Gear Review: Deep Sea Supply BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Jenny

dirty-finned dive goddess
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Deep Sea Supply Gear Review
Single Tank BP/W
By Scuba_Jenny

Since joining SB and hearing about the BP/W setup, I was first put off by the concept of some techie gear, after all I am a recreational diver, and a beach diver at that, so I pretty much pooh paa’d any mention of the BP/W set up for my needs. Problem was however, I needed 2 BCs. One for my warm water, skins only diving. Why 2 Bc's? Well, um, the original fit me when I first started diving, and let's just say I don't have that hot babe figure any more. So, short of buying a new BC, I borrowed one that fit when I wear lots of neoprene. The Seaquest Explorer (pink trim) worked OK in the summertime. It’s pockets, or better yet the slots for pockets constantly lost stuff and there wasn’t really anywhere to attach stuff. But the worst problem was it only had a wide Velcro cummerbund to close. This is fine, I never had it come apart, but it without a chest strap or other device, the thing would ride up on me and I was constantly pulling it down to keep the cummerbund around the waist. The other problem was the cummerbund only fit if I was wearing skins. So, ok, now for wintertime a buddy lent me his Beachaut BC. Nice, but it was way too big for me even with all the straps pulled tight, but hey! It fit me with my 3mil farmer jane, even if it rode up and the shoulder straps were near my ears.

Time to get a new BC. I kept hearing about a back inflate. Tried a Transpac, but it was too big and improperly adjusted and I rolled most of the dive. A couple of my buddies started telling me about the BP/W as the way to go, but I heard about the face forward problem, and I could only imagine the problems trying to stay afloat in rough water. No thank you. I don’t need any more problems.

However, I kept reading that the BP/W was the way to go, so I asked my buddies about their thoughts on the BP/W and was assured that the problem with the face forward is solved if you don’t inflate the wing the whole way. Ok, I choose to be open to the suggestion. So, I looked at the DiveRite Transpac, and its ability to be customized to my short, well endowed frame. I was quite impressed.

One day I come home to a box sitting on my door step. Inside is the Deep Sea Supply BP/W. Sweet! Can’t wait to try it out.
Now, for checking out gear, I wanted nice calm seas. The day I tried it out it was a bit rough out and found my first problem. When I added air to the wing, I couldn’t feel it “bloat” around the sides like a BC. How was I supposed to know how much was in the bladder? So I hit the surf. Next problem. I put on my gloves on the surface swim out to the reef, but I have no where to put the gloves, where do I put my gloves? Where are the pockets? The surf was just high enough that when I got out far enough to get out of the white crests, it was too deep and I kept getting thrown back into the sand. Oh, to be 5’3” tall! 3 tries later, I made it out and met up with my buddies. We descended and here is where the beauty of the rig came into play.
Understand that where I beach dive, a normal dive is maybe 17ft deep, and with any kind of surge or current we are unable to go below it. So we normally add a couple pounds of weight to compensate. I took off 4 lbs to compensate for the 4# SS backplate, but still had more than enough weight for the conditions. I immediately went to a very comfortable horizontal position and just hung there. I measured the surge to be about 6ft., and I felt completely in control, not lost to the whims of the ocean. I could get pretty high in the water column (normally a NO NO with a BC and surge) and still have lots of control. I had plenty of weight, and still moved with ease. My biggest concern- being in rough surf was tested, and passed! I finished the dive with a big ole grin on my face. I couldn’t wait to try it out again.

The harness can be configured a couple ways, I had it rigged so the straps crossed behind the neck, then down the shoulders and back to the plate. Imagine the way the straps on a backpack run and you will get the idea. The X where the straps crossed rested on my neck and even after a couple adjustments never resolved the slight pressure on the back of my neck. It didn’t hurt during the dive and my neck wasn’t sore after the dive, I just didn’t think it was comfortable.

Dives 2-4. I traveled to the Ginnie Springs and tried some freshwater diving. Adding my 3ml farmer jane, shorty and hood only required minor adjustments, made easier with the velco straps on the front. I had to keep taking off weight, and by dive four was down to only 5lbs! Sweet. One thing I noticed and can now understand why the BP/W is so popular with divers that don’t contend with surge and surf, is at the surface in calm water, I was very high almost my shoulders were out of the water. In the ocean and surface swims where I am on my back, the rig does not lift me out as much as a (proper fitting) BC.

Back in salt water I continued to drop weight. I was at 9lbs, and on two separate dives gave 2lbs away to a buddy who was light, and after only a moment of readjusting, was fine for the rest of the dive. I can take off at least 4lbs (even after compensating of the weight of the SS BP) just because I am not using a BC. Might not be a lot to some folks, but when I am only using 16lbs fully suited, taking 25% weight off is quite signifigant.
Eventually I was able to shed my wetsuit and the BP/W continued to perform well. I am simply amazed at how easy it is to dive in this rig. Currently I am diving in my skins only and am down to 6lbs additional weight. Not bad!

A couple dives ago I decided to change the harness crossing in the back. Took all of 5 minutes to do it and the rig feels much better. It is actually easier to get on and off now. There are plenty of D rings to attach stuff to. Also, I like the holes in the backplate for attaching stuff to that I might need, but don’t want dangling in front/below me.
The plate has these plastic guards of some sort that line the slots so the harness is not rubbing and fraying.

Cons:
  • The two little rubber pieces that hold the wing and backplate together kept coming apart. I finally got a couple ¼” x ¾” stainless steel bolts with wing nuts, and have solved the problem.
  • The Velcro comes apart pretty easily. While this can be a good thing, I wish there were a flap or attachment of some sort to help keep the sides together.
  • The X configuration of the harness. Might work for some people, but it felt like it pulled my shoulders back and after the dive my shoulders would “pop.” Also, the X rested on my neck, although uncomfortable, it did not restrict any movement.
  • Can’t fly. Coming in from a beach dive, if the conditions are right I spread my arms out and go for a ride. Loads of fun. However, there just isn’t enough bulk for the sea to push me now. :( No more flying.

Pros:

• Not cumbersome like a BC. Very streamlined.
  • Control. I am amazed at how I can get 6” from a piece of coral, not touching it or anything else and just hang there. The total movement up, down, left, right is only inches. I can hang perfectly positioned and not impact the reef. I truly become a non intrusive visitor.
  • Able to adjust the harness for my body frame.
  • Lots of D rings that can be positioned to accommodate my needs.
  • Quick release buckles and Velcro straps make getting into and out of easy.
  • Doesn’t take up much room. This will be so much easier to tote with me on a dive trip than the cumbersome BC.

Would I recommend this rig to another diver? Absolutely. I am very pleased, and pleasantly surprised at how easy diving can be. I had (according to my buddies) pretty good trim and am a pretty decent diver to begin with. The BP/W is another step in the right direction to becoming one with the ocean.

Great review and summary of your experience. One question for you, how do I get the Deep Sea rig to magically appear on my doorstep? :)

Jenny,

Thanks for taking the time to review the DSS BP&W.

Glad to hear you had a positive experience.

It sounds like you are aware that it is pretty simple to configure the shoulder straps so they don't cross behind your head. Did you have a chance to try it that way?

The little rubber tabs on the wing are intended only to locate the wing square on the plate. Once you cam the tank down the wing can't move.

The trade off is in ease of teardown and cleanup. I like the rubber buttons because I can seperate the wing from the plate in seconds with my bare hands, great for rincing and packing.

Thanks again for the review, let me know if you have any other questions. We want happy divers!

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
Jenny,

Thanks for taking the time to review the DSS BP&W.

Glad to hear you had a positive experience.

It sounds like you are aware that it is pretty simple to configure the shoulder straps so they don't cross behind your head. Did you have a chance to try it that way?
Yes, I have done the last 5 dives (did about 20 total for the review) with the straps not crossed. I think it was a lot easier to get into and out of the setup that way, and it did not need to be as snug on me either. The chest strap seemed to work better also.
The little rubber tabs on the wing are intended only to locate the wing square on the plate. Once you cam the tank down the wing can't move.

The trade off is in ease of teardown and cleanup. I like the rubber buttons because I can seperate the wing from the plate in seconds with my bare hands, great for rincing and packing.
Agree that once the tank is strapped down it is nice and snug and won't move. My biggest beef is with toting it around, it kept coming apart. Oh, 2 tank bands is nice also!
Thanks again for the review, let me know if you have any other questions. We want happy divers!
My pleasure reviewing the rig. I can't say enough about how nice it is to feel free underwater. I almost felt naked the first dive 'cause I didn't have all kinds of bulk around me. Since this is my first true opportunity to dive a BP/W, I can only speak of this setup, and so far it has been wonderful. Fulfills my needs.

Ahh, the power of the Dark Side!

Great review, Jenny. I just wish I was down there doing the dives with you (or at least seeing you with the straps crossed behind your head!)

Isn't it amazing how much weight you can drop with a BP/W setup, and how much that affects your trim? And your bouyancy is great anyway, so now I guess you're ready to dive with George Irvine and those boys...

Again, that was an excellent review, Buddy. I'll be sure to point some newbies that I know to it to give them a taste of the options available in selecting gear.

All the best,
Grier

Yep, Tobin (cool_hardware52) and Al have created a great product. After their "tester's choice" in the recent issue of SCUBA Diving I hope the world beats a path to their door. IMHO Halcyon produced what I feel was an inferior product due to their lack of attention to detail in the finishing of their plates. I've had friends who had their webbing rub raw fairly quickly due to spurs and other imperfections of the unfinished plates. Tobin paid close attention to these often "overlooked" but fairly critical details.

drbill:
Yep, Tobin (cool_hardware52) and Al have created a great product. After their "tester's choice" in the recent issue of SCUBA Diving I hope the world beats a path to their door. IMHO Halcyon produced what I feel was an inferior product due to their lack of attention to detail in the finishing of their plates. I've had friends who had their webbing rub raw fairly quickly due to spurs and other imperfections of the unfinished plates. Tobin paid close attention to these often "overlooked" but fairly critical details.

Hi DrBill,

Thanks for the kind words. I need to post a review for you. Watched your "Munching and Mating" DVD last night. Very cool. My kids were riveted. (My 10 year old daughter is very interested in Scuba, but still a little young.)

You must have some archive of footage! If you can't get wet your videos are the next best thing.

Thanks again,

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom