Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: leaking first stage

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I just don't log dives

leaking first stage

Ok, made a mistake of selling of all my scubapro gear last year. Had to start this year cheap with a new mares MR12 T first stage. Got it on Ebay, so forget about the warranty. QUESTION: I just hookd it out for the first time and it is leaking a small amount of air out of the back of the first stage from under the black cove. I haven't dove it yet, so I don't know if it will stop when it hits the water. Any help?
    Thanks in advance.

Dive Charter

sailing the inland seas.

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by jmneill View Post
    Ok, made a mistake of selling of all my scubapro gear last year. Had to start this year cheap with a new mares MR12 T first stage. Got it on Ebay, so forget about the warranty. QUESTION: I just hookd it out for the first time and it is leaking a small amount of air out of the back of the first stage from under the black cove. I haven't dove it yet, so I don't know if it will stop when it hits the water. Any help?
    Thanks in advance.
    Do you mean to say that you are planning to dive with a regulator that is obviously defective? The only regulator that I am aware of that "leaks" from the first stage under normal contitions is Sherwood. Your regulator needs repair before it is used.
    Hatul likes this.
    Safe diving,
    Capt. Dale Bennett

Instructor Trainer / Boat Captain

Lake Michigan Charters - Newbies to Technical Divers
    Instruction - Open water to Tri-mix Instructor

"Breath out; breath in; repeat as necessary."

Registered

Has set a "Status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Whenever buying a used regulator with an unknown or dubious service history, it's very wise to have it serviced before using it -- why risk having it fail on you at depth?

Regs should not leak, especially from the first stage itself.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Roko; April 5th, 2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: typo
    If I can't scuba, what's this all been about.. What am I working towards?

My Dive Photos - http://dive.roko.ca

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Regulator is new in box. And do I plan to dive it? Yes. I am still looking for any help as to an actual usable answer on this.
    Thanks again.

Registered

Mounts it side-like

Dives
    200 - 499
    it sounds like a very similar problem to one I've just recently had. It is most likely the clamping seal between the diaphragm and the body is leaking. Highly recommended to take it in for servicing as when you hit the water this leak is not going to stop and will most likely result in a catastrophic failure of your first stage and free flow at a high rate.

DO NOT DIVE IT UNTIL ITS SERVICED

Registered

hasn't set a status.

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by jmneill View Post
    Regulator is new in box. And do I plan to dive it? Yes. I am still looking for any help as to an actual usable answer on this.
    Thanks again.

Make sure you have a reliable redundant air source. Leaks rarely go away on their own. Many change little and very slowly. A few change rapidly to a major gas loss. If you know your regulator and are confident about how your problem is likely to progress, it might not be bad to finish a dive with such a problem. Heading off to start a dive with such a problem is not smart.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Quote Originally Posted by awap View Post
    Make sure you have a reliable redundant air source. Leaks rarely go away on their own. Many change little and very slowly. A few change rapidly to a major gas loss. If you know your regulator and are confident about how your problem is likely to progress, it might not be bad to finish a dive with such a problem. Heading off to start a dive with such a problem is not smart.
    Yes, I have decided to drive it to a service center and spend the money I saved by buying it online. Ironic, I really liked my Scubapro gear because the haven't sold out to online dealers, and the first time I step away from them I get bitten. lol Lessons learned....

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
    Please visit our Sponsor Page!

SEI/CMAS/SDI/TDI Instructor

Dives
    500 - 999
    Blog Entries
    New in box regs should not leak. New as in when was it new? At a minimum I would have someone who knows what they are doing remove the yoke assembly and take a look to see what is going on. I rebuilt an MR12 for a buddy a few months ago. Not much too them and easy to service. I don't have the manual in front of me now to see what could be going on and what specifically needs replaced, tightened, etc. And if I did I'd hesitate to give advice over the net to just anyone. If you know how to service regs in general it should be easy to determine. If not find someone local who does and spend a few bucks for them to take a look at it.
    Quality SKILLS AND EDUCATION BASED Training via SEI/CMAS/SDI/TDI -UDM AQUATIC SERVICES.

AUTHOR : SCUBA:A Practical Guide for the New Diver 2nd Edition Print here!
    Kindle here

UDM Aquatics Blog

Offering HOG/EDGE Gear, Manta Industries/Highseas Millworks, and Apollo Sports Products

jimlap212@comcast.net for info and orders or call 724-255-3765

There are SCUBA Divers who are safe, skilled, and independent explorers with a sense of adventure. Then there are Underwater Tourists who need constant supervision. UDM Aquatics trains SCUBA Divers. To see how and why we do that click here

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Lapenta View Post
    New in box regs should not leak. New as in when was it new? At a minimum I would have someone who knows what they are doing remove the yoke assembly and take a look to see what is going on. I rebuilt an MR12 for a buddy a few months ago. Not much too them and easy to service. I don't have the manual in front of me now to see what could be going on and what specifically needs replaced, tightened, etc. And if I did I'd hesitate to give advice over the net to just anyone. If you know how to service regs in general it should be easy to determine. If not find someone local who does and spend a few bucks for them to take a look at it.
    Brand new, in box unopened. manufacture date of 10/11
    I think it boils down to you get what you pay for in this instance. I wouldn't be afraid to dive with this rig once fixed, but would spend more money the next time for sure. I had read positive reviews on this reg, but I think those folks might have never owned any real quality gear to compare this stuff to...

Registered

likes getting wet!

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    You live in the only state where reg service may be reasonable. Then again you live North, but maybe you have good service close? I would have purchased a Zeagle as they are made in Zephyrhills, FL - 1 1/2 hours from your door. Assume any scuba gear you buy on EBAY may need service, especially regulators.

New Regs without a warranty are about the only scuba gear I avoid buying on Ebay as service costs can destroy any savings. Reg service runs minimum $60 for first and second. I assume the cost of service will be part of the total price when buying used. Learning to service your own can be worthwhile, but the classes can be expensive. A book is a good way to learn if you are mechanically inclined. Getting service parts may be difficult.

In any event, did you learn anything?
    Ron
    http://ronfrankweb.weebly.com/index.html
    Protect Florida's Precious BARRIER REEF! go HERE to Help
    My PBASE Gallery is HERE
    Looking for Used Gear, checkout SCUBA SITEMASH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast