Lessons for solo diving novice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steve0729

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am an inexperienced diver (17 dives in my log book) looking to get several dives in this spring/summer, and I am thinking of trying solo diving. I have a problem finding dive buddies, and often the dives I get planned fall thru because my buddy has to cancel. And frankly, my buddies don't always want to practice the skills, such as clearing your mask or practicing buoyancy control.

I have read on ScubaBoard about solo diving. I would consider diving solo only under the following conditions; 1) only in the local dive parks (flooded quaries) where there is no currents, boats, or waves, 2) manage my dive profiles so I can always drop weights and surface without worry, 3) stay at 40 feet or less so the surface is always close, 4) use the checklists in the dive manuals when I gear up, 4) Never, ever be timid about aborting a dive for the smallest reason.

Am I leaving anything out? Are there safety procedures that I should consider?

I will be using rental regs and BC, and don’t own a pony bottle, which I know many solo divers consider vital. Should I invest in a pony even though my solo diving will be in shallow water? Or would a better investment be my own regs?

My take ... you shouldn't even be considering solo diving with 17 dives in your log book. There's just too many things you don't know yet that will require bottom time to develop sufficient context to understand. Some of the questions you ask raise serious alarms in terms of your lack of preparedness for solo diving.

That said ... I firmly believe that the "just say no" approach never works. So here's some info for you to consider ... from an article I wrote a few months back for my local dive club ...

Oh, Solo … Me? Oh!
by Bob Bailey

Last week I received an e-mail from a friend who wanted an instructor’s perspective on solo diving. He asked “How do I determine if I’m ready for solo diving”? It’s a good question, but difficult to answer … especially for an instructor representing a training agency that mandates diving with a buddy. But I gave it some thought, and I’d like to use this month’s column to share some of those thoughts with you.

All of us were trained to dive with a buddy. Virtually all of the training agencies hold to the premise that it’s just safer, and therefore something we should do. And because diving is mostly a social activity, it’s usually more fun to dive with someone you can share your underwater experiences with. But more and more people are looking at going solo as an alternative approach to diving. For some it holds a particular attraction … either for specific activities like spear fishing or photography, or simply because it allows a degree of freedom that one cannot attain by diving with a buddy. Whatever the reasons, the decision to dive solo should not be made lightly. As with my friend, you should ask yourself whether you’re ready. And you should carefully consider the risks, skills, training, and equipment you would need to go it alone.

Why Solo?

The logical first step would be to ask yourself why you want to dive solo. Perhaps it’s because you’ve had a bad experience with a buddy, or you are having trouble finding dive buddies. Is solo diving really the right response to that issue? Or perhaps you have a schedule that makes it difficult to find dive buddies when you’re available to dive. Whatever the reason, it’s important to assess whether or not solo diving is really the right approach.

Am I Ready?

Solo diving is very much about making an honest assessment of both your skills and your mental strengths and weaknesses.
  • Can you function with your mask off or flooded?
  • Can you doff and don your BCD underwater?
  • Can you recognize the onset of stress, or the beginnings of a panic cycle, and take steps to stay in control of yourself?
  • Would you know what to do if you were bent or injured and alone?

When you’re solo diving, you won’t have another diver to help you out of any difficult or unexpected situations, so you need to plan accordingly and be able to respond to any emergency in a calm and rational manner. The mantra Stop, Breathe, Think, and Act is far more important when solo than when you’re diving with a buddy. You have to be able to anticipate the risks, be extra vigilant to avoid them, and be methodical to resolve the ones you can’t avoid.

What Skills Do I Need?

First and foremost, you need to be very comfortable with your basic diving skills … you should have good buoyancy control, be able to function with a flooded (or lost) mask, and be able to recover a lost regulator.

Dive planning becomes crucial. Predive preparations need to be made with more emphasis on risk-avoidance. During the dive, it is crucial to maintain an awareness of where you are, and stick to your dive plan. After the dive, guess what? You’re still alone. Make sure you’ve thought through how to safely end the dive and exit the water. This is particularly important if you’re diving from a boat or in surf because there isn’t anyone available to help you.

Good gas management skills are essential. Never plan on your redundant air source as part of your gas supply … it’s there strictly for emergencies. You also need to account for the fact that it may take you longer to solve a problem than it would with a buddy, and plan your gas reserves accordingly.

You should be able to comfortably remove and replace your gear underwater … because in the event of an entanglement there won’t be anyone around to help you. And finally, you should be comfortable with your ability to do a controlled emergency swimming ascent (CESA). Because if all else fails, you may have to abandon your rig and swim for the surface.

How Much Redundancy Is Enough?

The primary logic behind diving with a buddy is so that if some piece of equipment fails, you have your dive buddy there to assist you. Dive buddies provide each other with redundancy … if a piece of equipment fails you can still end the dive safely. When solo diving, you have to bring your redundancy with you. At a minimum, this means a completely independent source of air … such as double cylinders or a pony bottle. A second cutting device is also something you should take with you. EMT shears are highly recommended in addition to a standard dive knife. At least one of your cutting devices should be attached to a lanyard, so that if necessary you can attach it to your wrist to avoid accidentally dropping it. Another important consideration is a spare mask, so that you do not lose your sight if something happens to the one you’re wearing. Less fundamental, but also important will be some sort of signaling device, such as a deployable surface marker buoy and a reel or spool, as well as a Dive Alert or other audible device. Of course, you should be proficient in the proper use of all of your gear.

And remember that redundant gear doesn’t include the extra brain of a dive buddy. You need to always keep your mind focused and alert.

OK, So Am I Good To Go?

As with any aspect of diving, proper training is important. At least one agency currently offers a solo diving class for recreational divers. It may also be possible to get training through the judicious choice of a diving mentor … someone who has the experience and is willing to work with you to assure that you have the requisite skills to dive solo.

And there are some “Rules of Thumb” that can be applied to solo diving:
  • Distribute your weights in such a way that both you and your rig can be independent of each other. In other words, if using an integrated BCD, consider putting some of your weights in a harness or weight belt that you wear. Remember, if you have to remove the BCD underwater you want to be able to maintain control of both yourself and your doffed rig without one sinking while the other tries to rocket to the surface.
  • Manage stress and anxiety by maintaining an awareness of your pulse and breathing rate. Be on the alert for signs of narcosis or any other condition that would lead to distorted thinking. And adopt stricter criteria for when it’s time to consider aborting the dive.
  • Dive at sites you are familiar with. Avoid sites with known entanglement hazards, currents, or other risks that may become unmanageable without help.
  • Always let someone know where you will be diving, when you expect to be done, and what to do if you are overdue. It’s always a good idea to contact that person as soon as you have safely exited the water.

And finally, recognize that there are quite a few things that no amount of gear will help you with, such as injuries or medical problems. So put some thought into what you would do in an emergency. Use good judgment to conduct your dive in a way that minimizes risks. In other words, a solo dive isn’t a good time to push your limits or try something new.

I am also new to diving. However, I have thought about the niche of solo diving and have found this parallel - every time you dive you take the chance that you may have to play Russian Roulette. Hear me out. Granted, the odds are pretty low that you will even have to pick up the gun in the first place, since the vast majority of dives go off without a hitch. But if something does go wrong, you have 5 chances to make it - regular ascent, alternate ascent, CESA, buddy breathing, and boyant ascent. If all 5 of these fail, game over. Like Russian Roulette - you have 5 empty chambers and if your luck and training don't come through, the 1 loaded chamber will get you..

When solo diving, we can pretty much remove regular ascent as a possible solution, because if you are alone and you ascend regularly, there really wasn't a problem anyway. We can also remove alternate ascent and buddy breathing, since you won't have a buddy. As far as I am concerned, we can just leave boyant ascent out as well, because no matter what you are going to induce injury, and it is entirely likely that you will die on the surface before anyone else knows what is happenning.

Which leaves you with 1 possible solution in the case of a real emergency - CESA. Now instead of having 5 chambers of the the gun clear, you only have 1.

So, you are ready to solo dive when you are ready to accept the fact that if something goes wrong, you will be playing Russian Roulette with a gun that has 5 bullets and 1 empty chamber.

I am not making judgements, but if you should always have a realistic view of the risks.

NWGD has some good stuff there to consider. I wold agree that 17 dives doesn't even come close to making you ready to solo dive. A suggestion that I would make is to seek out other buddies. If you want to solo dive because you are not comfortable with your buddies, I'd say you need to remedy the buddy situation, not just jump to solo diving. Solo diving is some SERIOUS stuff.

I am an inexperienced diver (17 dives in my log book) looking to get several dives in this spring/summer, and I am thinking of trying solo diving. I have a problem finding dive buddies, and often the dives I get planned fall thru because my buddy has to cancel. And frankly, my buddies don't always want to practice the skills, such as clearing your mask or practicing buoyancy control.

You're not ready for solo diving, except mayb in a swimming pool.

I have read on ScubaBoard about solo diving. I would consider diving solo only under the following conditions; 1) only in the local dive parks (flooded quaries) where there is no currents, boats, or waves, 2) manage my dive profiles so I can always drop weights and surface without worry, 3) stay at 40 feet or less so the surface is always close, 4) use the checklists in the dive manuals when I gear up, 4) Never, ever be timid about aborting a dive for the smallest reason.

Am I leaving anything out? Are there safety procedures that I should consider?

I will be using rental regs and BC, and don’t own a pony bottle, which I know many solo divers consider vital. Should I invest in a pony even though my solo diving will be in shallow water? Or would a better investment be my own regs?

I'd concentrate on finding a dependable dive buddy first.

Let me make sure I'm understanding you here....

You want to solo dive with only 17 dives, no air redundancy, single first stage, and use regulators that you have no idea what their service history is?

Let me ask you this...Do YOU feel you should be solo diving? I'm never going to attempt to encourage or discourage solo diving, but I'll ask you the obvious questions and let you think about it for yourself.

I am an inexperienced diver (17 dives in my log book) looking to get several dives in this spring/summer, and I am thinking of trying solo diving. I have a problem finding dive buddies, and often the dives I get planned fall thru because my buddy has to cancel. And frankly, my buddies don't always want to practice the skills, such as clearing your mask or practicing buoyancy control

What you need is more good dive buddies, solo diving is not what is right for you at this point regardless of self imposed contraints.

Here are some ideas on getting buddies.

Belive me, I know what it's like to be longing for a dive and have no takers on the invitatition or to be crushed by a last muinite cancellation. Many times I have found skin-diving to be a suitable substitute and it can do wonders for your scuba abilities.

Pete

Doing any sort of diving without redundancy is lunacy. Solo diving with none is just a sign of extreme stupidity.

Doing any sort of diving without redundancy is lunacy. Solo diving with none is just a sign of extreme stupidity.

This is an extreme statement, nothing personal. Many experienced divers would not agree with that statement who have been doing this (solo) a long time. This redundancy thing is getting out of control and is a result of everybody playing tech diver and extrapolating from non-experience and on unlikely scenarios.

That said, 17 dives seems a bit premature but then I must admit, stupid or not, I did my first solo dives when I was in my early teens on the sly and never looked back so stupid or not I am still here and usually did and still do dive without any redundancy but for the surface above.

I suggest, if the OP insists, that he start even more conservative than his stated limits, very shallow and controlled circumstances under only the best conditions using good equipment of known history.

I have always thought diving in a quarry is about equal to a swimming pool minus the chlorine. There is one conditional thing, laugh or not, I am a water person or at least I once was, that means I grew up around water, as a child we swam like fish and we were equally at home in the water as those fish. Many people think they can swim, they cannot. I suggest anybody becoming a solo diver be a strong swimmer able to self rescue yourself and at home in the water such that you have no fear of it nor tendency to panic in or under the water. The time will come when solo that you will not be laughing at what I just said, it has for me several times. You can talk the talk easy when you are with a group but when you are on your own and things go wrong, you better be able to back the talk up with substance or that dive will be your last dive.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom