Olympus c-4000 vs. c-4040

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ronsch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Okay you camera buffs. I know from reading here that there are a lot of c-4040 owners and some c-4000 owners. What are drawbacks to the c-4000 regarding UW photography given that it lists for a couple hundred dollars less than the 4040?

There are several things that a different enough to make the 4040 the preferred choice...even if it is discontinued. If you'll do a comparison on from Steve's Digicam, you'll see the differences. One of the major ones is there is no LED screen on top of the camera, you have to use the LCD monitor. That doesn't sound like a big thing but the top screen is much easier to read.

Another is the material used for the body. In the 4000, it's more of a plastic feel. In the 4040, it's a metal finish of some sort. Side by side you can definately see the difference in quality. I, of course, used the technical descriptions!

Check these out....

C-4000 Review

C-4040 Review

and a brighter lens (f1.8) and larger memory buffer....

ReyeR once bubbled...
and a brighter lens (f1.8) and larger memory buffer....

I could I forget those! The very reason I chose the 4040 in the first place.

Thanks very much! Here is a picture from the Bonaire town pier from a week ago.

andrea31419 once bubbled...

What is the LED screen?

Andrea

It's a small window/screen on the top of the camera that shows you the settings being used. Such as flash on/off, which macro you're using, how many exposures left on your card, etc.

Gotcha Dee, thanks.

One more questions for anyone who may know the answer. I've read the details on Steves Digicams, and I didn't see where it specified about the sound in Movie Mode. Does the C4000 have sound in Movie Mode? I believe the C4040 does, but am not sure about the C4000.

Andrea

C4000: "this mode allows you to capture movies without sound for up to 33 seconds in high-quality mode, or 148 seconds in low-quality mode"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom