Canon Housings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear a slate on my arm (one of those folding ones) and I re-set my white balance continually through a dive.. careful to set it too.. If you forget, you may find your photos have too much red in them if you ascend at all, or not enough if you went deeper.

I find setting the white balance really helps my shots... a minor tweak using photoshop pruduces some great shots using only my 3.2 mp camera... I am buying a drysuit, THEN a new digi-camera... so in the meantime, I tweak my lile Canon S-230...

Willar I agree with all you say, I use both the S50 and the S70 for underwater shots. I like the fact these P&S's do give you JPEG or RAW w/ access to the controls. I use an Inon Z-240 strob on the S50 and the D2000 on the S70....the more lighting the better off you are. I use a variable strength modeling light on both cameras and use it from the opposite side, or in the middle of the camera body, from the srobe(s)...great shadowing and added depth.....more light, greater depth, bettershots. Can't wait to use the new G9....

CompuDude:
If you can get a standard tripod screw from somewhere, however, you can probably screw something else to the bottom of the case to weight it rather than spending $30+ for Canon's little pieces of metal with a hole in the middle.

Agree... Anyone has done this on any housing...?
It looks very simple though..

$30 is too much for a housing weight.... Halcyon V-weight is cheaper than that....

Agreed, $30 is too much. I found it for about $25 including shipping but that is still high. However, it is stainless steel, it is well made, and it works. If you are handy wil st. st. you could make it yourself, but I'm not and I didn't want to risk damaging my WP-case. I also like that I can take it off if letting the kid snorkle or swim with it. If he drops it, it floats.

Halcyon v-weight? That fits a Canon WP case??

Willar:
Agreed, $30 is too much. I found it for about $25 including shipping but that is still high. However, it is stainless steel, it is well made, and it works. If you are handy wil st. st. you could make it yourself, but I'm not and I didn't want to risk damaging my WP-case. I also like that I can take it off if letting the kid snorkle or swim with it. If he drops it, it floats.

Halcyon v-weight? That fits a Canon WP case??

Where is it being sold at $25?

No... I meant that 8~11lb Halcyon weight is almost same price, so Canon weight is too much pricey with just SS metal sheet...

Hoosier:
So, Canon housing can take a wideangle lens? If then, what lens?

Thanks for your expertise....

Is this item qualified for 150% price match policy as you advertised?

Get yourself an INON AD mount base for your Canon housing, then you can wet swap Inon lenses. To date there are three lenses that work quite well (well 4 actually) The lenses are;

UWL 105AD (Wide angle)
UCL 165AD (Stackable Macro Lense) [stack two for optimum super macro work]
UFL 165AD (Fisheye)

The great thiong about these lenses is that they are all "wet swapable". Realy cool for when that great macro shot comes along while your doing coral/fish WAL work.

BTW Once you add the AD mount and a lense the camera goes negative and wil sink like a rock, so best to use some sort of safety lanyard for those "over the deep blue" dives.

As to stobes issues, I would suggest a Inon Z-240 or Sea and Sea YS-110 for those UW photographers planning on eventually moving on to DSLR as these two strobes can be fired both in "optical slave" and TTL cable modes. If you will only ever use your Canon P&S, then go with something like the Inon D-2000; it has all of the features that an P&S camera will need (including a targeting/modeling light), can be optically slave fired, but does not support TTL/cable firing.

Happy snapping.

P.S.

Just so you know;

I use;

Canon Powershot A80
WP-DC900 Canon Housing
Inon AD Mount
Inon Lenses (the very ones I listed earlier)
Inon DII Grip
Fantasea Strobes Arms
Sea and Sea YS-110 strobe.

Willar:
It is very usable without the weights but I found it mildly annoying. If you let go of the camera it would definitely float to the surface but not zoom away. This could be considered a good thing, I guess.

For seawater my camera takes 2 weights be be very slightly negative which is what I prefer. Remember that it will be LESS bouyant in the pool and MORE bouyant in seawater. Yes, you could use any tripod screw mount and some other steel for weighting, but it would rust quickly if used in seawater.

Don't panick about it. The camera is still very usable without the weights.

I have the exact same setup. If I put the lanyard around my wrist without any weight, it floats up and tends to get wrapped up in my hoses so when I would pull my arm in to take a shot, I would have to untangle it a bit. With two weights it is definitely negative. Next up is to try it with just one and see if only slightly positive is the way I like it.

Storm:
Get yourself an INON AD mount base for your Canon housing, then you can wet swap Inon lenses. To date there are three lenses that work quite well (well 4 actually) The lenses are;

UWL 105AD (Wide angle)
UCL 165AD (Stackable Macro Lense) [stack two for optimum super macro work]
UFL 165AD (Fisheye)

The great thiong about these lenses is that they are all "wet swapable". Realy cool for when that great macro shot comes along while your doing coral/fish WAL work.

BTW Once you add the AD mount and a lense the camera goes negative and wil sink like a rock, so best to use some sort of safety lanyard for those "over the deep blue" dives.

As to stobes issues, I would suggest a Inon Z-240 or Sea and Sea YS-110 for those UW photographers planning on eventually moving on to DSLR as these two strobes can be fired both in "optical slave" and TTL cable modes. If you will only ever use your Canon P&S, then go with something like the Inon D-2000; it has all of the features that an P&S camera will need (including a targeting/modeling light), can be optically slave fired, but does not support TTL/cable firing.

Happy snapping.

P.S.

Just so you know;

I use;

Canon Powershot A80
WP-DC900 Canon Housing
Inon AD Mount
Inon Lenses (the very ones I listed earlier)
Inon DII Grip
Fantasea Strobes Arms
Sea and Sea YS-110 strobe.

Thanks Storm... That is exactly what I am looking for...

Here is what I found:

AD Series Bayonet Lens Mount – “AD Mount Base DC12”
The AD Mount Base DC12 enables attachment of wet-mountable UFL-165AD Fisheye, UWL-105AD Wide-angle and UCL-165AD Close-up conversion lenses.
All AD Series lenses can be attached and removed underwater, allowing proper lens choice depending on subject. The lenses can be attached to the strobe arms with “AD Lens Holders” when not in use.

Inon Strobe Connection - "Optical D Cable/Cap W36 Set"
The AD Mount Base has an attachment point for an Inon “Optical D Cable/Cap W36 Set” fiber optic kit, allowing connection of Inon Z-240, Z-220, Z-220S, D-2000, D-2000Wn, D-2000W, D-2000 & D-2000S strobes. Grip Options
From the AD Mount Base, mount single or double Grip Base D2 or Grip Base D3. The Grip Base D2 is a good choice for the left hand. The Grip Base D3 is width adjustable to fit your hand between housing and grip, even with thick gloves.

gfx_01746.jpg

• WP-DC12 Housing Configuration Example
  • Canon PowerShot A570 IS camera + Canon WP-DC12 housing
  • AD Mount Base DC12
  • UFL-165 Underwater Fisheye Conversion Lens
  • D-2000 Strobe
  • -0.5 Blue Diffuser (External Auto)
  • Optical D Cable/Cap W36 Set with Clear Photo Film
  • Grip Base D2
  • AD Lens Holder + UCL-165AD Close-up Lens
  • Arm S Set Z
For further information contact Inon America or an Inon America Authorized Dealer.
INON America, Inc.
6445 Ithaca Lane North
Maple Grove, MN 55311 USA
Tel 763-559-1212
Fax 763-559-5236
URL: www.inonamerica.com
Email: info@inonamerica.com
Copyrights © 2001-2007 INON America Inc., All rights reserved.

Hoosier:
Thanks Storm... That is exactly what I am looking for...

Here is what I found:

AD Series Bayonet Lens Mount – “AD Mount Base DC12”
The AD Mount Base DC12 enables attachment of wet-mountable UFL-165AD Fisheye, UWL-105AD Wide-angle and UCL-165AD Close-up conversion lenses.
All AD Series lenses can be attached and removed underwater, allowing proper lens choice depending on subject. The lenses can be attached to the strobe arms with “AD Lens Holders” when not in use.

Inon Strobe Connection - "Optical D Cable/Cap W36 Set"
The AD Mount Base has an attachment point for an Inon “Optical D Cable/Cap W36 Set” fiber optic kit, allowing connection of Inon Z-240, Z-220, Z-220S, D-2000, D-2000Wn, D-2000W, D-2000 & D-2000S strobes. Grip Options
From the AD Mount Base, mount single or double Grip Base D2 or Grip Base D3. The Grip Base D2 is a good choice for the left hand. The Grip Base D3 is width adjustable to fit your hand between housing and grip, even with thick gloves.

gfx_01746.jpg

• WP-DC12 Housing Configuration Example
  • Canon PowerShot A570 IS camera + Canon WP-DC12 housing
  • AD Mount Base DC12
  • UFL-165 Underwater Fisheye Conversion Lens
  • D-2000 Strobe
  • -0.5 Blue Diffuser (External Auto)
  • Optical D Cable/Cap W36 Set with Clear Photo Film
  • Grip Base D2
  • AD Lens Holder + UCL-165AD Close-up Lens
  • Arm S Set Z
For further information contact Inon America or an Inon America Authorized Dealer.
INON America, Inc.
6445 Ithaca Lane North
Maple Grove, MN 55311 USA
Tel 763-559-1212
Fax 763-559-5236
URL: www.inonamerica.com
Email: info@inonamerica.com
Copyrights © 2001-2007 INON America Inc., All rights reserved.

The rig pictured is close to what I'm using, and a good example of how to "deck out" a good P&S. Personally I would route that optical cable through the grip/tray and stobe arm to keep it out of the way, would add the WAL, and use the WAL as my "default" lense, but other than that you can get some fantastic and very professional looking images with that rig.:D

PS The arm set up is a bit short for my liking. I dive in green and murky water have just learned (from some of the UW shutterbigs up here) that the longer arms are necessary to get the strobe out and away from the lense to help reduce backscatter. One of the "gurus" up here uses dual strobes with each strobe on a four foot arm.:11:

His shots are absolutley beautiful.

Hoosier:
Agree... Anyone has done this on any housing...?
It looks very simple though..

$30 is too much for a housing weight.... Halcyon V-weight is cheaper than that....

I happen to have the same A570is/DC12 setup. I hope the pics upload...

My counterweight is a 1/4-20 screw that's 1" long (this is the screw size for all tripods) and 14 quarter-inch fender washers. The quarter is for tightening the screw onto the housing and the butterfly nut keeps the assembly together when I use the housing without the weight.

This stuff costs about $2 including the quarter and you can get it *NOW* at Home Depot.

Cheers

Attachments

• DC-12 Pelican 1200.jpg
    DC-12 Pelican 1200.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 228
  • DC12 Screw.jpg
    DC12 Screw.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 225
  • Closeup 2.jpg
    Closeup 2.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 224
  • Closeup 1.jpg