Zipper wax

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pafafin wax, is that the same kind of wax skiers use for cross-country skis?

I got the pure beeswax at JoAnn Fabrics. $14.00 or so if I recall for a one pound block that will last me years and years. Or $5.99 or whatever they charge for 2 ounces of zipper wax.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Parafin wax is used for baking and canning. So ANY grocery store has it.

Sent from an undisclosed location using Tapatalk.

That is what everyone always says. But I went to 4 different grocery stores and none of them had any. 3 stores had no idea what I was talking about and 1 store had phased it out a few months back. All the stores had a small section with the jars and lids, just no wax. And by no wax I mean they did not carry it.

But the McNett stuff for waterproof zippers has worked great.

Pafafin wax, is that the same kind of wax skiers use for cross-country skis?
The waxes used on cross-country skiis have a huge range of hardness/stickiness to deal with different temperatures and snow conditions. I presume they use blends with various polymers to achieve this, and many are quite soft at temperatures divers would prefer. I would not want to mess with XC ski waxes and risk having a gooey zipper on my dry suit; far better to get a simple, hard zipper wax from a dive shop.

Would anyone know if Viking's drysuits are supplied with blue hard paraffin wax?

I got the pure beeswax at JoAnn Fabrics. $14.00 or so if I recall for a one pound block that will last me years and years. Or $5.99 or whatever they charge for 2 ounces of zipper wax.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

I never thought of that. Thanks for thinking out of the box.

Am I the only one that uses plain unscented candles? You know, the cheapo variety?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom