Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: A great diver at 13

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Thanks for the positive comments. Not sure I should let him read this stuff, his head is aready pretty big.
    SCUBA Diving: The only sport where grown men will brag about how low their sac is.

NA

5 knot spearo

If you have the power to stop him from reading stuff on the internet, he listens well, as has been demonstrated on Vid.

ScubaBoard Supporter
    Go Red - Support SB!

"She turned me into a
    Newt"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by dumpsterDiver View Post
    Thanks for the positive comments. Not sure I should let him read this stuff, his head is aready pretty big.
    He deserves his bragging Rights! He handled the situation very well. I would be proud as all hell to have a son/ dive buddy like him. You also are to be commended, involving a young boy in something such as this and obviously tutoring him also. Keep it up!

Divemaster
    Badge

Dives for Fun!

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VooDooGasMan View Post
    This kid actually takes reg out to speak very calm, resolves problem extremely fast. this is a typical mishap and with a fine diver who would make this little diver has done a great job.

I can see it was dan volker who was his instructor from the free dive fins on scuba.

Well done kido, and a spearo you are.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/acc...yesterday.html

DD freedives with his son at the BHB alot...we have seen them often...he has done a spectacular job of training his son to scuba dive...and I think the freedive training was a big part of that.
    Regards,
    Dan Volker
    South Florida Dive Journal SFDJ.COM & www.facebook.com/WILD.DIVING

Registered

wonders whether Schrödinger
    liked having pets

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Thanks for sharing the video, VDGM.

The young diver responded calmly to the gas incident. It would have been helpful to have wet notes or a dive slate so that the son could have communicated the pony bottle issue and what he did to address it.

Morays have poor eyesight. I'm not surprised that one would go after the "scent" of a speared fish. FWIW, I've seen far more aggressive morays during mating season. The father's excitement level (yelling through the reg) seemed to be a little out of proportion with the actions of the moray, if you ask me.

Don't spearfishermen usually attach the catch bag to a separate buoy/buoyline so that they aren't attacked by other fish predators (sharks, morays, etc.)? I can see there being pros and cons to this if he's already maintaining a tow line to a surface float for Florida diving.
    Ear Equalization problems? Check out Dr. Kay's Ear Lecture for Divers.

What would you do? ScubaBoard has a "What if...?" series geared for beginner divers.

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon- View Post
    Everything on here is an opinion. Not asking anyone to agree with mine, same as I don't always agree with other people's.
    LOL Of course most things on here are opinion, interspersed with a fact or two. I apologize if you took my post to mean I thought you did not have a right to an opinion, I certainly did not. In fact, I am not sure I disagree with you about spearfishing.

My point was - when you said "I may be harsh but I disagree" I thought you were disagreeing with VGM's title "A Great Diver at 13." I was just pointing out what I thought about your logic in relation to that premise - for example, there was one or two points that didn't really didn't have anything to do with the 13 year old's skills. IMHO, of course.
    How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean --Arthur C Clark

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbletrubble View Post
    ...Morays have poor eyesight. I'm not surprised that one would go after the "scent" of a speared fish. FWIW, I've seen far more aggressive morays during mating season. The father's excitement level (yelling through the reg) seemed to be a little out of proportion with the actions of the moray, if you ask me.
    The eel left it's hole and was coming for me. I had no weapon and I kicked it, you did see the eel actually bite my fin tip, right?

With a fish hanging from my waist, I honestly don't think that communicating the desirability of poking the eel was too far over the top. It is not like we could just leave, I had to unhook the reef hook/reel.

As for the yelling, I do that a lot (even underwater), if you listen to the video, my son yells to me too, to signal that the eel is following us from behind. In any regard, he is used to me talking/yelling underwater.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever been bit by an eel? I have been nailed several times from small spotted ones. One time I could clearly hear the bones of my hand making a crunching sound when it bit down. I'm a big pussy...
    SCUBA Diving: The only sport where grown men will brag about how low their sac is.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Cool video! I would be proud if it were my son also!!!!

Registered

wonders whether Schrödinger
    liked having pets

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    As for the yelling, I do that a lot (even underwater), if you listen to the video, my son yells to me too, to signal that the eel is following us from behind. In any regard, he is used to me talking/yelling underwater.
    To tell you the truth, I've never gone diving with anyone who made it a habit of yelling through the reg like that.
    I prefer the meditative sound of my bubbles and nothing else.
    I have experimented with talking through the reg. It works, but I don't like doing it. It's reminiscent of adult-speak in a Charlie Brown cartoon: "Wahwah. Wahwah. Wahwahwahwah..."

Just out of curiosity, have you ever been bit by an eel? I have been nailed several times from small spotted ones. One time I could clearly hear the bones of my hand making a crunching sound when it bit down. I'm a big pussy...
    Nope, I've never been bitten by an eel. I don't have as many dives as you do, so perhaps it's due to inexperience. I don't know. Then again, I try hard not to touch things while diving. I don't hunt UW with dead fish strapped to my waist. I also don't poke my hands into dark crevices while I'm diving. I like having fingers...I use them all the time.
    Ear Equalization problems? Check out Dr. Kay's Ear Lecture for Divers.

What would you do? ScubaBoard has a "What if...?" series geared for beginner divers.

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbletrubble View Post
    Then again, I try hard not to touch things while diving. I don't hunt UW with dead fish strapped to my waist. I also don't poke my hands into dark crevices while I'm diving. ......

You don't know what you are missing!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast