Hollis HD100 or BP/W??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrsea718

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Been seriously thinking about upgrading my BCD. Most of my buddies use a bp/w setup. I was looking at a few BC's and the Hollis HD100 caught my eye.Anyone have any feedback on this item? If I were to go with the BP/W are there any recomendations? Mostly dive NY/NJ waters. At the moment I dive wet, but that is going to change as well. I dive Al-80's mostly w/ pony. Most dives are less than 100ft. Any info/insight is greatly appreciated.

I have not used the Hollis so can really say anything either way about it. It looks nice and look like Diverite transPac. But if you dive with a Pony a (30-40) I can only guess it would be easier with a BP/W. But if you like Hollis I would think the ATS BCD would be better suited.

I dive the the Halcyon Eclipse and Love it. So does My girlfriend and a few of our friends. So If you looking for something nice and that works great thats it. If your lookin on the less expensive route go with Hog/OMS or any number of those

10-Eclipse-System_c200.jpg

If you interested in Trying it out Halcyon will be having a Demo Day end of July at Dutch Springs.

Other benefit of a Bp/w is you only need one BCD and an extra wing to go doubles. I have my eclipse all fitted to me. If and when I want to dive doubles just a quick switch of the wing and I am done.

Last edited:
mrsea,

I have both a BP/W and the Hollis ATS. I looked at the Hollis HD100, but didn't like the fit for me. I tried the ATS and really like it. I find myself using the ATS more and more often verses my BP/W setup. I switched the tank straps to Stainless Steel Cam Latch Tank Strap. It has a ton of rings, two dumps, a crotch strap and well built. I find it to be streamline in the water. With the crotch strap, it feels like it is glued to your body and I get zero tank roll.

The dump pockets took a bit to get use to, but if you insert them all the way into the pocket before putting the Velcro down, there is no issues.

I have decided to set up the BP/W for doubles and use the ATS for all my singles dives.

Hi

Our instructor and head dive master dives in a HD 100.

He loves it. Hasn't got a complaint.

They make great stuff.

Hollis Industries manufacture all of Oceanic's gear as well.

I have an Oceanic "Hera" which is fantastic. Couldn't ask for anything different.

First off we are big fans of BP & W setups, #1 system in our shop!!

Overall we are not too far from Brooklyn. We are open on weekends, come on in and do a test dive in our indoor heated pool! Feel free to contact me and we can talk in more detail. We have a lot of divers come to us from NYC because of our facility.

The Hollis HD100 is a decent rig, but as a Northeast diver, the biggest question you have to ask yourself is: will it 'grow' with you (that is, will it still be a servicable rig as your local diving experience increases)? If you're happy sticking with an Al80 and a pony, then the Hollis is a decent buy. But if you see yourself eventually going into doubles like many Northeast wreck divers, then a plate will be a better bet in the long run. No point buying two big-ticket items when you can just buy one, right?

There's no end to the combinations of plates, harnesses and wings available in the market. Myself, I'm a fan of Deep Sea Supply's plates, and their wings are pretty sweet, too. Dive Rite, Oxycheq, Halcyon and Hollis are also great manufacturers to consider. If you haven't already, round up a couple of buddies and take a road trip to Northeast Scuba Supply in PA to see everything in the flesh: Crazy John (the owner) carries just about every brand under the sun, and he's amazing to talk to, too. Try to resist the temptation not to buy everything in the shop (I dare you).

Back
Top Bottom