bottom