First time in BON - Summary of research

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TravelDave

Contributor
Reaction score
First time in Bonaire coming up May 17-24. Staying at Den Laman. Being a little obsessive/compulsive, I have been scouring other posts on Scubaboard for general tips about the island and what to bring. Here is my list. Anything to add?

Thanks,
Dave

• Don’t leave anything of value in your truck while diving (or otherwise). Leave windows rolled down.
  • Get Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy (already bought it)
  • At restaurants, you need to ask for your check
  • Beers are generally 8 oz. Go to Papaya Moon for 12 oz Coronas
  • Lots of mossies at night, bring bug spray
  • After night dive, just leave wetsuit on to avoid getting bitten
  • Do the Dive With the Naturalist at BDA
  • BDA stops distributing nitrox at 4:30 so grab some if doing night/dawn dives
  • BDA equipment storage doesn’t open up until 8:30am
  • Try out night dive sites first during the day
  • For groceries, go to “Warehouse” for meat and staples, go to “More for Less” for produce
  • A 2 liter bottle of water with holes drilled in the lid makes a great rinse after a dive
  • Tap water is okay to drink
  • ATMs on Bonaire don’t charge fees for withdrawals. However, check with your bank to see if they do
  • Don’t bring anything higher than a $20 bill
  • Bring hard soled booties
  • Consider doing Gibi’s barbecue at GRI

Some things to consider bringing:
    - Padlock
    - A clip or similar to hold fins during entries
    - Cheap shopping bags for gear (to avoid gear bag being stolen)
    - Coffee
    - Something waterproof to hold money/keys/etc while diving
    - Surge protector if plugging in electronics
    - Beach towel
    - Powdered Gatorade

Dave, I never use a clip for my fins and never take a surge protector (I just leave things plugged in for short periods). Another tip ... when you approach the traffic circle by Den Lamen be aware that cars entering from the north or south have the right of way NOT the vehicle in the circle. Have a great time.

Looks like a good list to me. Here may be a couple of useful items.
There is an ATM in front of Sand Dollar Resort, close to where you are staying judging by you diving with BDA
Also shop at Cultimara, usually takes 2 or 3 places to get all we need. They have an on site bakery.....gooooood !! Their meat selection is usually good as well.
Grocery bags are not free, take the gear bag to carry grocerys home in.
The Warehouse sells Amstel by the case.
Horn honking and waving, esp in the traffic circle is done with the ENTIRE hand, not a single finger. :)
Produce can also be gotten at the waterfront market.
Mangoes purchased from the waterfront market should NOT be left in a warm room with the doors closed.....unless you really really really like the smell of mangos. :)
Lovers Ice Cream is an easy walk, open to 10pm and makes a great destination for an evening stroll
Bon Bini = welcome / Bon dia = good morning / Masha danki= thank you very much, all of which should be said with a warm smile
Enjoy yourself, I will not be too far behind you.

We would rinse our gear in the dunk tanks at BDA and bring the gear back to the room. Get a free lock from the dive shop and you can put tanks in the lockers by the dock. That way you can get up at whatever time you want and get fresh tanks and your gear and go. We liked getting our first dive in before 7. I didn't like having to wait until 8:30.

BDA will do a complete orientation and will make it very easy for your diving. Internet access is at Chat 'n Browse, in the same row of small shops that Lovers Ice Cream is in. ("Mayor" Michael owns it and is supremely helpful.) Good to do your research but once you are there you'll realise why folks love it--Bonaire keeps diving fun and simple. // ww

Yep!

Have the apple pie at Payapa Moon too (it is so yummy).

Grocerie store across from warehouse had the cheapest prices on gatorade on the island while we were there. We found Cultimara to have a little better selection then most others, also having more american items. Kraft mac and chees and a pack of hot dogs made a quick lunch a couple days if you have a stove in your room. Herman was right about the Bread there at Cultimara. Check the date on milk if you are buying it. Lovers ice cream, pistacio ice cream was awesome. Get your departure tax before the day you leave to avoid long lines. We did this on a return from diving on the south side when there was no line and then put it with our passports. get to the airport a couple hours early to avoid a long and slow moving line, then go and sit in the AC and relax beofore the trip home. last but not lease take me along as a tour guide.

Here is a link to an aquapac waterproof bag that works great to keep small items dry in your bc pocket. NRS Home - Bags & Boxes - Dry Bags - Aquapac Most are listed to be good to 15', I have used them to 100'+ with not so much as a drop inside. I use mine on every dive.
-I also took some of those single packet drink mixes to put into a bottle of water. You can refill your water bottle, add a juice packet and save a lot of $$$. They are really light to pack as well. I took 3 boxes of them.
-I (was told) and found that the grocery store accross from the warehouse has the best fresh produce selection.
-I found Cultimara had the best selection of fresh meat and the butcher there was very helpful.
-I would suggest that you get local currency when you first arrive. It saves on a lot of potential issues. Some stores don't list prices in both currencies and by exchanging you don't have to calculate exchange in your head. Much easier at gas stations as well.
-When we left they required a boarding pass to pay the departure tax. We may have gotten lucky, but no line there at all.
-I took this mesh bag for gear- Mesh Bags
it worked great and I just tossed it in the bed of the pick-up with my shirt and mask bag, and they were never bothered with. If it does get taken your not out much.
-Eat at Maikys (sp?) snack and The Rose inn for local food, your missing out if you don't. The stewed goat at both places is great and it's something you just can't get everyday!

........................Get your departure tax before the day you leave to avoid long lines......................

This use to be good advise but earlier this year for whatever reason they now require a boarding pass before they will take the tax. So you must now go through the checkin line before paying the tax.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom