Bonaire trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gypsyjim

I have an alibi
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We just got back from our sixth trip to Bonaire, and our second trip this year. We had to go back to the island just to find summer weather, as July here in upstate New York was both the wetest (10+ inches) and coolest July on record.

This time we stayed in a Light House Beach condo south of the airport, and did shore packages threw Buddy Dive again. We liked the guys at Den Lamen, who are always very helpful, as are the folks we've met at Wanna Dive, but the 24 hr access to tanks and gear room at Buddy Dive seal the deal for me. I like night dives and pre dawn dives, so being able to grab a tank without planning way ahead, for a quick dive is a big selling point for me.

We did a lot of our dives on Bari Reef, day, night and predawn. My two nephews completed their PADI OW certification dives there at Buddy on Sun and Mon, so we hung with my brother's crew there a lot. Bari Reef is still one of the liveliest reefs, with so much to see, and I love diving one reef at all hours, to watch the changes (day to night and then night into day) that the reeflife goes through.

It was fun introducing my brother and his family to Bonaire for the first time, and my son, 16 and daughter, 20 had a lot of fun showing their cousins their favorite sites. The Hilma Hooker wreck is always fun to take new divers to see, and a great site to pose a diver on the prop for a photo. Then 10 to 12 Tarpon in the holds are always a surprise the first time too!

Thousand Steps is another Bonaire classic site, and this site was in MUCH better shape than I had expected, after seeing the devistation that Omar did to Oil Slick, just a bit further south. Didn't seem like one thousand step anymore, now that my son is grown and the gf is a more confident diver. Carrying tanks for 2 dives and three people my first time at the steps 5 years ago it did seem like there were one thousand steps.

One of our favorite site, for everyone, and for some of my dawm solo dives was Yellow Submarine, at Wanna Dive's shop on the waterfront near Something Special. Easy entry, sheltered form surge and lots to see. Still a bit of junk though, even after some recent clean ups, but way cleaner than this site was just this last Jan.

Another site we returned to repeatedly was Windsock, right by the airport, early mornings, before the locals hit the beach. I did one pre dawn solo, photo dive here too, as well as Bari Reef off Buddy and Yellow Sub.

Having 7 divers and one snorkeler we had a pretty large group, and 2 were brand new divers, while the gf is pretty new and nervious, so most of my diving was at other diver's paces, but I did slip away early mornings to do my own slow photo dives, where I could spend an hour at my own pace, watching the reef's "changing of the guard".

My son Morgan and his cousin both turned 16 while we were on Bonaire so we gave them windsurfing day passes. With no lessons, but just by watching they quickly picked up the basics and had a ball at this OTHER Bonaire favorite sport. The bay where they windsurf on the East side is windsurfer's paradise; shallow bay, sandy bottom and constant wind!
I only tried it a few times, but I'm not 16, or the athlete these two boys are, so my windsurfing attempts were mostly face planting and back flopping! :D

Got to run, but I'll post a couple of pics in a bit.

Glad everything went well.

May see you there in a couple of years - I have a 12 year old niece coming along that I plan to get to Bonaire to dive in a couple of years.

Morgan_s_16_bd_windsurf.jpg

Mines_bigger_than_yours1.jpg

Cowfish_at_dawn.jpg

you_can_t_see_me.jpg

Morgan_with_the_Hooker.jpg

baby_on_dawn_snorkel.jpg

dawn_morray.jpg

Pina_colada_islandstyle.jpg

dawn_bonaire_030.jpg

Jim - Thank you for posting the report and the pics. Gotta get myself to Bonaire!!

Jim - Thank you for posting the report and the pics. Gotta get myself to Bonaire!!

Let's see, easy shore diving, great reef life, lots of dive sites to explore, friendly people, tons of other friendly divers, good food and none of this soggy NY non summer! Sign me up!

Jim:

Great report. Love the pic of the kissing fish. I will be staying at LBR in October and using Buddy's for the shore dive package - as well as the Bar at Buddy's after diving. Love that operation.

Very nice pics. Tx for posting them. It makes me so anxious to go back. I love the early dawn dives too. It's so cool to see the reef come to life as the sun rises. I hear ya about finding summer. It's been a cool one here in Wisconsin too.

I gotta get to Bonaire.... hmmmm... anyone have tomorrow's lottery numbers?

Very nice pics. Tx for posting them. It makes me so anxious to go back. I love the early dawn dives too. It's so cool to see the reef come to life as the sun rises. I hear ya about finding summer. It's been a cool one here in Wisconsin too.

Two of my favorite times on the reef are those times when the reeflife is adjusting to the changing light. Dawn dives and late afternoon, just when the Creole Wrasses' all rise to the mid water above the reef are just as much fun as night dives, but at dawn I usually have the entire reef to myself, which is real good for the soul!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom