Question for the Alabama Folks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greenlegs

New
Reaction score
I was up feeding the baby and got to thinking...since I wasn't finding many good answers from the above-water crowd I thought I would ask you divers...I went on a mission to find my 'reefmaker' reefs after Hurricane Ivan this past week and couldn't find any evidence of them on my sounder. They were in 95-100 feet of water and nothing showed up on the screen. I performed a very serious grid search mostly going north and west but nothing could be found. I am assuming they are covered by mud however the depth hasn't changed. What are you guys finding? They were really producing the snapper and I am sick to lose them. Greenlegs

greenlegs:
I was up feeding the baby and got to thinking...since I wasn't finding many good answers from the above-water crowd I thought I would ask you divers...I went on a mission to find my 'reefmaker' reefs after Hurricane Ivan this past week and couldn't find any evidence of them on my sounder. They were in 95-100 feet of water and nothing showed up on the screen. I performed a very serious grid search mostly going north and west but nothing could be found. I am assuming they are covered by mud however the depth hasn't changed. What are you guys finding? They were really producing the snapper and I am sick to lose them. Greenlegs

I'm over in Pcola, but have not heard of a lot of stuff moved over here. One guy that I know put out a bunch of the pyramid type reefs in 150' but they are all still there. He has dove on them since Ivan and said he couldnt tell they were moved at all.

I think I remember Stone saying he noticed movement on some of the sites in Destin, FL after Ivan.

I haven't heard anyone saying anything really moved much offshore Gulf Shores/Orange Beach though.

Some of the Tanks move. There were 2 side by side sitting upright before the storm now one is upside down on top of the other. Also the bridge pillings that were close to the 3 mile barge are nowhere to be found. I've heard of a lot more that moved. Boats, Barges and ships all seme to have more cracks and holes, which is not a bad thing.

algulfdiver:
Some of the Tanks move. There were 2 side by side sitting upright before the storm now one is upside down on top of the other. Also the bridge pillings that were close to the 3 mile barge are nowhere to be found. I've heard of a lot more that moved. Boats, Barges and ships all seme to have more cracks and holes, which is not a bad thing.

No kidding! The pilings were one of my favorite shallow dives. They weren't supposed to be there -- got dumped by accident. Not too many people knew they were there. I laid on my back one day there and watched spanish mackeral attack bait fish in the water column above me. Fantastic! Sorry to hear they're not there. Covered up or moved -- do you know?

Ivan's surge reached down over 100'. I doubt your reef balls (or whatever your site was made of) got covered up, but at 90-100' they probably got moved. Because at that depth it's the surge that breaks things loose and moves 'em around, and because the surge shifts direction as the storm moves, things can move in just about any direction.
I'd do an expanding square from your last good GPS or LORAN position, not just North & West.
Opal moved some big stuff in the 80-90' range over a mile, so don't be surprised if Ivan did even more and you come up dry for your stuff. The good news is that in that part of the gulf you're liable to find someone else's stuff that got moved close to your old site.
:)
Rick

algulfdiver:
Boats, Barges and ships all seme to have more cracks and holes, which is not a bad thing.

Now that you mention it, I do know the superstructure on the "Navy Tug" was ripped off. Looks more like a barge now than it does a tug.

One of the bridge spans now has chicken coops lodged all around and even under it.
Chicken Coops are the cages that are used to haul chickens on a flat bed truck, people put them down as private reefs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom