Trying to Change Inflator Hose - HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've got a 16" inflator hose on my DiveRite Transpac. I'd like to try a 12" and am right now trying to switch them out. However, a wire runs inside the hose and is attached to both ends of the inflator (i.e., to the inflator mechanism itself and to the end that screws into the wing). A pic is, hopefully, attached. Anyhow, I see no way to change the hose without snipping the wire, which would be permanent. I don't really see that it is particularly important for anything, and I suspect therefore that it is not a big deal, but am apprehensive about doing this without some confirmation that I will not be destroying my BC or risking my life. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Dave

That's the pull dump. Basically, you yank on the inflator hose and air dumps.

Question #1: Do you use the pull dump on your dives? (Sounds like that's gonna be a No.)

I can't tell by the picture, but if its like most inflators, the wire goes around a pin in the inflator mechanism. That pin can be pushed out.

teknitroxdiver:
That's the pull dump. Basically, you yank on the inflator hose and air dumps.

Question #1: Do you use the pull dump on your dives? (Sounds like that's gonna be a No.)

OK. I'm starting to figure this out. You're right, I do not believe I have used the pull dump since my last open water class (~3 yrs ago). I usually use the push button on the in/deflator or the pull dump on the bottom of the wing. I'll try, just for the halibut, to push out the pin and re-attach the cord, although I assume that functionally it will become useless insofar as the wire is going to still be in the ballpark of 16" and the hose is now going to be 12".

Thanks much,
Dave

Actually the only reason I was asking is that if you DO end up not being able to pull the pin or unhook it some other way, if you don't use the pull dump a lot you won't miss it.

However you should be able to unhook it.

I would recommend leaving the hose together....and replacing the whole thing if you want a shorter hose. Keep the other as a spare. I wouldnt waste time taking it apart. You wont save any particular $$$$$$ by taking it apart.

If you don't use the pull dump purchase an elbow with the shorter hose and replace that and push the pin out of the inflator to unhook the wire and put it on the new shorter hose. Elbows are cheap and then you also can use the other as a spare.

When I swapped out the hose on my Venture wing for a shorter one I just put in an elbow instead of the pull dump on the shoulder - they are $9 from http://www.diveriteexpress.com/bcs/aircells.shtml

Aloha, Tim

P.S. Otter is right - mine had a pin that I pulled out which the cable went around...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom