Custom BP / sizing / made to order?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oceancrest67

Reaction score
I am a DM and I have been diving for about 11 years now. I currently use a Dive Rite Transpac as my main BC and I am in the market for a BP / Wing setup for doubles etc.

I talked with another diver friend of mine referencing OMS, Dive Rite and Halcyon products. All of them good but pretty much standard...one size fits all.

I am 6"4" tall and he told me that a custom plate might be a better option, more comfortable option.

Any diver out there with a custom BP set up and advice?

Thank you.

oceancrest67:
I am a DM and I have been diving for about 11 years now. I currently use a Dive Rite Transpac as my main BC and I am in the market for a BP / Wing setup for doubles etc.

I talked with another diver friend of mine referencing OMS, Dive Rite and Halcyon products. All of them good but pretty much standard...one size fits all.

I am 6"4" tall and he told me that a custom plate might be a better option, more comfortable option.

Thank you.

OC,

We make, as do a few others, a small, medium and large BP.

At 6'4 you are a candidate for the large.

I'd be happy to answer any questions, here or via PM's

Tobin

A plug for one of Tobin's rigs.... I have one of his ss backplates/pro harness and am well pleased... his stuff is topnotch...

tstonedvr:
A plug for one of Tobin's rigs.... I have one of his ss backplates/pro harness and am well pleased... his stuff is topnotch...

Another plug for Tobin @ DSS.

Agreed - Tobin's plates look great...

You might also contact FredT here on the board as he has a sizing instruction sheet for those that may fall outside of the standard plate size.

Aloha, Tim

Thanks for the information. I checked out Deep Sea Supply and various rigs on the web site. For those divers following the DIR methodology, any issues with a DSS rig vs. some other rig? Any issues with double tank set up and connectivity with a DSS BP vs. some other BP? How flexible etc?

I know it depends on the diver and the kind of diving. I am just curios about other diver's experiences.

Thank you.

oceancrest67:
Thanks for the information. I checked out Deep Sea Supply and various rigs on the web site. For those divers following the DIR methodology, any issues with a DSS rig vs. some other rig? Any issues with double tank set up and connectivity with a DSS BP vs. some other BP? How flexible etc?

I know it depends on the diver and the kind of diving. I am just curios about other diver's experiences.

Thank you.

OC,

I dive doubles regularly in a DSS plate and a 50 lbs wing. To the best of my knowledge, the only "non-compliant" feature on our wings is the plastic pull knob on the OPV, easily removed.

With a single piece "Hogarthian" harness I see no conflicts.

No bungees, streamlined, short inflation hose, no "pull dump" on the inflation fitting, just an elbow.

All back plates are similar to certain extent, form does follow function, and the one thing pretty much all Backplates have in common is at least one pair of holes at 11" centers for securing bolted manifolded doubles. Our plates have 2 sets, as do some others, for trim adjustment.

We also offer the "Q-Tach" which is a captive thumbwheel to be used in place of the traditional wing nuts for retaining doubles. You can actually use either wing nuts or the "Q-Tach"

Regards,

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
OC,

I dive doubles regularly in a DSS plate and a 50 lbs wing. To the best of my knowledge, the only "non-compliant" feature on our wings is the plastic pull knob on the OPV, easily removed.

With a single piece "Hogarthian" harness I see no conflicts.

No bungees, streamlined, short inflation hose, no "pull dump" on the inflation fitting, just an elbow.

All back plates are similar to certain extent, form does follow function, and the one thing pretty much all Backplates have in common is at least one pair of holes at 11" centers for securing bolted manifolded doubles. Our plates have 2 sets, as do some others, for trim adjustment.

We also offer the "Q-Tach" which is a captive thumbwheel to be used in place of the traditional wing nuts for retaining doubles. You can actually use either wing nuts or the "Q-Tach"

Regards,

Tobin

Tobin:

Thank you for the information. I do like the look of your BP harness system. I will keep your option in mind.

oceancrest67:

Thank you.

Have you tried a standard plate? or just assuming it wouldn't work?

I'm 6' 2" and a standard works well for me. Hard to imagine that a couple of extra inches in height would affect you that much.

bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom