Tonka97's Five Scenarios for John Chatterton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Five questions asked, five questions answered. Unless there's specific rebuttal to JC's responses, I think it's time for Tonka to put down his shotgun, pick up his sword and slay a dragon closer to his gaming level.

Originally Posted by Scubastud16
I have yet to read Gentile's book. I downed "The Last Dive" in about 2 days. "Shadow Divers" was done in about 3. Next up was "Deep Descent," and that one took a little longer. Maybe 5. I'm currently on "Diver Down."

I loved Shadow Divers. What a great book. I don't really want to pick up Gentile's book because of what so many have said about his sour grapes attitude. I know I will pick it up one day, I just don't know when that will be.

Why not go diving instead of reading books. Much more fun.

Tonka:
How did U869 meet its demise?

Who took credit for locating diver, Mark Ruggiero, on the Texas Tower... who actually located his body?

Who actually went to Germany with Chatterton to meet with Horst Bredow in 1991? Hint: it wasn't Kohler.

Which divers, unmentioned in Shadow Divers, accompanied Chatterton and Kohler on the U869 tag recovery dive?

Why was Chatterton's tag recovery dive converted into an out-of-air and entanglement crisis, when the facts don't jibe with the narrative.

Tonka...Don't you think you are getting a little bit petty here.
The issue about how the 869 sank has been covered over and over. Gary has absolutely no definitive proof, as he states he does, about the reason for the sinking was due to depth charges. IMHO I believe the circle run theory simply because of the drawing of the wreck and where the damage is...and that damage is catastrophic...not something that looks like a depth charge. again IMHO...But again...John has already addressed this.

The rest of the stuff to me is very, very petty.

I actually wrote notes in the margins of SDE and when I decided to read it I did so with an open mind. And I did have some problems with whether or not Gary was right in some of his charges. The thing that completely turned the tables on my feelings about some of the problems I had was #1...Gary doesn't have anyone in the book who is quoted backing him up and #2...The chapter on his Interview Techniques smacks of bullying...But I told myself...If I read SDE then I am going to do it with an open mind...and I did.
Maybe you should take a look at things with a more open mind also...Just a suggestion....

And I think this crowd is pretty forgiving...You have to admit that almost everyone...if not everyone...feels you have been unfair in the way you have presented your assertions. If you will simply admit, and I feel, apologize about the way you have presented yourself in these discussions then I think you would be regarded in a better light...just my opinion. Do you think everyone is against your right to your assertions...I doubt it. It is your method and disrespect I feel is at issue here.

And if for no one but him...I simply feel you do owe John an apology if only for the vehemence in the way you have presented your charges. I support your entitlement to your opinions but you could have presented them in a much more respectful way. Again...Look at things with an open mind in considering that everyone feels you have been very disrespectful. Please open your mind this once...

This is a morbid curiosity question. If you don't want to answer it, feel free not to.

Chowdhury's account and Kurson's account of what happend with the CG evac of the Rouses are fairly different.

Will you set the story straight?

Sure. What is described in Shadow Divers is what happened. Bernie got it wrong. Bernie only interviewed me briefly for the book. It was about the Rouses, and I was not exceptionally close with them. Bernie extensively interviewed other divers on the boat. The account he used came from these divers, who apparently misunderstood what was being said between the USCG Rescue Swimmer and myself. Believe me, there was a lot going on including a helicopter overhead. Simply atated, I wanted them to take the son and leave the father for dead. We had been doing CPR on the father for over two hours and he was totally unresponsive. Chris Sr could only be pronounced dead by a doctor, not a dive boat captain, or rescue personel. He had to take both the father and son. I understood his position, even though I disagreed with it. The Swimmer wonthe arguement, I lost.

The conversation was misinterpreted by others on the boat. Bernie admitted at one time that he "dropped the ball" with regards to the Swimmer, then he recanted and mentioned that he had the audio tapes of my interview? I said fine, give them to me or have them transcribed and I will pay for them. Now he is unable to find them. Now you know what I know.

Cheers

One little snippet that Mr. Gentile uses to discredit the circular run hypothesis is the damage to the top of the sub...I think near the bow...not sure...If the sub was sunk by its own torpedo then there is a good possibility that in depth charging a dead target the damage could have been done by a depth charge subsequent to the 869's demise....

Aft Torped Room, and I agree.

John,
Welcome to Scuba Board, the VAST majority of us are delighted to see you here. You showed an amazing amount of patience in your replies, way more than I would have been inclined to. Please do not let the antics of one or a few individuals discourage you from visiting!

Tom

Thanks for the nice feedback, and I am not discouraged.

Cheers

Since John has been so gracious as to join our forum, don't you all think that it would be cool to get out of this little circle of accusations and defense, and talk about some other interesting stuff?

Obviously, that would be appropriate in another thread.

For example, in one of the DSD episodes, John and Ritchie were to dive some cenotes in Mexico. John's rebreather had a malfunction, so he didn't do the dive.

So, my question is: John were you able to enjoy some cenote dives on a rebreather, later in the trip? My experiences in Cenotes are completely on OC, but I was still completely consumed by the clarity of the water. The sensation of flying as if in air, is stymied a bit by looking over at my buddy and seeing exhaust bubbles.
Whats it like on a CCR?

John, you obviously have a great gig and must thoroughly enjoy it. If you ever decide to dive Catalina Island, CA, let me (and others) know. My lovely bride and I would love to meet and dive with you.
Thanks for posting here, it is a great place and getting better all the time.

This has been one of the most enjoyable threads ive ever read on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom