Apeks tx100 vs. scubapro 20/600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The DS4 is just another first stage offered by Apeks. It's a dry sealed, non swival first stage. What I like about them is all the LP ports are standard 3/8". The rest of their first stages have an odd 1/2" port. The 1/2" port doesn't add anything of significance to the performance, but can be a pain to deal with otherwise. Like the TX100, the DS4 doesn't have the unnecessary swival either. The DS4 is also cheaper than the other two, but without significant performance reduction.

Mike

I'll butt in here with an answer as I am a TX-100 owner....

The TX-100 uses "standard" 3/8" ports on all but the "primary" LP (regulator) port -- this one is 1/2". This can cause some issues if you are using doubles and/or switching hoses. Common sense would say you would want all your ports/hoses the same size to give you the maximum flexibility.

You can get around this by using a port adaptor...but if you are trying to buy the "optimal" system, it is a piece of complexity that can be avoided by buying the DS4 first stage.

I agree with Yooper and Large Diver.
Although I like the 200's, the first stage (DS4) is more user friendly in Tech. I think the regular first stage would be OK too. I own all of the regs mentioned. I prefer the 200 over the Scubapro MK25S600. The MK25 first stage is better for technical diving, but the ATX 200 breathes so Darn good, that it's unbelievable.

Originally posted by Divesherpa
I agree with Yooper and Large Diver.
Although I like the 200's, the first stage (DS4) is more user friendly in Tech. I think the regular first stage would be OK too. I own all of the regs mentioned. I prefer the 200 over the Scubapro MK25S600. The MK25 first stage is better for technical diving, but the ATX 200 breathes so Darn good, that it's unbelievable.

What do you mean by "the 200's"? The Apeks ATX 200? You think that one breathes better than the ScubaPro S600? Is the Zeagle Flathead VI essentially the same as the Apeks ATX 200 or some other Apeks reg?

:wink:

burnboy made the comment that scubapro regulators have a tendency to freeflow. I've heard that before a few times from other people so I was wondering, has anybody here ever had an apeks or zeagle regulator freeflow on them?

(I'm contrasting and comparing scubapro/zeagle/apeks for possible purchase myself right now.)

It is possible for an Apeks or Zeagle reg to free flow, but to answer your question, ScubaPro regs are the hands down winners when it comes to free-flowing, they do it very well and often.

Originally posted by DivingDoc

What do you mean by "the 200's"? The Apeks ATX 200? You think that one breathes better than the ScubaPro S600? Is the Zeagle Flathead VI essentially the same as the Apeks ATX 200 or some other Apeks reg?

:wink:

No the Zeagle Flathead isn't the same as the ATX200, but is more like the TX100 first stage (or at least it was).

As for the better breather between the ATX200 and the S600, I suppose a machine could tell the difference, but the relevance to a diver would be mute at best.

Mike

Virtually any reg can freeflow. With a sealed first stage like the Apeks, you are less likely to get a first stage free flow in cold water. You can still get a second stage free flow -- which I have done with my TX50, but was entirely my fault.

Up here, I've seen a lot of SP's freeze up. However, I hear SP has done some changes to some alloys or something in the guts of their first stages that is supposed to help prevent freezing of those parts. I'd just as soon not worry about it and dive with a sealed first stage.

Take care.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom