Reasons to take a propulsion/trim/buoyancy class...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Two of my absolute favorite topics to teach are propulsion and trim/neutral buoyancy. Yes, they are what matter most to me when teaching OW and my students would never have to take such a class. However, I am constantly reminded when diving and seeing how others dive, that my concept of trim and neutral buoyancy don't match many of the divers I see kicking around on the reef. I was teaching such a class this past weekend, and I had the temerity to ask few people on the boat how they felt about their skills in this respect. All of them thought they were well above average. All of them. The guy who left a trail of silt everywhere he went? "I'm pretty comfortable keeping off the reef". The guy who left an impact crater under the boat? "You've got to be neutral! I believe in that." The lady kicked, gorgonians, fans, corals, you name it? "My instructor was pretty militant about us staying above the reef." It was obvious from the interactions that the only one on the boat who thought they had a problem with propulsion, trim and buoyancy was my student. She was also the one who made the least impact on the reef.

Here's the sad part, my student had done two "refresher" courses with her dive shop and she still felt she needed work. I asked her how she knew she still needed help and the answer was simple: a photograph. She saw her trim compared to other divers and she didn't like what she saw. She also felt somewhat uncomfortable (out of control?) while she was diving. The happy part is that she identified her need and did something about it.

Still, the vast majority of divers need help and yet they seem clueless about that fact. Sure, a part of it boils down to pride and some of comes from out and out denial. I think a lot of it just stems from simple ignorance. The divers who need help simply don't know what's acceptable. Now, you might be wondering if you need to take a class like this, and so I'm going to make a list of "tell tale" signs that might aid you in evaluating your diving.

• High SAC rate (over .7). Let's face it. One of the most obvious things about a person who has not mastered neutral buoyancy is that they are "air hogs". They are almost always the first to call a dive. Sure, there are some tiny little women who don't have a clue about neutral buoyancy who dive longer than some. There will always be exceptions, but if your SAC (Surface Air Consumption) is high, then you probably need help.
  • Scuffed fins. Sure, they get a few scuffs out of the water, but your fins should not look like they've been through WWIII. Are they old and scuffed from previous dives? Put a thin coat of paint on them that contrasts with your fin color. Check them after your dives.
  • Non posed pictures. Ask your buddies to take a candid shot or two of you while diving. This should be indicative of your normal attitude in the water. If a picture is worth a thousand words, then a video is worth nigh on to a million. Break out the Go Pros and swap taking vids of each other.
  • Look ma, no hands! Can you make an entire dive without sculling with your hands? Of course, I've had the worst hand scullers claim that they just don't do that. It's an unconscious thing and perhaps it will take a video to convince you that you are a sculler.
  • Gittin' froggy with it! If your predominant kick or only kick is the flutter then consider taking such a class.
  • Personal tests. Go to a pool and attempt the following:

• Blind neutral hover. Get comfortable about a foot off of the bottom. Close your eyes and hold your position for 20, 40 and then 60 seconds. Where are you in respect to where you started?
  • Mask R&R. Get comfortable about a foot off the bottom. Take your mask off and breathe 5 cycles. Replace the mask. Where are you in respect to where you started? You can vary this with reg recovery, OOA etc.
  • BCD R&R mid water. Can you do this?

• Ask your buddy! But remember, if his trim is poor, he might give you a glowing review. In that case, suggest that you take the class together.
  • Unsolicited comments from other divers. There is always going to be an occasional criticism about how you dive. If these criticisms seem to be constant and incessant, then get some help.
  • Your significant other dives, but you don't enjoy it! If you feel out of control or even unsafe, then find one of these classes.

Make no doubt about it. If you fall into one or more of these categories, you don't have to take a class. You can work all of this out on your own or with a mentor(s). There are a number of instructors who don't get it either, and obviously taking this class from them will do wonders for your ego, but not a whole lot for your skills. Personally, I consider this a remedial class. I won't make you feel embarrassed about it, but you'll find a lot of what we do is go through your OW skills one by one with the goal of getting you comfortable and neutral. Every instructor is different, so don't sweat it if they teach on a different trek.

Make no doubt about it #2. If you take a class like this, your diving is still up to you. We can only give you the tools to shape your dive. You'll have to take these tools and start to implement and refine them as you dive. My students usually notice an immediate decrease in their SAC and an increase in their bottom time, but I would be a fraud if I suggested that your SAC would drop to .4 overnight or even at all.

Last edited:
Absolutely agree Pete... especially in regards to photo/video feedback. I record most training dives via GoPro now...and it really helps get results.

Photo from my last course.. student had 9 dives total (OW & AOW) and hadn't dived at all for 2 years. It was a wreck course.. first dive entirely devoted to buoyancy, trim and propulsion. Second dive (ostensibly 'mapping a wreck') but focusing on task loading, team skills and retaining/gaining situational awareness. The photo is from the start of dive #3...line laying practice and overhead contingency drills...

attachment.php

(Oh yeah, got him into BP&W with long hose also....)

Crux of the matter... motivated student, plus decent learning tools = real development.

Attachments

• WILLIAM-WRECK-web.jpg
    WILLIAM-WRECK-web.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 3,195
I know a dive shop that does not "push" the buoyancy class and rarely offers it. I had the occasion to be on the same boat as their dive club a while back. It was the worse group of divers I had seen in quite a while in terms of staying off the bottom, etc. They clearly needed it. They were doing AOW and told to run a line. No instruction apparently on what that meant since the wreck started looking like a giant drunk spider had been there.

Reef beaters beget more reef beaters. It's a vicious cycle. It's important to note, that my remedial class is not much different than my OW class. No, it doesn't take nearly as long, but we are doing the very same skills. Only this time, they are doing them mid water just like my OW classes do.

I should also emphasize here that this is not an especially difficult class. There are no tears, needless drama or accusations. My approach is quite gentle and even nurturing, just like my OW class.

I have been doing Advanced Buoyancy classes with video feedback for years. I have had everyone from basic recreational divers to side-mount, divers with doubles and rebreather divers take my program. As you can see, I taylor this class for the person in it, but the common skills/fountdation is all the same! Buoyancy (breathing & reference points), Trim (Head up, arms out, stiffen shoulder blades, crunch but cheeks, ankles close to but & point toes) & Propulsion (Frog w/mod, flutter w/mod, Heli turns, reverse kick) if you have that, sky's the limit and you will have control and can focus on the task/skill!

Instead of adding another unnecessary class, why not just make neutral buoyancy requisite to pass OW?
I have presented a number of reasons to seek out and take a class like this. I guess we could deny that these problems exist, or we can do our best to resolve them. As I stated in the OP, this is not a class my OW graduates will ever have to take. However, there are a lot of divers who are frustrated as heck with feeling out of control on a dive even after passing a class and two refreshers! For these divers, I think it's only fair that they are given the tools they should have been given in OW class. It's not their fault and there is no harm in learning these skills.

Instead of adding another unnecessary class, why not just make neutral buoyancy requisite to pass OW?

I will echo what NetDoc has said. After taking my OW class the class focused very little on trim, buoyancy and propulsion. After reading a lot on SB and other dive sites, as well as being truly self-critical I noticed my skills in this area were severely lacking and instead of just ignoring it or blaming the instructor and ignoring it I went out and tried to fix the problem myself. I noticed right off I'd hand scull a lot and trying to get rid of that aspect. I used to the inflate button on my BCD to change depths and everything, and one of the first things I did was to use my breathing to control ascent/descent (IE breath bit shallower to sink down, but deeper to rise up, never breath holding).

Honestly, I would rate myself as below average on these things and when I go for my AOW one of the dives will be PBB for it.

As the student that worked with NetDoc this past weekend, I will give you a few of my thoughts on why I decided to take a trim/propulsion/buoyancy class.

First, a bit about me as a diver. I was certified while on vacation in Belize. I learned all my skills on my knees and ran into a problem learning one of the skills (reg recovery) that has haunted me until this past weekend. Due to an injury and school it was a year and a half between being certified and my next diving trip. I knew that my skills needed some help so I did two refresher courses with my LDS. I loved the refreshers and felt like I wouldn't be too terrible a newbie on the dive trip. So, in February off I went on the trip with several ScubaBoarders. I watched the other divers and their techniques and I wanted to emulate them. In one picture that was taken of me I was practically vertical, and I didn't like that at all.

Several people were encouraging me to get my AOW, but I didn't feel confident enough in my skills to tackle it. I knew my weight distribution needed help, I only knew the flutter kick, and trim.. what's that? So I decided that I needed a remedial class for me to feel comfortable in moving forward with my certifications. Remember, I am OW certified via PADI and I didn't feel like I had the skills necessary to get my AOW. On my trip to Key Largo this past weekend I decided that instead of trying to focus on getting in a bunch of dives to get my AOW, I would go back to the basics. NetDoc has a fabulous class that focuses on singling out your weaknesses and getting you to where you want to be.

If you feel at all uncomfortable in your skills or nervous about taking the next jump in your certifications, I highly suggest a course like this. I learned so much this past weekend and I am now much more confident in my skills and my ability to get my AOW on my next trip down to Key Largo.

Happy diving!
-aeweems12

Back
Top Bottom