Are you a recreational, rectech or technical diver.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teamcasa

Sr. Moderator
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just exactly what is the difference? Better yet, how do you perceive the differences?

I’m not interested in getting into a debate on the merits of any one diving style or gear selection so please let’s not get into any squabbles over DIR/GUE, long hoses or split fins. Let’s just discuss how you see yourself and what additional training plans you may have are.

Me, I’m purely a recreational diver. While I do use a modified backplate/harness/wing BC, dive mostly dry and use Nitrox from time to time, I don’t consider myself anything more than an avid recreational diver.

I have no plans for pursuing any cave or wreck (penetration) diving nor do I have any desire to go below 130’. I shoot video when I dive, have fun and just enjoy being underwater. I’m not going to criticize or even comment on your choice of gear as long as you know how to dive in it. I don’t care if you are the coolest or silliest looking diver as long as your skills in the water are up to scratch.

I may take some additional courses (if my wife really wants to) but it’s not high on my list of must do’s.

I’m all about having a great time and enjoying diving and sharing that same joy with others.

Since I've never been paid to dive, I'm a recreational diver.

Given the common understanding (extended deco, stage deco, overhead), some of my dives are tech dives. It's easier to call them "tech dives" than it is to call them "recreational technical dives" or "techreational dives."

Also: in before Walter says "there's no such thing as technical diving. It's just a term made up to boost egos."

I look at myself as a recreational diver with a tech twitch. Just getting started it is more of where I want to go. All the guys that I dive with around here are Adv Trimix divers and as I work on skills and get to that level that is where I would eventually like to be....so that I can dive all the dives with them....not just some of them. However I do dive strictly for recreational purposes...it is all for fun. So I guess you could call me a recreational technical wanna be...

Well, Dave, I think all diving is either recreational, commercial, or scientific. Lets throw out scientific and commercial, and what is left is recreational.

Recreational diving has many different levels of learning. I don't like overheads, so I don't penetrate wrecks or go in caves/caverns. I do like to look at wrecks, however, and the ones I particularly like to look at are the ones that every dayboat in the keys can't go to. So I like expedition wrecks that are in the 200-300 foot range. I have taken training and have practiced in the gear required to accomplish that task safely.

I still think it's recreational. Yes, there are special procedures to be followed, but doesn't that apply to any diving? I have clients/students/guests that get wrapped around the axle that it isn't diving anymore, now it's technical diving. I say "horse pucky" in the words of Col. Potter. It's just diving. Anytime you are carrying your air supply into a hostile environment procedures must be followed and plans made. Maybe moreso than on a pretty reef in 15 feet of water, but it is all just diving.

Frank

Well, Dave, I think all diving is either recreational, commercial, or scientific.

Data%20Mask%20in%20use-Military.jpg

I use the term Wreckreational diver. I've made a lot of staged deco dives, but most of my diving these days is from the beach. I get just as much enjoyment out of getting a nudibranch photo as I do a wolf eel on a deep wreck.

Agree with Blackwood and Wookie. I don't get paid for this. For me, it's all recreational.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom