Tragedy and happiness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sat Diver

Reaction score
# of dives
I have just returned from a very odd job. I was involved in helping coordinate a rescue mission on two divers trapped in seventy feet of water. One diver was trapped and already confirmed dead and two more were trapped and alive. This occurred when a salvage load on a ten thousand pound lift bag came unstable and fought the divers. All were on surface supply air umbilical open circuit. I took us four days to get them out, but they are safe. Out of the chamber and in hospital. The guy who died was 21 years old. Three years in the business. Got his body out after four days of being dead. Very hard for his family.

Sorry about the guy who didn't make it ... glad to hear the other two will be OK.

As Meatloaf once put it ... two outta three ain't bad ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yes. It is a bitter sweet victory. Happy, but no celebration.

Reactions: Jax
So sorry to hear about the guy not making it out. I am glad that the other two are alive, will be thinking of the family.

Yipes -- four days of being trapped? I'm surprised the survivors are sane. Glad you at least got two out safely.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to accidents and incidents

Good job on saving those who could be saved.

Good job rescuing the ones that could be saved, that is all that could be done.

But how does one live for 4 days under water? Open circuit umbilical - that would mean they would have a whole suit/helmet right?. How do they stay hydrated, eat, sleep, deal with the cold etc. I'm exhausted after spending a few hours in the water.. very courageous men to be able to hang on that long.

Very sorry for the loss. I can’t think of a more stressful situation than you and the crew were under. Congratulations on an extremely difficult rescue. You must be exhausted.

How did you manage hyp[-]e[/-]orthermia and dehydration? How did you accommodate what was essentially an emergency air saturation decompression? Did you have a deck chamber for surface decompression or a bell brought onsite?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom