Zipper lube and other dumb questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

westy31006

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just bought my first drysuit and it arrived in the mail today. I may be asking some elementary questions, but here it goes:

1. Suggestions for lubricant for zipper?

2. I have a hood (not a dry suit hood). I notice drysuit hoods are cut above the neck. My hood extends to the shoulder. So I am guessing it would be a mistake to wear my hood then put my drysuit on....If so, can I get by with the hood I have or do I need a drysuit hood.

I am sure I will have other follow up questions...thanks in advance for the help.

I bought a Harvey's Aqua Capsule...neoprene....any suggestions on other maintence issues or flaws with my suit will also be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. I have a hood (not a dry suit hood). I notice drysuit hoods are cut above the neck. My hood extends to the shoulder. So I am guessing it would be a mistake to wear my hood then put my drysuit on....If so, can I get by with the hood I have or do I need a drysuit hood.

Hoods for dry suits tend to be long enough to overlap the neck seal. You can always modify your current hood! Neoprene is nothing more than rubber with nylon facing and backing.

DS on first and hood over it. If you had your hood go under the neck seal, you would definitely get water leaking into your suit.

I was going to suggest some silicon spray. That's what I use, but I dive wet 100%. I don't know if there are special considerations for a drysuit zipper.

They make dry suit zipper lube. Frankly it looks like wax to me, but I'm not sure. The stuff I had I got from Trident.

I was going to suggest some silicon spray. That's what I use, but I dive wet 100%. I don't know if there are special considerations for a drysuit zipper.

My understanding is that the propellants in silicone spray will damage a drysuit (or any suit). I generally use beeswax or other semi-soft wax (Ace Hardware sells a stick called "Door Ease" that works well.) If you want to use silicone, use only a food-grade gel.

Silicon is a bad lubricant, sometimes mixed with other chemicals that might do harm to a very expensive zipper. I believe the standard is beeswax, but I would not trust any wetsuit diver (including myself) for advice. I would refer to the manufacturer.

I bought a Harvey's Aqua Capsule...neoprene....any suggestions on other maintence issues or flaws with my suit will also be appreciated.
I have owned every model of Aqua Capsule Harvey's makes and to be honest, the only one I have really been happy with is the bottom-of-the line, cheapest one they sell. Every time I buy the upgrade suit with some new, flexible, comfortable neoprene, I end up disappointed. I started diving my most recent suit in December. I started sealing up leaky seams withing a month. 6 or 8 repair sessions so far. Granted, as a hull cleaner I put a lot of wear and tear on a suit, but, c'mon! For $1800 I expect to get more than a month out of a drysuit before I start getting wet in it!

That being said, AquaSeal is the neoprene drysuit owner's best friend. Get lots of it. You'll need it.

Aquaseal Urethane Repair Adhesive & Sealant

You got an owner's manual with the suit. Right? If so, there should be a maintenance section in there.

Drysuit maintenance is very important, especially with the zipper and seals.

For zippers, most recommend using specially zipper wax or bee's wax. Rub on when the zipper's closed and do it each dive day.

From what I've read, using silicone is bad idea, as it prevents and/or inhibits the ability to make repairs, alternations in the future.

For seals, keep 'em clean and use talc each time you don the DS.

please don't flame me...but i bought it off ebay.....I know that is not the best method, but since it is my first one I wanted to find out what I liked and didn't like.

I will post the link if they let me...it seems ok...I'm taking it to the springs in FLA next weekend with my instructor since I am upgrading...

Thanks for all the help and pointers. As a relatively new diver......I love this site !

XXXL JUMBO DRYSUIT BY HARVEY'S GREAT CONDITION USED - eBay (item 190371059522 end time Feb-12-10 16:24:19 PST)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom