First BC purchase (BP/W) Help Wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hydrogen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Long story short:

I'm new to diving but getting into it for underwater archaeology. Myself and several friends are going on a 6 week underwater archaeology field school in October 2011. Ive started my Basic OW and should dive in 2 weeks, then ill be doing my Advanced OW and then advanced nitrox and decompression procedures.

After weeks of research on forums (only joined yesterday though) ,talking to a few local dive shops and talking to some archaeologists (here at my school and the people who run the field school) I've decided to go with a BP/W.

What im looking for is a BP/W that I can use single or double tanks on and doesn't break the bank. This is going to be the second highest $$ value piece of gear I have to buy besides my drysuit. I'm looking to spend about 500 bones. If i need a separate backplate for doubles than that doesn't need to to be factored into the cost as I wont be diving doubles from the start.

Thanks All, I found way more information on these forums than anywhere else!

I do not wish to start a Jacket/Vest VS BP/W debate, I've already read hundreds.

Personally I like the Halcyon Systems. But (DSS-Hollis-Diverite-HOG) are also very good set-ups. You wouldn't need a second backplate but you would need a serperate wing for doubles. There are people that dive both with one wing but I would not recomend it as you can get yourself in trouble. It's possible for the bigger wing to wrap around a single tank and not be able to get air out and cause a rapid ascent. If the wing is too small you risk the chance of not being able to get yourself or gear to the surface.

Most will get one system, 2 wings. I have the Eclipse System. When diving doubles you simply change out wings. Just unbolt back plate and switch to doubles set-up. But Halcyon will most likely be the most expensive option. If your looking for a cheaper set-up look into HOG (CHeaper by price not quality) Same with DSS etc...

BC Systems | Halcyon Dive Systems

10-Eclipse-System_c200.jpg

10-evolve-System_c200.jpg

I ended up getting a Deep Sea Supply (DSS) rig in December and have been happy with it.
https://www.deepseasupply.com//
They have a manufacturers forum on scubaboard where you can ask Tobin questions.

Halcyon will probably set you back more than $500, unless you find a good deal on a used rig. The only company I would stay away from is Golem Gear. I had a less than pleasant experience with them before I bought the DSS wing.

Long story short:

I'm new to diving but getting into it for underwater archaeology. Myself and several friends are going on a 6 week underwater archaeology field school in October 2011. Ive started my Basic OW and should dive in 2 weeks, then ill be doing my Advanced OW and then advanced nitrox and decompression procedures.

After weeks of research on forums (only joined yesterday though) ,talking to a few local dive shops and talking to some archaeologists (here at my school and the people who run the field school) I've decided to go with a BP/W.

What im looking for is a BP/W that I can use single or double tanks on and doesn't break the bank. This is going to be the second highest $$ value piece of gear I have to buy besides my drysuit. I'm looking to spend about 500 bones. If i need a separate backplate for doubles than that doesn't need to to be factored into the cost as I wont be diving doubles from the start.

Thanks All, I found way more information on these forums than anywhere else!

I do not wish to start a Jacket/Vest VS BP/W debate, I've already read hundreds.

You are planning on going from basic open water to advanced nitrox and deco procedures in a matter of weeks and you are concerned with spending more than $500 on a piece of gear?

You are planning on going from basic open water to advanced nitrox and deco procedures in a matter of weeks and you are concerned with spending more than $500 on a piece of gear?

7 months, im not doing them back to back. I intend to get a lot of dives in over the summer.

It's also not cheap to fly to Greece and stay for 6 weeks, and pay for the course, and be a full time university student. If I have to spend more I will, I also don't want or need the best of the best. I know its going get used, and used a lot. Im just looking for opinions on setups, thats all.

Any BP can do doubles or singles, given the proper adapter. Any wing cannot - single wings function well for singles, double wings are great for doubles, and hybrids do neither very well.

I bought this setup: BackPlate and Wing Package discounts on sale Dive Rite . It is a single tank setup. I went with the simple harness. Buy the sex bolt (one or two) as they will keep the wing from sliding during tank changes it you don't have a single tank adapter (STA). The OxyCheq wings come with built-in tank stabilizers which means that you don't need to by an STA. For diving doubles the same BP and harness will work, but you will need tank bands and a whole lot more that I am not qualified to talk about...

Do you ever offer anything of value to a discussion? Do you ever help out a new diver in a nurturing, non-condescending fashion? Do you ever offer up the same response that you have given one hundred times before to yet another newb wanting to buy their first reg, knowing that you were once in their place and that you appreciated the advice that you were given on ScubaBoard? Why are you on ScubaBoard, Wu? What part of the experience makes you feel good about yourself as a human being?

7 months, im not doing them back to back. I intend to get a lot of dives in over the summer.

It's also not cheap to fly to Greece and stay for 6 weeks, and pay for the course, and be a full time university student. If I have to spend more I will, I also don't want or need the best of the best. I know its going get used, and used a lot. Im just looking for opinions on setups, thats all.

The best is rarely the most expensive. Which is a good thing.

Best advice is to buy used and avoid anything from Halcyon.

The reason I asked was you are going to be hemorrhaging thousands and thousands of dollars to complete that degree of training and gather that amount of gear. The BC is one of the least expensive issues you will face.

If you are looking to save a little bit of cash, look at the HammerHead line of plates. They are great plates, but don't have the high degree of finish as prettier plates. They also have slots cut for single tank mounted. If you use a stabilized singles wing like the Oxyxheq Mach V, you won't have to buy a seperate single tank adapter. This is my rig for single tank diving and I am very happy with it.

I will agree with an earlier post, if you are going in adv nitrox and deco with double tanks, manifolds, doubles regs, decoc tanks, deco regs, etc, etc.... A few dollars saved on one BP/W over another isn't worth worrying about.

Dude, you can get the grouse, best of the best stuff exceptional condition
second hand

having forked out thousands, 400 bones
rather than splash thousands, 900 bones.

Back
Top Bottom