suunto vyper -air integrated?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldNSalty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was wondering if this model is air integrated or not. I am looking at a used one with no transmitter. I thought I had seen the viper on line with a transmitter but when I look in the owners manual for a viper I didn't see any mention of using it with a wireless transmitter.

I've also seen the transmitters for sell by themselves

Or there different versions or am I just mistaken? Can I buy a viper and then buy the transmitter later?

There are Suunto computers with similar names.
"Older" models include: the Vyper (does not offer hoseless air-integration) and the Vytec (does offer hoseless air-integration).
The current Suunto dive computer line includes the plain old Vyper, but it still lacks the feature of hoseless air-integration. A current model is the Vyper Air, which does offer the option for hoseless air-integration. AFAIK, the Vytec has been discontinued.

I own an older Suunto Vyper. As previously mentioned, there is no way to connect it to a Suunto hoseless transmitter since it lacks the receiver "guts." I like it, though. It's a good computer. It is nitrox-capable, easy to read, easy to use, Mac/PC downloadable, backlit, wristmount-able, and has a gauge mode. The user-replaceable battery is very easy to change.

If you are purchasing a used computer, it's important to identify the name/model of the computer. I've seen Craigslist and Ebay ads where the seller has labeled the item for sale incorrectly.

When in doubt, contact Suunto directly.

bummer...but thanks for the info.

Huh? As Bubbletrubble and Tortuga wrote, there are two models available at the moment: the Vyper (not integrated) and the Vyper Air (integrated with optional link. also with built-in compass).

OK-I get it now. I guess I need to see what model it is then. He said it was a "viper air/nitrox" which untill I actually get my hands on it and look at his owners manual I have no way of telling what it is really. He may not even know.

Thanks all

Vyper without Air Integration has bare metal buttons 2 at the bottom marked "Plan" & "Time" and 1 on the right side of the face marked "Mode". They Vyper Air has 4 buttons covered by rubber tabs 1 each on the left and right marked "Select" & "Mode" and 2 at the bottom marked "Down" & "Up". So you should be able to determine very quickly which unit you are looking at. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom