Question about Dry Suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phylo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I have noticed that almost all of the pics I see of DIR folks diving in dry suits that they are wearing Tri-Lam suits? I was wondering what the DIR take on this is.. Are there reasons that a tri-lam is prefered over a crushed/compressed neoprene suit?

Thanks
Phil

phylo:
I have noticed that almost all of the pics I see of DIR folks diving in dry suits that they are wearing Tri-Lam suits? I was wondering what the DIR take on this is.. Are there reasons that a tri-lam is prefered over a crushed/compressed neoprene suit?

Thanks
Phil

The main in water reasons are greater mobility and more comfort than anything else out there. It has the added bonus of being the fastest drying as well.

Interesting -- mobility/comfort seems a plus for the crushed/compressed neoprene approach, as well as general toughness.
End of the day, I guess what matters is if it works for the individual.

Well, one of the reasons which is rather reasonable for me is when diving either caves or wrecks - neopren ones are easier to rend that tri-lam ones.
Mania

markfm:
Interesting -- mobility/comfort seems a plus for the crushed/compressed neoprene approach, as well as general toughness.

No, the best crushed neoprene is not even close to the mobility of a good trilam.

markfm:

Please read the rules of posting in the DIR forum.

What matters is what's DIR. DIR gear is all about standardization NOT what works for this guy and that guy. The DUI TLS 350 Cave Cut, or a TLS350 with a nice close fit is the preferred suit.

There's a bunch of stuff in the DIR gear configuration that may not work for the individual right away (bolt snaps, butt dump, continuous webbing) but with training and practice the diver will eventually see the benefits and adapt to the gear as apposed to finding an easy and sub par alternative that works for him or her.

CALI68:
The DUI TLS 350 Cave Cut, or a TLS350 with a nice close fit is the preferred suit.

Actually, it is *a* preferred suit, not *the* preferred suit. Several other manufacturers make suits that conform to the DIR standards....the key things are front zipper, trilam material, GOOD FIT, and flexibility. If your suit fits those requirements, it is DIR. If it doesn't, it isn't.

My opinion is that the TLS350 is not suited for certain types of diving, as the shell material is very prone to rips and tears. Of the many people I know with TLS350s, I only know of one of them who hasn't ripped it in the water somehow.

Soggy:
Actually, it is *a* preferred suit, not *the* preferred suit. Several other manufacturers make suits that conform to the DIR standards....the key things are front zipper, trilam material, GOOD FIT, and flexibility. If your suit fits those requirements, it is DIR. If it doesn't, it isn't.

My opinion is that the TLS350 is not suited for certain types of diving, as the shell material is very prone to rips and tears. Of the many people I know with TLS350s, I only know of one of them who hasn't ripped it in the water somehow.

Actually "the" was correct. It is politically correct to say that other trilams that meet these requirements are acceptable. But, no one has made one as good as the DUI yet. Of course, even the DUI ones now require some retro modifications to get it back to the quality of the older suits.

Soggy:

That's not what I was told by my instructors. For all considerations the TLS350 was THE suit.

You might want to talk to AG, Mike Kane, Tom Rutledge, Dan Mackay and a number of other GUE instructors who might disagree with you.

RTodd:
Actually "the" was correct. It is politically correct to say that other trilams that meet these requirements are acceptable. But, no one has made one as good as the DUI yet. Of course, even the DUI ones now require some retro modifications to get it back to the quality of the older suits.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom