Canon Housings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Willar:
TIP: If buying the Canon WP case to use without a strobe, be sure to buy the Canon weight kit. The WP case for the A570is needs 2 weights to be very slightly negative, somewhat buoyant with 1 weight, or very buoyant with no weights which is annoying.
Hmmm. I have the Canon A620, which I have not yet used underwater. Have a brand new Canon WP-D90 (I think, it's not handy), the Canon case for the camera. Haven't gotten it wet yet, but am planning an hour of pool time tomorrow night to get acquainted with it.

Based on the recommendations from another person who had this camera and case, I decided to skip the weights - he said the weights were really not important, that without them the case would be only slightly boyant. Sounds like your experience was different?

I guess I'll find out in about 24 hours (although not terribly deep, in the pool).

We leave in about a week and a half for a trip so I suppose it would be possible to get the weights overnighted in time...hmmm....just how big a PITA would you say it is without he weights?

nwflyboy:
Hmmm. I have the Canon A620, which I have not yet used underwater. Have a brand new Canon WP-D90 (I think, it's not handy), the Canon case for the camera. Haven't gotten it wet yet, but am planning an hour of pool time tomorrow night to get acquainted with it.

Based on the recommendations from another person who had this camera and case, I decided to skip the weights - he said the weights were really not important, that without them the case would be only slightly boyant. Sounds like your experience was different?

I guess I'll find out in about 24 hours (although not terribly deep, in the pool).

We leave in about a week and a half for a trip so I suppose it would be possible to get the weights overnighted in time...hmmm....just how big a PITA would you say it is without he weights?
Any floaty camera is a PITA, unless you keep it in your hands at all times. If you let go, even slightly buoyant means it's always trying to float up. Depending on where you have it clipped off, that means it's never in a consistent place, or it's always floating into your face.

If you can get a standard tripod screw from somewhere, however, you can probably screw something else to the bottom of the case to weight it rather than spending $30+ for Canon's little pieces of metal with a hole in the middle.

It is very usable without the weights but I found it mildly annoying. If you let go of the camera it would definitely float to the surface but not zoom away. This could be considered a good thing, I guess.

For seawater my camera takes 2 weights be be very slightly negative which is what I prefer. Remember that it will be LESS bouyant in the pool and MORE bouyant in seawater. Yes, you could use any tripod screw mount and some other steel for weighting, but it would rust quickly if used in seawater.

Don't panick about it. The camera is still very usable without the weights.

Canon WP-DC12 Underwater Housing

For the A570 IS Digital camera
Full function camera capabilities
DEPTH RATING: 130 feet
http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-535...-Underwater-Housing-For-Powershot-A570is.html

Sealife Digital Strobe

Universal Underwater Flash for all digital cameras
Enhances color and brightness
Flexible arm allows for easy aiming at any angle
Rubberized arm provides a sure grip